Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+5
Colin
Milarepa
Rlei_ki
LuvSoulJah
chi_solas
9 posters

Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate Empty Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate

Post by chi_solas Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:01 pm

The excerpt below is from Luvsouljah's
    ...My Reiki Rant....

and is a thought that shows up often
    around the title, Reiki Master. It's my
    understanding that the title of master
    is a term of respect in eastern traditions.

What are your thoughts around
    Reiki Master/Teacher, title

Before I get started though, I'd just like to mention..., or much more make a point of..... the fact....... that,.... I do not carry my Reiki Master/teacher title lightly!!..... And I have some conflicts with myself about whether this is infact an appropriate title. It sure does, in and of itself, have an emense effect on me.... While honoring this title, I will, first and foremost, always be a student.
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate Empty Re: Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate

Post by LuvSoulJah Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:52 pm

I prefer the sound of Reiki Shishō. Smile I don't know why I have a problem with using the title master really...except that it tends to blow up one's ego a bit... and implies that one has some kind of power or authority over Reiki....(Aladdin & his Genie spring to mind).

Then there are the awkward moments when someone introduces you as a "Reiki Master", in a social setting. And you get reactions like "OMG-OMG-OMG!!! affraid ...I never met a real Reiki Master before Surprised !!!.... Rolling Eyes

It's just how I feel about it... Smile

Last edited by LuvSoulJah on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling...)
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate Empty Re: Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate

Post by LuvSoulJah Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:19 pm

Where there is a master teacher so too is there a master student.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:31 pm

LuvSoulJah wrote:I prefer the sound of Reiki Shishō. ....

shishō can have the meaning: "teacher" but it can also mean "master"

On one level, the "shi" part speaks of someone who is an expert in their field,
    and on another, someone who is considered as a role model Smile

BTW, if you do choose to use the term shishō, and decide to write it in kanji on your student's certificates, do be sure to write it as:

師匠

and not:

私娼

Twisted Evil silent

LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Post by LuvSoulJah Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:12 pm

thought it meant craftsman too... gonna have to check out that kanji^^ was just tryin to come up with an alternative for master... Idea and Sensei is usually asociated with Mikao Usui... and akin to "guru" in that context... Smile
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Post by LuvSoulJah Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:15 am

unlicensed prostitute, streetwalker.... lol! maybe on April fools Twisted Evil
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:37 am

It's a good topic. I couldn't give a monkeys bout the idea i shoudln't use it though. It's a word. It reminds me of my own dedication to Reiki. Or at least, what is meant to be in such an important step. This is my personal pa5th, btw, not what i say others 'should' be like.

And i took Reiki Master training so why not. I'd say it's as much to do with ego to omit it, as it may be to use it. Like i'm so super ego-less because i use 'teacher'. I'm soooo advanced. Oh whoppy-F***ing-do. Hehe!

Besides, there's nothing wrong with further achievement. If it means something to the person why not use it. If it means nothing to them, why not omit it.
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Post by LuvSoulJah Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:59 am

Yeah, you're, of course 100% right Wayne. I guess my issue is just that...maybe I don't feel deserving of that title yet, maybe it's something I gotta grow into or maybe not. I just dont wanna be defined by a title. I'm still "only human" and I make mistakes and I have yet to master myself before I master anything else.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:29 am

i look at it being Reiki is Master of my life. This way there's no pressure on me.

With Reiki meant to be, imo, a personal spiritual journey, none of us are perfect at this. How could we be? That's the great interesting ingredient in humanity - variety.

If we loose our hang-ups, form a deep relationship with Reiki personally, and try to share our experiences. What else is important to being a Reiki Master? These are my requirements for me. Thoughj i'm known to be a little 'lax'. haha.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:35 am

LuvSoulJah wrote:Where there is a master teacher so too is there a master student.

