Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+10
Erik Jögimar
LightBody
Pandora
chi_solas
Milarepa
Colin
Bruce
Reikijim
hialeah
thehungrycaterpillar
14 posters

Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session?

thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session? Empty Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session?

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:25 am

Hi,

back to basics...

Do you all still wash your hands before and after Reiki sessions?
    Not for hygienic reasons, but for 'other' reasons like to prevent transferring energies...?

I forgot why? What a Face

I remember seeing somebody using other methods of healing use a bowl of salt water to wash their hands in after and during the sessions?? cyclops The water was 'condemned ', not OK to touch.
    is that even traditional ( usui )?

Thanks a zillion, Yo!
    hialeah
    hialeah

Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session? Empty Re: Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session?

Post by hialeah Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:23 am

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:Hi,

back to basics...

Not for hygienic reasons, but for 'other' reasons like to prevent transferring energies...?

I remember seeing somebody using other methods of healing use a bowl of salt water to wash their hands in after and during the sessions?? cyclops The water was 'condemned ', not OK to touch.

Thanks a zillion, Yo!

I was told to wash my hands in cold water after a treatment in order to disconnect my energy from the clients energy. As for before treatment I was told it's grounding.

I don't know if it's part of traditional Usui Reiki but I think not. I believe it's a carry-over from energy work in general. I know people who do energy work other than Reiki have told me the above.

As for salt water, I've only heard it used to cleanse crystals from energies that can accumulate within the crystals. The water is then disposed of. Never heard of anyone using it on their hands though.

Hope this helps.
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session? Empty Re: Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session?

Post by Reikijim Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:53 am

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:Hi,

back to basics...

Thanks a zillion, Yo!

Hello, and how are you?

You have the most interesting comments in your posts. I`ve been hoping to talk with you... bounce

Well,

I have seen many different people do different things in regard to your question.

Washing ones hands, in this case, i believe to be as much about intention as anything else...an attempt of ridding ones self of energetic debris...for lack of a better term.
    If you feel compelled to do this i would do so. I don`t wash my hands for the reason you speak of..Yet I have seen those who do.
    We take positive action to rid ourselves of something that we sense is bad for us. If one truly senses it, then a reaction is called for..If although one does this automatically with out thinking all the time, then I`m guessing that it could be a fear based reaction.
    I have, a couple of times engaged in Hateurei ho, after sensing that something was not quite right after treating someone. This is very rare,like I said, only a couple of times have I felt this was needed. This is a better solution for me as there is an energy cleansing exercise contained in this meditation.

Ir`s always up to the individual, as to what works best for them...But as i stated earlier, setting an intention to change the situation, remains as the key element.

As far as what Usui-sensei would think of this....I have no idea...

Smile RJ
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:15 pm

Reikijim wrote:
    Washing ones hands, in this case, i believe to be as much about intention as anything else...an attempt of ridding ones self of energetic debris...for lack of a better term.

I agree it's for ridding oneself of energetic debris. But I believe it has more to do with physical properties than with intention. From a qigong perspective, water dissipates the qi. Practicing outside in the rain is thought to be counterproductive, because rather than accumulating qi, the practitioner will be losing it due to the water running it off from the practitioner's body. Conversely, if someone has too much energy going through his/her system, taking a shower is a quick way to get rid of excess energy.

Bruce
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:19 pm

Bruce wrote:
    Reikijim wrote:

I agree it's for ridding oneself of energetic debris. But I believe it has more to do with physical properties than with intention. From a qigong perspective, water dissipates the qi. Practicing outside in the rain is thought to be counterproductive, because rather than accumulating qi, the practitioner will be losing it due to the water running it off from the practitioner's body. Conversely, if someone has too much energy going through his/her system, taking a shower is a quick way to get rid of excess energy.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I know a very little bit about qigong, but I have read that wind has the same effect as water in dissipating energy. Does this hold true with what you have learned?

Considering what you have said...How can washing ones hands really do anything on an energetic level? Surface contact, on one small area, seems kinda well, weak. Why would the energy in question only remain on the hands? This is why I spoke of intention, and the exercise I use to off set such sensations.

