Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+4
mike tyson
chi_solas
LightBody
Milarepa
8 posters

Takata's teaching methods

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Takata's teaching methods Empty Takata's teaching methods

Post by Milarepa Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 pm

With the freeing of information across the internet being made available to all, it has help created a curious psuedo-expert community. You name it, if one can type it into google, there'll be people regurgitating the information elsewhere. As if it is fact...

This is the second curious aspect of the internet. If people read something, particularly something that is wrote with some authority it tends to be automatically believed. If there is supporting 'evidence' (tongue in cheek) from other seemingly independent areas this solidifies the 'authenticity'. Indeed, the more people believe it, the more 'truthful' it is. Whether the original text is true, or even the supporting 'evidence' seems to not matter. Very few seem to check for themselves.

For a long time there has been a loose 'movement' online and in person, that chooses to write and speak derogatory about Takata, what she taught, and really much of what she achieved. Some of this is organized, some of it spontaneous. With many of the guilty merely repeating what they are told. Ironic really, when it is highlighted that some of the misinformation is coming from so-called authentic or original Japanese styles. Styles that themselves are merely modern creations. Ignoring Takata's Master students training, sometimes pre-dating these other styles actual creation by a quarter of a century.

It's purely business, not personal. I write, with my best image of the Godfather film. Typically targeting the western consumer base. The psyche of western consumerism is to go from one thing to another. Improving, upgrading, apparently getting better and better. Much like your car i guess. While one is jumping about from one foot to another desperately searching for that authentic, missing component, certain other styles are targeting that. I mean, if you love the Reiki experience, typically trained in Usui Shiki Ryoho in the west, but read non-stop online how inferior the style is, how wrong it is, how Takata done this or that, you will have likely defaulted to your western consumer impulses. And searched for that which is missing. God knows what that really is. I've been like this for sure. Can't blame you for being the same. Meanwhile, these styles, i mean - international businesses with smokey mirrors, are raking the cash in. There'll be no admission, likely no interaction from the styles, and 'famous' people guilty of this, they tend to boycott this forum. Seemingly not appreciative of our free expression. Razz .

You have all heard, and read, of the so-called inconsistencies, even labelled as lies, that Takata is accused of teaching. While some things Takata said cannot be proved to be true, they also cannot be proved false. What always surprises me is that people in the West don't recognize Takata for what she was = a spiritual teacher. She did share something that falls under that description. Or, if you like it's more scientific equivalents. The label doesn't matter. We know what the Reiki experience is. Two thousand years ago it may have solely been described as one thing. Likely was, in a variation of experience.

Takata taught something that greatly speeds up ones own evolution toward self-awareness. The tactics she used to get points across was no different than many other famous teachers. Recently; Sri Nisargadatta, Papaji, Ramana Maharshi. Not so recently; Buddha, Jesus, etc. Did you know that with some of these teachers that the exact same teaching was slightly changed at times? This was to help the student/listener to understand clearly what was being said to them. It was/is the sign of an intuitive teacher, who realizes that the integrity of the parable means nothing, compared to the ability of the student to understand the teaching being shared.

Much has been made against Takata for doing exactly what spiritual teachers have done for thousands of years = Changing details in her teaching parables. If i made up a story, shared it with you, and the realizations from that fictional story helped foster in you understandings that helped you for the rest of your life, would that be a problem to you?

LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Takata's teaching methods Empty Re: Takata's teaching methods

Post by LightBody Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:39 am

Yes, unless you tell me that you are telling me an inspirational or motivational story.

With respect to the spiritual teachers that you mentioned, it was a much different time -- a much different mindset -- than what we have today. In their time literacy was reserved to the elite upper class, mostly monks and priests. The people did not read and were not expected to read, but were rather expected to behave (in the way the ruling classes told them to behave). And the people, above all, were not expected to "think" about things, but rather only react. Most people learned of things by word of mouth with no way to confirm "this or that".

Many years ago when I was much younger and much angrier (at the world), I was greatly offended that what I was taught as truth was not true. The most incredibly powerful energy I had ever sensed awakened within me through Takata's story of Usui, and then when I learned it was false, I reacted with a great deal of anger, and anger and youth are not always a pleasant combination. Takata in that time and in my eyes was no longer this great teacher, but rather a charlatan who created more of the same. It took many years for me to heal through that anger. I hurt many people along the way, but in time, the healing power of Reiki soothed my pain and gradually healed my mind as well.

Since Takata told her story, a few unrelated but significantly negative and important events occurred in society. These events involved religious/spiritual leaders lying to their members and inspiring them to either harm others or commit suicide. The 1978 Jonestown massacre, the 1995 sarin gas attack, and the 1997 Heavens Gate suicides are a few horribly notable events widely publicized that began to gradually change the public opinion on inspirational stories… there was not an instant change where people overall began to suddenly prefer truth to fiction, but rather it was a gradual change that occurred over some decades. The change also grew in proportion to the use of communication technologies, such as widespread use of the mobile phone, the internet, and then to mobile internet devices.