I hold the title RMT Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate 850837
    though you and many others on
    this forum are givers of your
    knowledge that can be used/not
    used by the reader. study

I talk about self talk and am
    aware of its impact on the human
    mind. Take the different versions
    of the 5 Reiki principles. When
    you mentioned your version I had
    an ahha moment and put your version
    on the front page of my w/s. Yes I
    may hold the title Master but I'm a
    life learner and not so full of myself
    that I have stopped learning. Sleep

sunny bounce Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate 158903 sunny

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:35 am

I must admit that I am one of those people who tends to refer to myself as a Reiki Teacher or even simply as a Reiki Practitioner, not because I see it as some form of ego-reducing exercise but because, to me, the title 'Master' used in the context of a Japanese practice conjures up an image of a Mr Miyagi type character who has years and years of experience and is a Master of their practice. How many of us can say that we have mastered Reiki or are ever likely to?

I practice what I have learned and teach what I know - therefore I am a practitioner and a teacher. When I was at Grammar School in the UK we had Masters, rather than teachers, who taught us e.g. English Master, History Master, Science Master, House Master etc. These people people, in common with non-teaching academics who have achieved a Master Degree in something have also undergone long periods of intensive training. Can my Reiki Master training be compared to that? If I had a Masters Degree I would be happy to call myself a Master and if I had a Doctorate I would happily call myself a Doctor because the title would reflect a certain amount of training and hard work had been carried out.

Most Reiki Master training occurs over a short period and gives the student the tools and information they need to carry on further study and gain experience on their way towards Mastery. Completing a Reiki 3 or Reiki Master seminar does not make one a Reiki Master in the true sense of the word. In think it is just another unfortunate example of poor translation on Hawayo Takata's Reiki certificate where a Japanese word that has a certain understanding and cultural context is translated into English using the process of best-fit but in the process loses the original context and cultural significance - rather like the title Dr Usui. As I may have mentioned elsewhere, it is interesting that the word 'doctor' in Latin can also be translated as 'teacher' in Englsh!

I don't have a huge problem with people calling themselves Reiki Masters as long as they remain humble and do not portray themselves as all-knowing people who are above the lesser degree practitioners in some way.

I like to say that as we progress along our path, the less there is to be taught but the more there is to learn!

The path to Reiki Mastery is never ending but is a rewarding one! Smile
    Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:16 am

Colin, it is also a society/cultural stigma
    that if I am a Reiki Master Teacher that I
    am "better" than a Reiki 1/2 practitioner.
    I am amazed at how skillful my students are
    at the beginning level. Maybe down the Reiki
    path of future generation the title Master
    will be replaced with another title to reflect
    a higer level without demeaning the previous
    levels. sunny

Just for fun cheers

Webmaster
    postmaster
    headmaster
    Master of Education
    Master chef

Master parents/grandparents Question
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:32 am

what you say is right. Ya know Bridget, the way society views things should take a jump. We all know Krishnamurtis quote - it's amazing how sane we are deemed, by how well adjusted we are to an insane society.

A suggestion could be for the veggies to eat less soya. Give the whole species in rainforests a chance to live, and the fertile land in Africa back to it's people so they can grow food for themselves. Instead of using what little fertile land they have for us in the west.

What's one got to do with the other? nothing. Though one is worth much more attention. A classic sign imo, in society. that using the title of Master means anything derogatory. It's less derogatory than 'SOYA-EATER'. Hehe.

Stop the merry-go-round i'm getting off... lol!
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi Folks,

I have had the same thoughts as Ben regarding the master label. To me "Master" denotes "complete understanding"...that would be a stretch for me in the study of Reiki...

"Master Teacher"..."Master Practioner"..."Master Student"...

If Usui looked upon us, considering what was expected from students of his time...i believe he might consider alot of modern day masters to be a bit thin. From what I`ve read and been told...in Usui`s time a person could spend a decade in levels one and two...Alot of modern day Reiki people complete levels one and two in a weekend, and their masters a few weeeks later...So really the paper means nothing in my eyes...

The titles we inherit from attending a class or lecture mean little without a decade or more of intesive practice to back it up...

Just as it is in martial arts...The master creates himself through dedication and practice. He endevours to step beyond his personal limitations to find an understanding only attainable through giving himself to his chosen discipline...As he "masters" his discipline, he becomes the "master" of himself.

Thats my opinion for whats it`s worth...