Smile RJ
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:32 pm

Reikijim wrote:
    Bruce wrote:
    Reikijim wrote:

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I know a very little bit about qigong, but I have read that wind has the same effect as water in dissipating energy. Does this hold true with what you have learned?

Smile RJ

Hi, Jim,

In theory, yes. In experience, it seems to depend on wind speed and temperature -- mild breezes don't have an adverse effect on the qi, but cold gusts do. Warmer winds -- even when they're relatively strong -- don't seem to bother my qi. I was taught to face away from the wind if it became windy while I was practicing outside -- not sure of why that would be better than facing into it, but anyway . . . .

Considering what you have said...How can washing ones hands really do anything on an energetic level? Surface contact, on one small area, seems kinda well, weak. Why would the energy in question only remain on the hands? This is why I spoke of intention, and the exercise I use to off set such sensations.

If a practitioner's primary contact with the recipient is through the practitioner's hands, then it makes sense that energetic debris would be most likely to accumulate at the hands. Washing the hands gets rid of the debris in that area. Whole-body showering would get rid of additional debris . . . but it might not be practical when doing successive sessions.

Bruce
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Hi Bruce,

Bruce wrote:
    If a practitioner's primary contact with the recipient is through the practitioner's hands, then it makes sense that energetic debris would be most likely to accumulate at the hands. Washing the hands gets rid of the debris in that area. Whole-body showering would get rid of additional debris . . . but it might not be practical when doing successive sessions.

Bruce

Very good...thanks Bruce.

So...do you think my solution to have merit? Hatsurei ho, I mean?

I definitely accept you`re reasoning with water and wind...Just wondering about you`re thoughts on the latter?

Laughing RJ
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:23 pm

Reikijim wrote:

I have, a couple of times engaged in Hateurei ho, after sensing that something was not quite right after treating someone. This is very rare,like I said, only a couple of times have I felt this was needed. This is a better solution for me as there is an energy cleansing exercise contained in this meditation.

Ir`s always up to the individual, as to what works best for them...But as i stated earlier, setting an intention to change the situation, remains as the key element.

Smile RJ

Hi Jim

I always use the kenyoku (dry bathing/brushing) technique, which is part of hatsurei ho at the end (and sometimes before) Reiki treatments.

I believe that this technique has its origins in a Shinto misogi (purification) ritual. Shinto practitioners always try to keep their mind, body and spirit clean from impurities/energetic debris, especially before praying at a shrine. Traditionally this was done at the village well, using wooden bowls, or in a clear water stream the sea or even under a waterfall. Nowadays, visitors in Japan are asked to use the water and long-handled ladles outside each shrine to purify themselves before entering.

It is interesting also that the correct technique to perform this ritual is to first use the right hand, to pour water over the left hand, then the left to pour over the right and then the right hand again (to purify the mouth) - right, left, right is very similar kenyoku.

A similar technique is used in some martial arts but without the water - i.e. dry bathing.

As another interesting aside, next time to get a chance to watch Shanghai Noon, starring Jackie Chan, watch what he and the bodyguards of the Princess do as they greet her. They do it very quickly down their arms but it certainly looks like a form of kenyoku! Smile

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:11 am

Reikijim wrote: So...do you think my solution to have merit? Hatsurei ho, I mean?

I definitely accept you`re reasoning with water and wind...Just wondering about you`re thoughts on the latter?

Laughing RJ

I was about to note the "dry bathing" component, to which you alluded and which Colin mentioned. But I confess to not having been taught hatsurei ho; my familiarity with it is only from having read about it. Having said that, I'll speculate anyway. (Hey, other people have reasoned from "I read" to "therefore.")

There are some qigong practices that appear to be similar, which involve brushing along meridian lines. They're used mainly to help the body reabsorb qi after it's been circulated in practice. But they can also be used to move stagnant qi out through the endpoints of the meridians. For these sorts of practices, the physical action by itself isn't nearly as effective as the action combined with intent.

Also, when I'm moving stagnant qi out through someone's meridian line, I usually just touch the endpoint and use intent to move the energy through the line and out. Although at other times, I also move the other hand over the meridian line a few inches above the body, similar to scanning, which helps to draw the qi through.

