Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

Where to begin.

Samaphira
    Samaphira

Where to begin. Empty Where to begin.

Post by Samaphira Thu May 10, 2012 4:51 am

I am new to reiki and wondered if anybody had any pointers on getting started? Thank you.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Where to begin. Empty Re: Where to begin.

Post by Colin Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 am

Hi Samaphira

From your introduction it seems you may not yet have attended a Reiki course or had an attunement/initiation/Reiju?

That is really the first step to becoming a Reiki practitioner - receiving Reiki initiations which enhance the awareness of the Reiki we all have within us and around us.

Although it is possible to get attunements remotely or on-line, it is far better to receive them in person (indeed if you want to become a Reiki practitioner and offer sessions to others and want insurance then you will have to have received attunements in-person). The other advantage of being face-to-face with your teacher is the immediacy of the support and being able be guided and ask questions.

Choosing a Reiki teacher can be confusing because there are literally 100s of styles of Reiki practice out there nowadays - many of which do not bear much resemblance to traditional Japanese Usui Reiki Ryoho.

Your intuition can be a good guide to find an appropriate Reiki teacher for you but also ask yourself a couple of questions such as:
    What do I want to do once I have been attuned? (i.e. self-practice, professional practice, teach? etc.) - you will then be best with a reputable well-known Reiki style taught by a credible, experienced teacher.

Do I want to learn a Reiki style that is as close to the original form as possible? (choose a style such as Jikiden Reiki, Komyo Reiki, Gendai Reiki or a Usui Shiki Ryoho teacher who teaches only what Hawayo Takata taught)

Or do I want to learn a style of Reiki where I can also learn more about other spiritual and/or energetic practices? - you can find all sorts of more New Age styles of Reiki that teach about crystals, chakras, angels, ascended masters, shamanism and even dolphins, grey aliens, runes and Celtic Reiki!

Here are some facts that will help you understand more about traditional Usui Reiki Ryoho:

Usui Reiki Ryoho is not ancient - it was developed in Japan at the beginning of the 20th century by Japanese man called Mikao Usui, who studied widely, drawing upon Esoteric Buddhism, Shinto, Daoism, Shugendo (maybe even some Onmyodo!), martial arts such as Yagyu Ryu and Ninjutsu.

Traditional Reiki practice is very simple and uncluttered but can also be very profound.

Crystal healing, chakras, auras, ascended masters, angels, channelling, Reiki Guides etc. were not part of Reiki teachings originally. They have been added in in some styles by people who have found them interesting and helpful but they are not necessary for the practice of Reiki.

There are 3 main levels, which were ways of splitting the teachings up according to experience not levels of increasing power is is sometimes taught:

Shoden (First teachings) or Reiki 1 is about being attuned to Reiki, learning to practice on yourself, friends and family to gain experience. You will also be taught the Five Reiki Precepts (Gokai) and maybe some simple meditations, plus a little Reiki history.

Okuden (Deeper teachings) or Reiki 2 adds some more techniques such as using Reiki to help with psychological issues and absent healing. To help with those techniques and also with hands on healing you will also be taught Reiki symbols or shirushi.

Shinpiden (Mystery teachings) or Reiki 3 (or Reiki Master) is for when you really want to make Reiki a big part of your life as a spiritual path and also if you want to teach others, as you will learn how to do the attunements at this level. Note that some Reiki teachers split this level into two, where you learn some more spiritual aspects at level 3 and learn the actual attunement and how to organise Reiki classes at level 3b or 4.

Once you have decided whether you want to follow a more traditional path or a more New Age path let me know and I may be able to recommend some books to read. However, unless you have a good idea of which way to want to go, simply reading any Reiki book or website could be quite confusing as there is a lot of conflicting and misleading information out there!

Smile

Hope that helps
    Samaphira
    Samaphira

Post by Samaphira Thu May 10, 2012 6:05 pm

I would like to learn the original Japanese reiki as I already have a good knowledge and skill in energy work and shamanism.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Fri May 11, 2012 6:01 pm

Smile

Then I can recommend 'Light on the Origins of Reiki' by Tadao Yamaguchi (he is actually one of my Reiki teachers).

Other good books about the traditional Japanese approach to Reiki are 'The Art of Japanese Reiki' by Frans and Bronwen Stiene and any books by Frank Arjava Petter.

Some Reiki styles that teach a Japanese approach to Reiki are Jikiden Reiki, Komyo Reiki, Gendai Reiki (although this does also teach some non-Reiki techniques, the Japanese approach is still there) and Usui Reiki Ryoho courses run by the International House of Reiki (Frans and Bronwen Stiene) or Reiki Evolution (Taggart King). Then there is also my own Reiki: pure & simple with is a distillation of all of these styles Smile

Of course there are also other excellent Reiki styles out there - I have only mentioned those with a traditional Japanese approach that I have personal experience of! Smile

If you let me know which part of the world you are in (send me a private message if you want) I will see if I know any Reiki teachers in your area.

