Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+4
Milarepa
chi_solas
Colin
Breyein
8 posters

Ny Reiki Laws

Breyein
    Breyein
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Ny Reiki Laws Empty Ny Reiki Laws

Post by Breyein Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:21 am

A few people told me you have to be a nurse or a reverend to touch someone and practice Reiki in NY. They said you have to be an RN or a Massage therapist to do bodywork. Does anyone know if this is true or have any more info? I'm looking forward to praticing Reiki but I just want to know what the laws are. It seems hard to find this information. Thanks
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Ny Reiki Laws Empty Re: Ny Reiki Laws

Post by Colin Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:29 am

I think that may be the case in a couple of States but not, as far as I know in NY. You could try Googling to find out or maybe there are some native New Yorkers on here who can answer you! Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Sounds like a joke to me affraid

Reiki is innate healing. As Reiki
    practitoners we facilitate. You
    do not need to be a RN.Rev,Nurse or
    massage therapist to practice Reiki. Ny Reiki Laws 158903

Ny Reiki Laws 78411 I prefer my Vet to be Reiki certified Ny Reiki Laws 850837
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:15 pm

i've heard this requirement also, if someone says they do 'healing' in US. In fact, in QT no-one is allowed to say they heal another. because of US laws. i'd a disagreement with a senior QT person in US over the word restrictions. Could the US folks give their state-by-state requirements?
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Breyein wrote:A few people told me you have to be a nurse or a reverend to touch someone and practice Reiki in NY. They said you have to be an RN or a Massage therapist to do bodywork. Does anyone know if this is true or have any more info? I'm looking forward to praticing Reiki but I just want to know what the laws are. It seems hard to find this information. Thanks

Hi Breyein,

many therapists become ordained as a minister as this is a way of circumventing laws requiring practitioners to be licensed massage therapists or medical practitioners, however in NY you do not require a license to practice Reiki, so likewise you do not need to be a minister/reverend.

You simply have to be careful as to how you present your practice, and the claims you make concerning the nature and effect of that practice.

According to NYSED:

New York State Education Department wrote:Do persons who practice Reiki, the Alexander Technique, or the Feldenkrais Method require a license as a massage therapist?

No. But if persons practicing these techniques claim that they are diagnosing or treating any human pain, disease, disorder or physical condition, they must be licensed in a profession that is authorized to diagnose or to provide treatment.
    source: http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/mt/mtquesans.htm

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:09 am

Milarepa wrote:i've heard this requirement also, if someone says they do 'healing' in US. In fact, in QT no-one is allowed to say they heal another. because of US laws. i'd a disagreement with a senior QT person in US over the word restrictions. Could the US folks give their state-by-state requirements?

People heal themselves we just assist them in their process. If you are a RN.Rev,Nurse or massage therapist being Reiki certified is a plus to add in your brochure/resume...............

Here's an excerpt from the Massachusetts laws refering to Body-Mind Centering and Reiki.

The following practitioners are exempt from this licensing law as long as they don’t hold themselves out to be massage therapists.

A person who uses touch, words or directed movement to deepen awareness of patterns of movement in the body, or the affectation of the human energy system or acupoints or Qi meridians of the human body while engaged within the scope of practice of a profession with established standards and ethics, but such services shall not be designated or implied to be massage or massage therapy. Such practices shall include, but not be limited to, the Feldenkrais Method; Reflexology; The Trager Approach; Ayurvedic Therapies, Rolf Structural Integration, Polarity or Polarity Therapy; Polarity Therapy Bodywork; Asian Bodywork Therapy that does not constitute massage as defined in this chapter; Acupressure; Jin Shin Do; Qi Gong; Tui Na; Shiatsu; Body-Mind Centering and Reiki.
    These exempt practitioners may use the terms "bodywork", "bodyworker" and "bodywork therapist" in their promotional literature.

]
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:28 am

chi_solas wrote:

People heal themselves we just assist them in their process.

My issue with the QT person was the attempt to restrict my freedom of speech since i'm in a different country. particularly since the restriction was originating from the 'land of the free'.
    Breyein
    Breyein
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Post by Breyein Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks everyone. All good to know. Makes me more comfortable starting my practice. Want to do things right from the start. Very Happy
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:19 am

Milarepa wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

People heal themselves we just assist them in their process.

My issue with the QT person was the attempt to restrict my freedom of speech since i'm in a different country. particularly since the restriction was originating from the 'land of the free'.