So, back to your question. My best guess, based on my experience with other practices that look similar in some ways, is that yes it has merit.

Bruce
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:26 am

Hi Hialeah!

I was told to wash my hands in cold water after a treatment in order to disconnect my energy from the clients energy. As for before treatment I was told it's grounding

Ah, Yes! That's what my RM told me.
    but to me is felt like ' ok, i am signing off now, the session is over'! I don't like to think that 'ew, energy cooties, I need to wash my hands or something will transferfrom my recipient'... only because I think it is an unkind gesture? Not loving? I don't think I need to or want to protect myself like that..
    drunken

I don't know if it's part of traditional Usui Reiki but I think not. I believe it's a carry-over from energy work in general. I know people who do energy work other than Reiki have told me the above

That makes a lot of sense!
    rabbit

As for salt water, I've only heard it used to cleanse crystals from energies that can accumulate within the crystals. The water is then disposed of. Never heard of anyone using it on their hands though.

Hope this helps.

In that particular case apparently he was drawing out negativity or pains for the recipient. so the water is 'dirty' & not to be touched..
    :-)

Thanks for your reply!
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:44 am

Hello, and how are you?

You have the most interesting comments in your posts. I`ve been hoping to talk with you... bounce

Hi Jimbo!
    (sorry, couldn't help it) Very Happy

Hey , How are you?!!
    Thank you, then lets talk.... bounce bounce Very Happy

If although one does this automatically with out thinking all the time, then I`m guessing that it could be a fear based reaction.

Yes, mmhm...!
    You are absolutely right, If I catch myself forgetting to wash, then I get this 'Oh man!' feeling sometimes.. b'cos thats what my RM said!
    I go back & forth between should I follow tradition or do my own thing...
    Then, I think, if THOSE teachers did that , then they must have had a reason for that, its just that I don't understand"....

I have, a couple of times engaged in Hateurei ho, after sensing that something was not quite right after treating someone.

I like or distance myself according to my gut reaction, unfortunately or fortunately they were mostly right. I have no control over it and I don't even understand why I feel the way I feel. probably subconscious programming or fancifully called 'Intuition'...
    I said that b'cos other than the gut feeling outside of reiki situations, I am like pretty much Oblivious! Rolling Eyes
    My focus is 'this person wants Reiki and my job is to facilitate that'! I never 'pick up' on anything...
    Razz

If it was I am sure James Deacon would have had something to say about it, Very Happy
    I am going to assume there is no such thing!

cheers
    Hey, Thanks!!
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:55 am

Bruce wrote:
    Reikijim wrote:

Bruce

Hey Bruce-ster!
    ( yeah, you never replied to any of my 2,o20,000 application requests on facebook & not interested in any of the details I have to share about my glorified tamagotchi, Man!! )

lol! Yeah, where the heck were you, never mind me!

AAAAH!!
    Nice info!
    Now I also remember, I am not supposed to take a shower right after my Sudharshan Kriya!! so , this is why!!?

Drinking water is supposed to be for grounding purposes. is it working the same way then? scratch inside or outside?
    H2O does a body good!

Nice to see you here... :-)
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:58 am

Smile RJ

is it because the hands have oodles of chakras and that's what we are using primarily and hence we wash hands to cleanse?
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:04 am

....... but I have read that wind has the same effect as water in dissipating energy. Does this hold true with what you have learned?

Smile RJ

Hi, Jim,

In theory, yes. In experience, it seems to depend on wind speed and temperature -- mild breezes don't have an adverse effect on the qi, but cold gusts do. Warmer winds -- even when they're relatively strong -- don't seem to bother my qi. I was taught to face away from the wind if it became windy while I was practicing outside -- not sure of why that would be better than facing into it, but anyway . . . .

OK, this is SERIOUSLY awesome!!
    WIND?? I had NO idea!!
    guys , anybody got anything more on this cool concept??!

Bruce

Hmmm.. so, it's a good idea to wash hands then!!
    so , sweeping the Aura and shaking it off towards the ground is also for the same reason!?

