Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Milarepa
Rlei_ki
6 posters

The origins of Reiki - more "Japanese Whispers"?

Reikijim
    Reikijim

The origins of Reiki - more "Japanese Whispers"? - Page 2 Empty Re: The origins of Reiki - more "Japanese Whispers"?

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:59 am

Colin wrote:

Oh and by the way, Jim, that was the long answer! Laughing

Ai to Hikari
    Colin

Hi Colin,

Thank you for sharing this information and bringing me up to speed regarding this topic. Your explanation was very thorough.....The long answer is always welcome... Very Happy

It is disappointing when we find a high profile organization, questionable in it`s format and claims...In this case very disappointing.

This kinda gets my interest flowing, once again regarding, "The Canadian Reiki Association". My Komyo teacher (sensi/Shinpiden/Shihan...take your pick is a member. I was on my way to membership as well, but stalled, to take a "walk about" Canada for a couple of years to experience more of Canada and what it is to be me Smile When this is over I will start another Reiki practice....treat more...teach more.
    If you have a minute, look at the CRA website and tell me what you think...I haven`t been there in a couple of years...might be a good time to return...Could make for an interesting conversation or two, here at the Reiki Learning Lounge....For all I know some here at this site, may already be members

Thanks again Colin,

Smile RJ
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

The origins of Reiki - more "Japanese Whispers"? - Page 2 Empty Re: The origins of Reiki - more "Japanese Whispers"?

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:24 am

just had a quick look.

among the un-proven stuff on Usui sensei, there is the stuff about him going up to Kurama Yama to do a meditation to open the crown & purify it, and a powerful light entered the top of his head. there's been much claims, and thought, on what mediation he was exactly doing. One things for sure, the light entered his forhead, not the top of his head.

Most accept the Gakkai was formed by Rear Admiral Juusaburo Gyuda, not Usui sensei.

there's more stuff about Usui sensei.

Really, on the face of it, it's maybe all just outdated information, that hasn't been updated.
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Milarepa wrote:just had a quick look.

among the un-proven stuff on Usui sensei, there is the stuff about him going up to Kurama Yama to do a meditation to open the crown & purify it, and a powerful light entered the top of his head. there's been much claims, and thought, on what mediation he was exactly doing. One things for sure, the light entered his forhead, not the top of his head.

Most accept the Gakkai was formed by Rear Admiral Juusaburo Gyuda, not Usui sensei.

there's more stuff about Usui sensei.

Really, on the face of it, it's maybe all just outdated information, that hasn't been updated.

Hi Wayne,

Yeah that kinda stuff seems fairly common....It would be nice if they took some time to look for updated info like you mention...It would be easy for them...go figure

Considering that there is so much confusion, and so many self proclaimed experts,I`m not suprised that an organization chooses to represent a generally accepted version, or a close variation of what seems commonly accepted in the relatively recent past, regarding Usui-sensi. Since a considerable number of masters are still teaching the Usui story with inaccuracies, I`m referring to the Mount Kurama experience, it would put pressure on any organization that would step out and question the generally accepted version....Also it might not help enrollment... affraid

I could also imagine that some masters are very fond of this story. They see how their students react to it, and like the outcome in their classroom.

Totally accurate or not, it`s a charming story with possibly a few misconceptions....Do you think anyone will ever really know the Mount Karuma story the way Mikao Usui experienced it? I don`t think so...Only Usui knows for sure...and I`m willing to bet he didn`t tell Richard Blackwell about it.

When it comes to spirituality, generally, misconceptions and inaccuracies abound. I`m not trying to making lite of this...yet... After 46 years on this planet I see inaccuracies in alot of whats generally accepted. For the most part, people seem unconcerned, just make it easy for them to swallow and it`s all good...lol

Really...My mind set, is that these organizations should be scrutinized with more concern regarding their mission statement, member acceptance standards, the guidelines they create, proof of credibility regarding members, how they police themselves and their membership...This focus might actually be forward thinking and have a real effect on the Reiki community and how it`s viewed, right here and now...

Whats ya think mate?

Very Happy RJ

Last edited by Reikijim on Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling..no matter how much I edit i always miss something...jeepers)
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:10 pm

Reikijim wrote:
    Totally accurate or not, it`s a charming story with possibly a few misconceptions....Do you think anyone will ever really know the Mount Karuma story the way Mikao Usui experienced it? I don`t think so...Only Usui knows for sure...and I`m willing to bet he didn`t tell Richard Blackwell about it.

The memorial erected a year after Usui Sensei's death is good to go by, Smile. It says a great bright light struck him on the forehead. We get DKM from this.

Reikijim wrote:
    Really...My mind set, is that these organizations should be scrutinized with more concern regarding their mission statement, member acceptance standards, the guidelines they create, proof of credibility regarding members, how they police themselves and their membership...This focus might actually be forward thinking and have a real effect on the Reiki community and how it`s viewed, right here and now...

Whats ya think mate?