Jim
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Reikijim wrote:

Hi Folks,

I have had the same thoughts as Ben regarding the master label. To me "Master" denotes "complete understanding"...that would be a stretch for me in the study of Reiki...

"Master Teacher"..."Master Practioner"..."Master Student"...

If Usui looked upon us, considering what was expected from students of his time...i believe he might consider alot of modern day masters to be a bit thin. From what I`ve read and been told...in Usui`s time a person could spend a decade in levels one and two...Alot of modern day Reiki people complete levels one and two in a weekend, and their masters a few weeeks later...So really the paper means nothing in my eyes...

The titles we inherit from attending a class or lecture mean little without a decade or more of intesive practice to back it up...

Just as it is in martial arts...The master creates himself through dedication and practice. He endevours to step beyond his personal limitations to find an understanding only attainable through giving himself to his chosen discipline...As he "masters" his discipline, he becomes the "master" of himself.

Thats my opinion for whats it`s worth...

Jim

As always Jim your opinion is valuable cheers
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:19 pm

I feel that the title Reiki Master is very appropriate and very necessary for many people.
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:27 pm

a very important thing we've been missing in this discussion that reiki mastership is not just a status of 'mastering' an ability, it is the endowment of a super power to confer reiki ability to somebody....

the thing is, that being a reiki master, it is not necessary that a person would be academically, experience-wise, or wisdom-wise 'better' than, for example, someone who is reiki II... but it is a gold standard to say that a reiki master can 'do' something which a reiki-II cannot... i.e., initiation...

i think, if we drop the word 'master' from our name, we are not 'acknowledging' a supreme ability which we possess but somehow reluctant to show our pride for it...

a reiki master is a jewel, a big feather in your hat, just celebrate it Smile

take care

salman
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:09 am

Lambs-Wool wrote:a very important thing we've been missing in this discussion that reiki mastership is not just a status of 'mastering' an ability, it is the endowment of a super power to confer reiki ability to somebody....

the thing is, that being a reiki master, it is not necessary that a person would be academically, experience-wise, or wisdom-wise 'better' than, for example, someone who is reiki II... but it is a gold standard to say that a reiki master can 'do' something which a reiki-II cannot... i.e., initiation...

i think, if we drop the word 'master' from our name, we are not 'acknowledging' a supreme ability which we possess but somehow reluctant to show our pride for it...

a reiki master is a jewel, a big feather in your hat, just celebrate it Smile

take care

salman

Thanks for those words of wisdom sunny cheers
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:02 am

Lambs-Wool wrote:
    salman

Well, well, look who crawled out from inside the straw of the tatami mat!

Hi Salman, good to see you have returned.

:-)
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks Bridget and Buck, and all my friends here, including my Master Wayne Smile

i've been feeling bad of myself for not being able to squeeze time for RLL for which i owe tons really.... i was away from FB and Messengers too... actually a whole new division was added to my job responsibilities at work some months ago, and it is draining my brains out so far Smile

what a sweet welcome back by my colleagues and friends here... heartiest thanks and love !!

take care
    salman
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Post by LuvSoulJah Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate 299796_2379139791151_1030334216_2839079_248811701_n

Laughing
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:04 am

LuvSoulJah wrote:Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate 299796_2379139791151_1030334216_2839079_248811701_n

Laughing

cheers Arrow Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate 78411 Do you question the title, Reiki Master /Teacher, is it appropriate 158903
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:37 am

Lambs-Wool wrote:

i've been feeling bad of myself for not being able to squeeze time for RLL for which i owe tons really....

The forum will always be here for you. As will us all. And me personally. I'm always around for you. As i know you are for me bro.
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:52 pm

I've never been happy with the connotations of the word 'Master'

Sat round a pub table a few weeks ago,we were talking about reiki and one chap said are you a Reiki Master? ( like it was the grandest thing one could be) I said yes i am.... but it's not like you think, the word Master ( in this sense) simply denotes a level of attainment in training, ( explaining there were 3 degrees, in my case 4)I went on to explain it does not reflect the level of ability and experience that the word 'Master' conjures up. I said anyone can become a Reiki Master...without even having that much expereience as a practitioner....I burst his bubble, but I try and keep things real! ahahahah

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:19 pm