Takata clearly inspired a very special healing energy to awaken in many individuals. While the story she told may have been shown to be a highly creative and inspiring work of fiction, it has grown beyond its beginnings to encompass the story of Takata. Now, it is no longer Usui's story that awakens this powerful healing energy in so many, but that of Takata's Story, which is more truthful.

Today, when I think of Takata, I find feelings of a wonderful human being who simply wanted to help others heal and did so in the best way she knew how.

Because of many of the negative societal events that I mentioned above, today if I’m being told a story then I want to know if it is truth or fiction. If it is truth, I can find inspiration through the struggles that the person telling it went through, and look to them as a beacon of hope and healing. If it is fiction, I can enjoy the emotions evoked by the story. contemplate philosophical meanings of the story, and discover more about myself in the process.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:44 am

LightBody wrote:

With respect to the spiritual teachers that you mentioned, it was a much different time -- a much different mindset -- than what we have today. In their time literacy was reserved to the elite upper class, mostly monks and priests. The people did not read and were not expected to read, but were rather expected to behave (in the way the ruling classes told them to behave). And the people, above all, were not expected to "think" about things, but rather only react. Most people learned of things by word of mouth with no way to confirm "this or that".

Two of the teachers were from a time long ago = Jesus and Buddha. The other three though lived within the last 100 years Buck. Papaji and Nisargadatta were both students of Ramana. Papaji died in 1997. Nisrgadatta died in 1981. I doubt things changed that quickly! I can give another dozen modern teachers who also use quite effectively the strategy of ensuring the student doesn't get hung up on the words, but rather the meaning. Heck, i'm being taught it myself at the minute, and plan to also teach it.

Difference with many of these teachers, is that they haven't got the erroneous publicity that Takata did. Yet they were still teaching around the same time as Takata. Different mindset? Yeah, that sounds apt!

LightBody wrote:
    Takata clearly inspired a very special healing energy to awaken in many individuals. While the story she told may have been shown to be a highly creative and inspiring work of fiction...

Explain to me how 'the' story she told was a highly creative work of fiction...

LightBody wrote:
    Because of many of the negative societal events that I mentioned above, today if I’m being told a story then I want to know if it is truth or fiction.

What lies are you saying Takata said?

P.S. Those people in those massacres were teaching bad things. There are thousands of people that have benefited in modern times, with teachers who know that understanding the teaching is infinitely more important than getting hung up on it's words. People who have evolved greatly with this form of teaching. There are whole movements based on it..
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:12 am

Milarepa wrote:Explain to me how 'the' story she told was a highly creative work of fiction... What lies are you saying Takata said?

Re: http://www.reiki.org/faq/MrsTakataTalks.html

To name a few "lies" or "creative fictions":

1. Usui was not a physician or licensed medical doctor
    2. Usui was not the Dean of a Christian missionary school
    3. Takata's Reiki was not the only surviving branch of Reiki

Regardless of the truth of the story, it was highly inspirational and served to help spread a very powerful and profound healing energy across the globe.

Milarepa wrote:P.S. Those people in those massacres were teaching bad things.

That's a matter of perspective. From our perspective, especially with hindsight, yes. But, from their perspective or the perspective of their students (followers, believers)....

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 am

LightBody wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:Explain to me how 'the' story she told was a highly creative work of fiction... What lies are you saying Takata said?

Re: http://www.reiki.org/faq/MrsTakataTalks.html

To name a few "lies" or "creative fictions":

1. Usui was not a physician or licensed medical doctor

Takata never said he was a medical doctor. She referred to him as Dr. Usui. The memorial stone does state Usui studied medicine though, and he healed many people. William Rand (owner of reiki.org folks) and others assumed she meant a medical doctor. There is no evidence she did.

If people checked Takata's Master certificate provided and signed by Hayashi, they would see he referred to Usui as doctor. Not offence to William Rand, but i'll go with Hayashi knowing more about Usui than him. Hayashi also referred to himself as a doctor in that very certificate. Lending more weight 'Doctor' was used in a proper context.

LightBody wrote:
  • Usui was not the Dean of a Christian missionary school

• what is it that makes everyone assume that Takata was telling lies when she always said she was telling the story as told to her by Hayashi?

Of course if everyone realized Hayashi, or anyone at his time in Japan were telling fibs it would discredit a few modern Japanese styles. No, best to blame it on Takata, those lazy westerners won't try to find out the truth.

LightBody wrote:
  • Takata's Reiki was not the only surviving branch of Reiki

• It wasn't? Oh, yah mean the newly created Japanese styles, with their constantly updated, ahem, 'factual' history. Some of these styles cant' seem to get it sorted when they started. They are modern styles. After Takata telling the story. Oh, they revise their history all the time, but some of these styles were created in the late 1990's. I don't go in for the secret one contact 'original' styles. I've been burned financially by a liar, Robert Jefford.