Very Happy RJ

Yeah, people that are able to think for themselves, and don't need the 'comfort zone' of being 'sheeple', do tend to think, what the heck, when they see organisations can't think for themselves either.

take care
    Wayne
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:30 am

Milarepa wrote:The memorial erected a year after Usui Sensei's death is good to go by, Smile. It says a great bright light struck him on the forehead...

or not Laughing

all it says is that he suddenly felt

"a(/one) large(/great) 'reiki' above his head":

The origins of Reiki - more "Japanese Whispers"? - Page 2 Reiki-10
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:37 am

you're right of course, hehe.

I was thinking of...

."Reiki comes in through the crown ..."

It is frequently said that Reiki enters via the top of the head - i.e. via the Crown centre - then flows down through the other energy centres...

So how come, at the culmination of his 21-day meditation on Kurama-yama, Usui-sensei's Reiki experience began when the 'light' (DKM) struck him - not on the top of his head - but rather in the middle of his forehead?

Source: http://www.aetw.org/reiki_to_ponder.htm
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:20 am

Milarepa wrote:I was thinking of...
    It is frequently said that Reiki enters via the top of the head - i.e. via the Crown centre - then flows down through the other energy centres...
    So how come, at the culmination of his 21-day meditation on Kurama-yama, Usui-sensei's Reiki experience began when the 'light' (DKM) struck him - not on the top of his head - but rather in the middle of his forehead?
    Source: http://www.aetw.org/reiki_to_ponder.htm

Yes, this is what Takata-sensei tells us. Smile

Toshitaka Mochizuki, founder of Vortex Reiki, taught this also.
    And while it has been suggested he might have learnt this version from 'western' sources, there is a certain similarity in the version of the story offered by Chiyoko Yamaguchi.

If memory serves, she used to recount how Usui-sensei felt a jolt, as if he had been struck by lightning in the centre of his head (or brain?)

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:51 am

Rlei_ki wrote:

If memory serves, she used to recount how Usui-sensei felt a jolt, as if he had been struck by lightning in the centre of his head (or brain?)

Hmm. Around the area if the pineal or pituitary gland mayhaps?
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:17 am

Rlei_ki wrote:

Yes, "a powerful shock in the centre of his brain, as if he had been struck by lightning and he became unconscious".

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:22 am

Hi All

I just came across this website, which claims to campaign for the Truth about Reiki! Rolling Eyes

http://www.reikirevealed.com/index.htm

You may notice that much of the information here is identical to that on the UK Reiki Council Website (so it must be true! Smile ) But that is not surprising since the website belongs to two students of Robert Jefford.

I don't know whether to be pleased or flattered or what when they say:

You will find NO channeled information, NO angels, NO faeries, NO dolphins, NO spirit guides, NO spiritual healing or clairvoyance within this site, only Reiki pure and simple. (My bold italics!)

Very Happy

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:29 am

hehe, i was just speaking bout that site also!

BTW, if that's you're bloody teachings on that site, i take back my complement to Lois bout you last week! lol!
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:32 am

Colin wrote:Hi All

I just came across this website, which claims to campaign for the Truth about Reiki! Rolling Eyes

Hi Wayne

I just noticed that you have already come across this site and posted on their forum - and also noticed in their forum that I am not the only person to query as to whether Yoshiharu, the Soke Dai, is the same as Yoshiharu Watanabe, a president of the Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai (apparently he isn't!).

So he must be a previously unknown student of Mikao Usui to whom all the knowledge and techniques of Usui's system was entrusted to preserve for all time! silent

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:33 am

Milarepa wrote:hehe, i was just speaking bout that site also!

BTW, if that's you're bloody teachings on that site, i take back my complement to Lois bout you last week! lol!

lol!

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:41 am

Colin wrote:
    Colin wrote:Hi All

Hi Wayne

I just noticed that you have already come across this site and posted on their forum - and also noticed in their forum that I am not the only person to query as to whether Yoshiharu, the Soke Dai, is the same as Yoshiharu Watanabe, a president of the Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai (apparently he isn't!).

So he must be a previously unknown student of Mikao Usui to whom all the knowledge and techniques of Usui's system was entrusted to preserve for all time! silent

Ai to Hikari
    Colin

yeah this is true bro. We aren't the only one's to have concerns.

Suspect
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:00 pm

So, in the light of claims from various sources about the development of the Reiki system and what was taught, what generally accepted evidence do we actually have?

Here is my list, and I invite others to add or subtract from it, stating their reasons:

• The memorial stone of Mikao Usui and its various translations.

• At least one portrait of Mikao Usui and three class photographs in which Mikao Usui appears.

• Portraits of Admiral Jusaburo Ushida and Mine Umetaro, two teacher students of Mikao Usui, in Toshitakta Mochizuki's book "Iyashino Te - Cho Kanton".

• A book by Kaiji Tomita, a student of Mika Usui (or maybe Dr Hayashi) in which he describes a simple method of Hatsurei Ho, using Gassho and reciting waka. He also describes the results of research he undertook with clients who had various conditions, and their outcomes after Reiki.

