Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+6
Pandora
chi_solas
Hazel
thehungrycaterpillar
JohnC
Milarepa
10 posters

'Moving' Reiki

Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

'Moving' Reiki - Page 3 Empty Re: 'Moving' Reiki

Post by Rlei_ki Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:49 am

Milarepa wrote:So, are you suggesting, it's maybe more worthwhile to get away from any 'Rei' & 'Ki', meanings, and instead, look to the word as whole, for a possible more precise meaning?

Well, whether I am suggesting it or not, the idea has already bugun to take root in your mind...

Wink
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:51 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:So, are you suggesting, it's maybe more worthwhile to get away from any 'Rei' & 'Ki', meanings, and instead, look to the word as whole, for a possible more precise meaning?

Well, whether I am suggesting it or not, the idea has already bugun to take root in your mind...

Wink

Something in my memory is suggesting this chat is familiar, Master yoda. Embarassed
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:54 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Imagine someone who has been attempting to teach themself English as second language.

While they already have a substantial vocabulary, they have heard the following words, but do not know what they mean:
    Antelope, Legend, Idealist, Father, Gauntlet, Target

They decide that the easiest way to grasp the meaning of these words is to break them down into – as they see it – their component parts, and then simply combine the meanings of these parts

and so they begin:

"Antelope? Ant-elope... 'Ant' & 'Elope'! OK, I know these words. Now, just combine the meanings, and... wow, that was easy!"

"Antelope: an insect who runs away with their beloved"

and so, they begin to work their way through the remainder of the words:
    Legend - 'Leg' & 'End'
    Idealist – 'Idea' & 'List'
    Father – 'Fat' & 'Her'
    Gauntlet – 'Gaunt' & 'Let'

Simple, really!

Smile

Whew! I'm glad I don't call myself a the-rapist! Laughing

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:57 am

lmao, jeez, i cna hardly type with laughter! you're firing on all cylinders today bro!
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:59 am

My Japanese is no better than my French but here is another possible example similar to Rei and Ki and Reiki.

Ten = heaven
    Ki = energy
    Tenki = ???

Heaven Energy?

Maybe but it is more commonly translated as the weather! Very Happy

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:01 am

i'm regretting even bringing the subject up now! Laughing .

It's a linguistics dream this forum, hehe.

Or nightmare, Suspect

Perhaps i'd be safer asking why is Reiki called Reiki, and not Ki? pirat

Ok, i'm away to get beat up in 'Lord of the Rings'.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:09 am

Milarepa wrote:i'm regretting even bringing the subject up now! Laughing .

It's a linguistics dream this forum, hehe.

Or nightmare, Suspect

Perhaps i'd be safer asking why is Reiki called Reiki, and not Ki? pirat

The same reason why Wind is called Wind and not Air.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:40 am

Colin wrote:
    My Japanese is no better than my French but here is another possible example similar to Rei and Ki and Reiki.

Ten = heaven
    Ki = energy
    Tenki = ???

Heaven Energy?

hmm,

sounds like someone read my USUI-SENSEI AND REIKI article or at least the part of it I posted on the old reiki-4-all forum

This extract might jog a few memories:

"Many people still incorrectly state that 'Reiki' translates as 'universal energy' - and it must be said that the other common translation: 'Spiritual energy', while perhaps moving far more in the right direction is, it seems, still not quite correct

There are many words in Japanese that may be described as ‘ki-words’ - compound-words formed by adding the familiar ‘ki’ (as in Reiki ) to the end of another word. Examples include: genki, inki, and tenki.

Unfortunately, if we attempt to translate such compound-words by simply translating and combining the meanings of the two individual original words, this will not necessarily give us an accurate translation of the compound-word itself.

Let us take, for example, the word tenki - as a stand-alone, ten signifies heaven, or sky. Ki is of course most commonly translated as spirit, energy (or feeling).

So the compound tenki would therefore perhaps mean:
    “Heavenly Spirit”?
    or maybe
    “Heaven Energy” (as opposed to Earth Energy)?

Well actually it simply means: Weather!

Likewise, combining the literal meanings of the two parts of the compound ‘Reiki’ does not really give us a truly accurate understanding of the compound itself."

Ongoing research would suggest that Reiki - as the term is used in the name Usui Reiki Ryoho - more immediately translates simply as ‘spirit’ or 'spiritual'; thus Usui Reiki Ryoho translates most clearly as: Usui's spiritual healing-method

In certain usage, the kanji-pair used to write Reiki can indicate something like 'spiritual essence' or 'spiritual influence'

As the term Reiki is used in the name Usui Reiki Ryoho, there is not necessarily any direct reference to ‘energy’ - in this context, the ki part of the compound would simply seem to speak to the dynamic - the effect of spirit in action.

Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:52 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Colin wrote:

Ten = heaven
    Ki = energy
    Tenki = ???

Heaven Energy?

hmm,

sounds like someone read my USUI-SENSEI AND REIKI article or at least the part of it I posted on the old reiki-4-all forum

This extract might jog a few memories:

"Many people still incorrectly state that 'Reiki' translates as 'universal energy' - and it must be said that the other common translation: 'Spiritual energy', while perhaps moving far more in the right direction is, it seems, still not quite correct

There are many words in Japanese that may be described as ‘ki-words’ - compound-words formed by adding the familiar ‘ki’ (as in Reiki ) to the end of another word. Examples include: genki, inki, and tenki.

Unfortunately, if we attempt to translate such compound-words by simply translating and combining the meanings of the two individual original words, this will not necessarily give us an accurate translation of the compound-word itself.