Smile
    Samaphira
    Samaphira

Post by Samaphira Fri May 11, 2012 6:03 pm

Hertfordshire in England, although I have no money, and very little transport. I'm allso 14, and the last place I looked required you to be 18+.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Fri May 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Ah, so that IS your real age! lol Smile

Such an unusual set of interests for one so young (although I think I was also about that age when I started taking an interest in such things - a long time ago now!) but it is also wonderful to hear!

Unfortunately, I think you will find that most reputable Reiki teachers will charge for Reiki seminars. If they are experienced then they will value their time and expertise and this is what you pay for (not the Reiki because that is of course free!)

How supportive are your parents? There is no real age limit on learning Reiki (just practicalities really) but it is prudent for Reiki teachers to make sure they have written permission from the parents (or someone legally responsible) of students or clients under the age of 16 - even for a remote attunement. But it the teacher's choice in the end.

Still there really is no rush! Why not spend some time reading some of the books I mentioned and try some of the exercises in some them. If you have experience of working with subtle energies you may also benefit from those exercises even without an attunement. Reiki is within us all - the awareness just needs to be awakened - and it is more sound asleep in some people than others! Smile

There are Reiki Evolution teachers who teach in Hertfordshire and while I have not actually attended one of their courses, I have seen the material they use to teach and I have known Taggart King (who runs Reiki Evolution) for many years via email and internet.
    If your parents and relatives are supportive why not ask them to club together to give you a gift of the money for a Reiki class for a birthday or Christmas present?
    Smile
    Samaphira
    Samaphira

Post by Samaphira Sat May 12, 2012 3:04 am

I have a friend who offers Reiki who runs the local Metaphysical shop. I may ask him. Yes it's my real age - I offered my services in dealing with the spiritual and paranormal and many were surprised when I turned up on the door with a bag of my tools Wink. My mum is against magick and the occult. I practice in secret.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sun May 27, 2012 4:14 am

Hi Samaphira

Have you approached your friend in the Metaphysical shop about Reiki yet?

Your mum may be against magick and the occult but Usui Reiki Ryoho is neither of these! It is a Japanese spiritual practice that benefits the practitioner and enables the practitioner to help others.

Have a read of this article and maybe think about sharing it with your mum as something you would like to learn? Maybe she would be more approachable if she could see that Reiki is not magick or occult and is something very natural but just not that well known?

Because many Reiki practitioners are also into wicca, magick, angels, crystals, energy work of various kinds, spiritualism etc., people are often given the wrong idea about Reiki practice. That is why I prefer to teach and practice Reiki as close as possible to the way it was originally practiced in Japan, without any of the additional non-Reiki concepts and practices that have been added-in to Reiki practice by many Reiki practitioners nowadays. Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun May 27, 2012 12:07 pm

Colin wrote:Hi Samaphira

Have you approached your friend in the Metaphysical shop about Reiki yet?

Your mum may be against magick and the occult but Usui Reiki Ryoho is neither of these! It is a Japanese spiritual practice that benefits the practitioner and enables the practitioner to help others.

Have a read of this article and maybe think about sharing it with your mum as something you would like to learn? Maybe she would be more approachable if she could see that Reiki is not magick or occult and is something very natural but just not that well known?

Because many Reiki practitioners are also into wicca, magick, angels, crystals, energy work of various kinds, spiritualism etc., people are often given the wrong idea about Reiki practice. That is why I prefer to teach and practice Reiki as close as possible to the way it was originally practiced in Japan, without any of the additional non-Reiki concepts and practices that have been added-in to Reiki practice by many Reiki practitioners nowadays. Smile

Great advice Collin. sunny

Where's the article you referred to study
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sun May 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Samphira and Bridget

I forgot the link to the article Embarassed . Thanks for noticing, Bridget:

http://www.integrative-healthcare.org/mt/archives/2012/01/hospital_based.html

Smile
    Samaphira
    Samaphira

Post by Samaphira Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 am

thank you. My mum is opposed to me practicing another spirituality at the moment. She thinks I am too young to understand. I see what you mean though. It isn't magick as such, it's a way of life. I haven't had a chance due to my studies (school ones that is Sad ). I think I'll ask about it during the holidays when I have more time and no revision to do.
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Wed May 30, 2012 6:46 am

Colin wrote:Your mum may be against magick and the occult but Usui Reiki Ryoho is neither of these! It is a Japanese spiritual practice that benefits the practitioner and enables the practitioner to help others.

I think that your mother has a lot of common sense. I've explored magick and occultism and found it to be little other than an excuse to hang out with a lot that just wants to smoke pot in the context of a religious ritual.

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed May 30, 2012 9:42 am

Samaphira wrote:thank you. My mum is opposed to me practicing another spirituality at the moment. She thinks I am too young to understand. I see what you mean though. It isn't magick as such, it's a way of life. I haven't had a chance due to my studies (school ones that is Sad ). I think I'll ask about it during the holidays when I have more time and no revision to do.

Hi Samaphira

It is good that you concentrate on your school studies - they may not seem as cool as Reiki etc. but they are just as important. On the Path we have to balance the spiritual with the mundane (yin/yang) as I am sure you realise Smile

You have plenty of time to continue your journey.

Good luck with your exams. study

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:20 pm