• Some books by Toshihiro Eguchi, whose healing system, Tenohira Ryoji, may have been very similar in many respects to that of his teacher, Mikao Usui.

• The Handbook (Hikkei) of the Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai, compiled in the 1970s, which contains the Reiki Principles, Usui's Explanation for the Sharing of Reiki Teaching, Usui's Healing Guide (Ryoho Shishin), 125 Waka and a Question and Answer section which appears to have answers from Mikao Usui himself.

• The Shiori of the Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai, which, among other things contains various Reiki techniques - though I have never seen a full translation of this, or a Japanese copy, other than the cover.

• Dr Chujiro Hayashi's Healing Guide, as used in Japan and as presented to Hawayo Takata for the American branch of Hayashi Reiki Kenkyukai.

• A magazine article from 1928, by Shuoh Matsui, a student of Chujiro Hayashi.

• Several photographs of Chujiro Hayashi, including group photos with his classes in Japan and with Hawayo Takata in Hawaii.

• Several old Reiki certificates, signed by Chujiro Hayashi, Chie Hayashi and Kanichi Taketomi (in books by Tadao Yamaguchi and Toshitaka Mochizuki)

• A copy of Hawayo Takata's Reiki Master certificate as signed by Chujiro Hayashi in Hawaii.

• Excerpts from Hawayo Takata's early diaries, the Blue Book, the Grey Book and several newspaper interviews with Hawayo Takata.

• Some Reiki 1 course notes made by a couple of students of Hawayo Takata.

• Tape recordings of Hawayo Takata teaching a Reiki 1 class and a Reiki 2 class.

• A 1986 Japanese magazine article, which shows some early Reiki certificates (or maybe attendance slips) from the 1940s belonging to Fumio Ogawa, whose grandfather was taught by Mikao Usui.

Any comments, additions and/or subtractions? Smile

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:49 pm

Colin wrote:So, in the light of claims from various sources about the development of the Reiki system and what was taught, what generally accepted evidence do we actually have?

True Colin, these are generally accepted, i'll comment on some of these that doubt can be shown, Smile.

Colin wrote:

[*]A book by Kaiji Tomita, a student of Mika Usui (or maybe Dr Hayashi) in which he describes a simple method of Hatsurei Ho, using Gassho and reciting waka. He also describes the results of research he undertook with clients who had various conditions, and their outcomes after Reiki.

Tomita wrote that book some 8 or 9 years after he was trained. Prior to this, he'd created his own organisation Tomita Teate Ryohokai, after Usui sensie's death. Although the book 'Reiki To Jinjutsu – Tomita Ryu Teate Ryoho', as we both know means Tomita hands healing. Indicating his own style. So, the inclusion of Hatsurei ho in a book he wrote, presumably about his own style, definitely doesn't indicate Usui sensei taught it. As Hatsurei ho could be one of the things he included that Usui sensei never.

* See my comment on Doi & Hikkei.

Colin wrote:
    [*]Some books by Toshihiro Eguchi, whose healing system, Tenohira Ryoji, may have been very similar in many respects to that of his teacher, Mikao Usui.

Or, may have been very different, Smile.

Colin wrote:
    [*]The Handbook (Hikkei) of the Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai, compiled in the 1970s, which contains the Reiki Principles, Usui's Explanation for the Sharing of Reiki Teaching, Usui's Healing Guide (Ryoho Shishin), 125 Waka and a Question and Answer section which appears to have answers from Mikao Usui himself.

Just cause it says it has answers from Usui Sensei doesn't mean they are from him, Smile. Doi's whole credibility, and his business, are built upon his claimed links with a secret society. He provided the Hikkei, which he claimed the Gakkai use. Really though, what is special about the Hikkei (aside from the claims of whom is quoted in it)? It was provided at a time when the west was dearly looking to Reiki's roots. Along comes a guy from Japan, whom says he's a member of a secret society. and sure, what he says is fact! Hehe.

not suggesting you're personally saying the above Colin, Smile.

Colin wrote:

yeah, you were burning th emidnight oil a bit last night bro! (th etime of your post, Smile ).

take care
    Wayne
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:17 pm

Milarepa wrote:
    Colin wrote:So, in the light of claims from various sources about the development of the Reiki system and what was taught, what generally accepted evidence do we actually have?

True Colin, these are generally accepted, i'll comment on some of these that doubt can be shown, Smile.

Thanks for your comments, Wayne.

I think doubt can be cast on just about all of the things in my list - after all even the Usui memorial may be a modern fake, according to some people, and nowadays old-looking Reiki certificates can be printed out fairly easily, especially if you can write kanji are in the printing business! Smile

The purpose of my post is really to try and get a list of stuff that the majority of Reiki researchers can actually agree on, from the point of view sources of genuine information about Usui and the development of the Reiki system, as well as sources which help put this information into context.

Colin wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:
    yeah, you were burning th emidnight oil a bit last night bro! (th etime of your post, Smile ).

take care
    Wayne

Laughing Yeah! I got a bit carried away with stuff and I was really shocked when I noticed the time! Shocked

Ai to Hikari
    Colin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:36 pm