Ny Reiki Laws 564490

sunny Some folks have discovered that
    Universal Energy is free too! flower
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:52 pm

*sighs* we have to be careful how we use wording in this country also regarding holistic therapies....we have to be careful what claims we make regarding different therapies...It's a contentious issue for me at times, because I feel like I am lying and sugar coating the real depth, potential and potency of Reiki and other therapies. Perhaps when more scientific research is done into the power of Reiki, then we will be able to be more honest about the real depth and potential involved.
    water flower

Post by water flower Wed May 30, 2012 11:53 am

In NY, I learned you can't use words such as healing, clinic, and patient. This is just energy balancing, a reiki session and clients/customers. You can't say that it can cure anything. You can't diagnose or even if you intuit that there might be a problem, you can only tell your client that they should really see a doctor for an evaluation. I tend to say it helps with anger, stress - to help a person relax. It removes negative energy for positive energy, etc. for my volunteer stuff. Gee, I don't even know if anger and stress are medical terms for psychiatrist. Anywho, as long as you don't use a medical disease name in your ads or conversations, you're fine. I have to deal w/ the elderly who are not well and I can't tell the family that they have xyz. I can only say to a person that they need help or ask the family if they know of any medical conditions the elderly person has. It's no different for any non-medically license person in what ever field they're in. Someone can give the person a hard time who diagnosed them and it's worse if they go to the doctor and find out that they don't have what a person said they had. jmho.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu May 31, 2012 1:57 am

water flower wrote:In NY, I learned you can't use words such as healing, clinic, and patient. This is just energy balancing, a reiki session and clients/customers. You can't say that it can cure anything.

all these words define the medical profession
    Reiki does not operate as a medical system it
    is a self-healing modality. I would never lead
    my clients into thinking I was a healer. The body
    is a macnificent machine if we take care of it
    physically emotionally and spiritually.

You can't diagnose or even if you intuit that there might be a problem, you can only tell your client that they should really see a doctor for an evaluation. I tend to say it helps with anger, stress - to help a person relax. It removes negative energy for positive energy, etc. for my volunteer stuff. Gee, I don't even know if anger and stress are medical terms for psychiatrist. Anywho, as long as you don't use a medical disease name in your ads or conversations, you're fine.

If we were to come under the guidelines
    of even massage the state would have
    stricter guidelines for us to adhere to.

I have to deal w/ the elderly who are not well and I can't tell the family that they have xyz. I can only say to a person that they need help or ask the family if they know of any medical conditions the elderly person has. It's no different for any non-medically license person in what ever field they're in. Someone can give the person a hard time who diagnosed them and it's worse if they go to the doctor and find out that they don't have what a person said they had. jmho.

Its best to work as a complementary with
    the medical doctors. I see them as another
    tool. A person may have a dis-ease and we
    may help them focus on healing whatever
    where ever the dis-ease presents itself.
    Its the body that knowns what needs heaing
    as in my own case. I noticed that before I
    acheived good health the body worked on the
    "minor" issues before completing the final
    healing process.

People need to be committed to mindful eating
    and mindful thinking to make mind/body/spirit
    changes happen for the better sunny
    mike tyson

Post by mike tyson Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:58 am

[quote="water flower"]In NY, I learned you can't use words such as healing, clinic, and patient. This is just energy balancing, a reiki session and clients/customers. You can't say that it can cure anything. You can't diagnose or even if you intuit that there might be a problem, you can only tell your client that they should really see a doctor for an evaluation. I tend to say it helps with anger, stress - to help a person relax. It removes negative energy for positive energy, etc. for my volunteer stuff. Gee, I don't even know if anger and stress are medical terms for psychiatrist. Anywho, as long as you don't use a medical disease name in your ads or conversations, you're fine. I have to deal w/ the elderly who are not well and I can't tell the family that they have xyz. I can only say to a person that they need help or ask the family if they know of any medical conditions the elderly person has. It's no different for any non-medically license person in what ever field they're in. Someone can give the person a hard time who diagnosed them and it's worse if they go to the doctor and find out that they don't have what a person said they had. jmho.[/q actality we're not
    In actuality we're not physicians. So if. When doing a reiki on someone. You stumble a cross something that should be checked. You should tell that to the person you're working with.

I have a friend of a friend who was having reiki done to her. The reiki master when placing his hands on her chest fel something that he wasn't sure what it was. The subject felt something too.

The reiki practitioner suggested that she get a medical opinion. The diagnosis was lupus. I guess they discovered the problem in its early stages and took care of it.

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:04 pm

Reiki practitioners are not licenced to
    practice medicine. If a Medical DR is also
    certified as a Reki practitioner s/he can
    only diagnose as a medical DR, not as a
    Reiki practitioner sunny

MA Reiki Laws.......

The following practitioners are exempt from this licensing law as long as they don’t hold themselves out to be massage therapists.

A person who uses touch, words or directed movement to deepen awareness of patterns of movement in the body, or the affectation of the human energy system or acupoints or Qi meridians of the human body while engaged within the scope of practice of a profession with established standards and ethics, but such services shall not be designated or implied to be massage or massage therapy. Such practices shall include, but not be limited to, the Feldenkrais Method; Reflexology; The Trager Approach; Ayurvedic Therapies, Rolf Structural Integration, Polarity or Polarity Therapy; Polarity Therapy Bodywork; Asian Bodywork Therapy that does not constitute massage as defined in this chapter; Acupressure; Jin Shin Do; Qi Gong; Tui Na; Shiatsu; Body-Mind Centering and Reiki.
    These exempt practitioners may use the terms "bodywork", "bodyworker" and "bodywork therapist" in their promotional literature.

Check out RLL Interview with Jeffrey Hotchkiss. bounce

also see www.eldersbloom.org.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 8:04 pm