Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

Buddhist connections of the Gokai?

Moore

Buddhist connections of the Gokai? Empty Buddhist connections of the Gokai?

Post by Moore Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:02 pm

I have read in several places that the Gokai may be written in various buddhist
    writings, in varying degrees of similiarity. Does anyone have any sources where
    this could be confirmed?

I tend to lean heavily toward the idea that the Gokai are a way of layman practice
    of buddhist practices. I'm trying to find if there's any more "general" proof or if this is something that is simply my own interpretation.

In Gasshô

Moore
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Buddhist connections of the Gokai? Empty Re: Buddhist connections of the Gokai?

Post by Milarepa Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:05 am

check dr. bizan suzuki. Kenzen no Genri, March 1915.

http://www.aetw.org/reiki_precepts.html
    Moore

Post by Moore Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Milarepa wrote:check dr. bizan suzuki. Kenzen no Genri, March 1915.

http://www.aetw.org/reiki_precepts.html

As i wrote in the private message to you, i already did! Smile
    But it doesn't quite answer the question. Usui-Sensei started practicing and putting things into a more systemised format in the 1914's after his Satori on Kurama. In december of the same year, or rather in 1915 (as James never gave a source for where he learned of an earlier edition of Kenzen no genri being published). I would say it depends a bit. Did Usui come into contact with a similar form of precepts before Kenzen no genri was published, or was that book the direct influence?

I'm asking as i'd like to know if the reiki principles exist in buddhist texts, even if not necessarily identical. Hell, even if it's slightly reminescent of the Gokai it would still be of interest to know about.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:53 am

Hi Moore

Moore wrote:I have read in several places that the Gokai may be written in various buddhist writings, in varying degrees of similiarity.

It seems likely this is simply a case of 'Chinese Whispers'.

Probably every single follower of Japanese Buddhist tradition will be aware of the Gokai ("Five Precepts") - however the Gokai they know are not the Usui Gokai.

Buddhism has its own Gokai and the only thing they have in common with the Usui Gokai is the name.

Moore wrote:
    I tend to lean heavily toward the idea that the Gokai are a way of layman practice
    of buddhist practices.

Actually, the Buddhist Gokai are a set of rules intended for the layman.

Buddhist Priests, monks, nuns etc have a stricter set of precepts (ten rather than five) to follow than the general Buddhist Gokai set out for ordinary folk.

Moore wrote:
    Usui-Sensei started practicing and putting things into a more systemised format in the 1914's after his Satori on Kurama.

This is indeed one version of the story. Yet even those who ascribe to it tell us that it was not until sometime in the spring of 1921 that Usui-sensei actually composed his Gokai - or Gainen, as they may or may not have originally been called.
    (source: Dave King)

Moore wrote:
    I'm asking as i'd like to know if the reiki principles exist in buddhist texts, even if not necessarily identical. Hell, even if it's slightly reminescent of the Gokai it would still be of interest to know about.

Well, the phrasing of at least a couple of the five Usui principles suggest a Confucian origin rather than a Buddhist one....

Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi Moore,

You could read about the Eightfold Path. I think you'll find some convincing similarities in the end. As Usui is said to have been a Buddhist all his life, he would definitively have been acquainted with these concepts.

Right concentration/mindfulness/effort, right livelihood/action/speech, right intention/view........

*Gasshō*
    Frank
    Moore

Post by Moore Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:25 am

James,

Do you have any link or material on how the buddhist gokai & Juuzen Kai
    is written in Japanese Romanji? I found the gokai in sanskrit or something
    but being reiki related, i would like to see and use the japanese form for my
    own manual.

Moore

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:13 pm