Let us take, for example, the word tenki - as a stand-alone, ten signifies heaven, or sky. Ki is of course most commonly translated as spirit, energy (or feeling).

So the compound tenki would therefore perhaps mean:
    “Heavenly Spirit”?
    or maybe
    “Heaven Energy” (as opposed to Earth Energy)?

Well actually it simply means: Weather!

Likewise, combining the literal meanings of the two parts of the compound ‘Reiki’ does not really give us a truly accurate understanding of the compound itself."

Ongoing research would suggest that Reiki - as the term is used in the name Usui Reiki Ryoho - more immediately translates simply as ‘spirit’ or 'spiritual'; thus Usui Reiki Ryoho translates most clearly as: Usui's spiritual healing-method

In certain usage, the kanji-pair used to write Reiki can indicate something like 'spiritual essence' or 'spiritual influence'

As the term Reiki is used in the name Usui Reiki Ryoho, there is not necessarily any direct reference to ‘energy’ - in this context, the ki part of the compound would simply seem to speak to the dynamic - the effect of spirit in action.

Woah! I just kinda got goosebumps after reading that.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:54 am

Thaak wrote:

Which is?
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:55 am

Some more Ki-words:

Kekki ['blood - ki' ] actually means: vigour, ardor

Denki ['dragon ki'] means: electricity

Konki ['root ki'] means: perseverance, patience

Heiki ['flat (or even) ki' ] means: calmness (also indifference)

Gen ki['foundation ki'] means: ones health - being in good spirits

Yoki ['positive ki', ('Yang' ki)] means: liveliness - cheerful, jolly

Inki ['negative ki', ('Yin' ki) ] means: gloomy, melancholy

Kuki ['sky ki'] means: air

Reiki* '[cold ki'] means: cold air

Jōki ['steam ki'] means: steam or vapour

[In some ki words, the ki kanji does not actually add anything to the meaning of the other kanji - it simply speaks to the dynamic aspect of the whole word]

Yuki ['brave ki'] means: courage, bravery

Byōki ['illness ki'] means: illness, disease, sickness

Jiki ['magnet (also porcelain) ki' ] means: magnetism

and, yes Colin:

Tenki ['heaven ki'] means: weather tongue

_____
    *not the same Rei kanji as in 'Reiki'

Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:57 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Thaak wrote:

Which is?

Wind is Air in motion.

Reiki is Spirit in motion (using a bit of James' last posting here).

I think the reason why the word part Ki can be used to mean "motion" is because motion as a dynamic is a type of energy.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:03 am

Thaak wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:
    Thaak wrote:

Which is?

Wind is Air in motion.

I think the reason why the word part Ki can be used to mean "motion" is because motion as a dynamic is a type of energy.

lol, yeah, spirit in motion. Reiki is the experienatial part of our divine.

Puts a different slant on simply 'energy', or 'ULE', has more connotations. It's what i was hopeing would be said, bro. Course, as always, James is much better at this, hehe.

take care
    Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:07 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Thaak wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:
    Thaak wrote:

Which is?

Wind is Air in motion.

lol, yeah, spirit in motion. Reiki is the experienatial part of our divine.

Puts a different slant on simply 'energy', or 'ULE', has more connotations. It's what i was hopeing would be said, bro. Course, as always, James is much better at this, hehe.

take care
    Wayne

Indeed... we've agreed for the 2nd time today... grin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:07 am

hehe, let's not make it a habit, Very Happy
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:09 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    hmm,

Yes, probably - it just goes to show that at least some of the great wisdom shared in these fora has stuck! Laughing

However, I also came across it while looking at sites for various Kanji and Japanese phrases before my trip to Japan last year e.g.
    http://thejapanesepage.com/node/kanji/kanji4d.htm
    Very Happy
    And, if you really want to drive yourself crazy sticking different kanji pairs together here is a game based upon it!
    http://edweb.sdsu.edu/Courses/EDTEC670/Cardboard/Card/K/kanji.html
    lol!

Now, what was the original subject of this thread??
    Laughing
    Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:28 am

Colin wrote:

Now, what was the original subject of this thread??
    Laughing

God knows, i'm beyond caring now, hehe.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:56 am

Dragonfly wrote:If I'm not mistaken, "Reiki" was a generic term in Japan even before Usui-sensei had his experience.

Certainly the term 'Reiki' has become a generic one - in the post-Takata era

Though I don't think we can go quite as far as to say it was a generic term back before Usui-sensei's Kurama experence.

The term ‘Reiki Ryoho’(simply implying 'Spiritual Healing-Method'), had indeed been used by a number of people in connection with their own particular therapeutic practices

In 1919, for example, a therapist named M. Kawakami published a book entitled: Reiki Ryoho To Sono Koka (Spiritual Healing & Its Effects); and Fumio Ogawa tells us that a Mr Daiseido Tanaka also practiced his own particular method of ‘Reiki Ryoho’, prior to Usui-sensei developing his Spiritual Healing Method.

The term Reiki also appears in the philosophy of the Omoto Kyo spiritual group (who were particularly influential during the early 20thC) - indicating, not 'energy' per se but rather the energetic-effect of the innermost aspect of the human spirit.

Omoto Kyo refer to this aspect of the human spirit as: nao hi [meaning: ‘spiritual presence’ or ‘spirit direct (from Kami)’]

Nao hi is "... the simplest, purest, innermost aspect of the human spirit, embodying supreme good and ultimate beauty….That which is able to save your body and soul …”

and Reiki can be seen as ‘the manifest effect of nao hi in action’

Interestingly, the 'kanji-pair' used to write nao hi: 直霊 have the more common 'reading' (i.e pronunciation) 'choku rei'

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:16 pm