How do we know it's still not sticking to our fingers?? Laughing
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:10 am

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:

WIND?? I had NO idea!!
    guys , anybody got anything more on this cool concept??

If folks are giving advice about wind, my dog (Jasper) won't stop passing it. What shoudl i do?

Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session? 78411 .

I'm getting high typinf thisssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh....
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:13 am

Milarepa wrote:

WIND?? I had NO idea!!

If folks are giving advice about wind, my dog (Jasper) won't stop passing it. What shoudl i do?

Face away from it.

Bruce
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:14 am

I believe that this technique has its origins in a Shinto misogi (purification) ritual. Shinto practitioners always try to keep their mind, body and spirit clean from impurities/energetic debris, especially before praying at a shrine. Traditionally this was done at the village well, using wooden bowls, or in a clear water stream the sea or even under a waterfall. Nowadays, visitors in Japan are asked to use the water and long-handled ladles outside each shrine to purify themselves before entering.

OMG!!!
    Suspect

In India before entering the temple you have to wash your hands and feet before entering the main area where the dieties are kept!!
    I thought they were just being clean, SO IT has ANOTHER meaning!!
    Ah, nice to know.
    ....and since we can't shower, one more thing they do is sprinkle water on top of their heads!!!!!!!
    even holy water is sprinkled on top of one's head, so the same concept??

but then, the person who is following blindly, what is he going to benefit???
    There is NO intention or understanding behind the rituals, how will it work??
    scratch

It is interesting also that the correct technique to perform this ritual is to first use the right hand, to pour water over the left hand, then the left to pour over the right and then the right hand again (to purify the mouth) - right, left, right is very similar kenyoku.

I wonder why???
    meridians got to do with anything?

As another interesting aside, next time to get a chance to watch Shanghai Noon, starring Jackie Chan, watch what he and the bodyguards of the Princess do as they greet her. They do it very quickly down their arms but it certainly looks like a form of kenyoku! Smile

Ai to Hikari
    Colin

Oh, I got to see this one!!
    Basketball

flower
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:18 am

There are some qigong practices that appear to be similar, which involve brushing along meridian lines.

Ah... The meridian lines!

They're used mainly to help the body reabsorb qi after it's been circulated in practice. But they can also be used to move stagnant qi out through the endpoints of the meridians. For these sorts of practices, the physical action by itself isn't nearly as effective as the action combined with intent.

Also, when I'm moving stagnant qi out through someone's meridian line, I usually just touch the endpoint and use intent to move the energy through the line and out. Although at other times, I also move the other hand over the meridian line a few inches above the body, similar to scanning, which helps to draw the qi through.

So, back to your question. My best guess, based on my experience with other practices that look similar in some ways, is that yes it has merit.
    Bruce[/quote]

Bruce, You are a cool freak, where do they teach you things like this?!!
    cheers
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:19 am

Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session? 78411 .

I'm getting high typinf thisssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh....

Oh, you got the giggles like me!

Very Happy
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 am

Bruce wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:

WIND?? I had NO idea!!

Face away from it.

Bruce

lol!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:52 am

If you look at stories from the bible
    people walked for miles and when they
    arrived at their destination water was
    offered to cleanse the dust and dirt
    mainly from their feet. Washing of hands
    maybe just a cleansing ritual before eating. Why do we wash our hands again, after the Reiki Session? 850837
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:23 am

[re. cleansing before entering temples]
    but then, the person who is following blindly, what is he going to benefit???
    There is NO intention or understanding behind the rituals, how will it work??
    scratch

Well, the same question probably arises whenever anything is ritualized.

Bruce
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:28 am

Possibly interesting, there's said to be a lot of power in ritual.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:44 am

Milarepa wrote:Possibly interesting, there's said to be a lot of power in ritual.

Then the question becomes, where is the intent? (Or, whose intent is there?)

Bruce
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm just picking this stuff outta thin air really, please excuse if i talk crap, hehe. Would the actual act of the ritual be the intention? I've a very hazy memory about magic, and something to do with rituals having power. Perhaps this is doubling with intention & belief of the person performing it?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 12:23 am