I'd encourage everyone that reads this to look at all things in the Reiki world critically. Don't just accept things in the Reiki world just because it purports to comes from Japan. I'm not bothered who gets annoyed at that either. The truth is more important than being politically correct.

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:32 am

Thanks for this awareness thread.
    When I teach "Reiki" I tell my
    students this is what I learned
    from my Reiki Teacher and explain
    to them that she and have since
    discussed what are the "true"
    facts. There is so much untrue and
    true facts out there that I make my
    students aware that they are going
    to meet other Reiki folks or read
    Reiki books that will have conflicting
    viewpoints around the history of the
    Reiki System. sunny study scratch Takata's teaching methods 850837
    mike tyson

Takata's teaching methods Empty reiki

Post by mike tyson Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:54 am

When using guidance for what works with reiki. I use a saying in my Bible for authenticity. If it works than God approves of it. If it doesn't than either God doesn't approve of the method or I'm not concentrating enough .
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:33 pm

mike tyson wrote:When using guidance for what works with reiki. I use a saying in my Bible for authenticity. If it works than God approves of it. If it doesn't than either God doesn't approve of the method or I'm not concentrating enough .

If one does not believe
    in God then what scratch
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Okay.

Why would anyone want to learn Takata's version of Reiki through anyone other than someone directly in Phyllis Furumoto's lineage (if not Phyllis herself)?

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 pm

That's a great question Buck. The alliance did get together and decide what is what after Takata died. There are said to be some strands of lineage that strictly adhere to what Takata taught, as in they never changed a thing.

When I found out what I had been taught was not what should have been in Usui Shiki Ryoho, i rather openly was upset for a time. Sometime later i began to see and appreciate the route Usui Shiki Ryoho took, and the way it can mold itself to anyone's beliefs has in face assured it's longevity.

I remained steadfastly in the view that Takata's original ways should be also available. This was because I am certain that much has been missed from it. I'm expecting that James' research, and Robert Fuestons own research and upcoming book on Takata will gives us many signposts.

Robert is going to teach myself. why am i not going to the Alliance? I have approached them before. Being taught first two levels isn't that hard, being gave the option to be taught level 3 is not easy. Many simply do not want to teach Master level anymore. I've been lucky, I expect that same teaching, and the availability of being a Master candidate with Robert.

As much as i'm all for Usui Shiki Ryoho, It's important and proper I feel that there are other expressions of Reiki. An example is Mike and Bridgets posts here. Two different views, two different experiences yet both totally valid.

warmest wishes

Wayne
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:29 pm

Was Fueston attuned by Furumoto? Is he a part of the Alliance?

LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm

Never mind, I Google'd my question...

Fueston's lineage is here:
    http://www.reikisystem.com/reiki/lineage.html

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:14 pm

At the time of writing this, he isn't a member of the Alliance. He is becoming more involved with them though.

Robert is one of the globally recognized authorities on Takata, and was a Master candidate of Fran Brown. It's Frans lineage that as far as I'm aware, sticks rigidly to the way Takata taught.
    mike tyson

Post by mike tyson Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 am

chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:When using guidance for what works with reiki. I use a saying in my Bible for authenticity. If it works than God approves of it. If it doesn't than either God doesn't approve of the method or I'm not concentrating enough .

If one does not believe
    in God then what scratch
    i do what works for me, if others don't, than they ve to find what works for them. I am not responsible for the reality of others only mine.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:58 am

mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

If one does not believe
    in God then what scratch
    i do what works for me, if others don't, than they ve to find what works for them. I am not responsible for the reality of others only mine.

Excellent point sunny
    mike tyson

Post by mike tyson Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:17 am

chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

If one does not believe
    in God then what scratch

Excellent point sunny
    thanks for making me think it's good exercise.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:29 am

mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

If one does not believe
    in God then what scratch

Excellent point sunny

Mike we all practice the
    Reiki system at different
    levels. The energy we work
    with is the same. sunny
    Reiki Bliss
    Reiki Bliss
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Post by Reiki Bliss Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:05 pm

When i was taught Reiki, it was said that Usui was referred to as Dr like it was Sir in the western world, out of respect. That he was a teacher and student of the theological school, it was only after he was questioned about how Jesus healed that he left to discover the answer which lead him to finding Reiki. I was also taught that Reiki by no means was a religion therefore no connotations of religion were used as it was offered to all walks of life with or without religious backgrounds. It is a powerful catalyst for spiritual growth which opens the mind and spirit for all things, and you can run with whatever works for you personally. In its simple form its the usage of UNIVERSAL LIFE FORCE ENERGY. This is what I pass onto my students. keep it simple. Namaste
    mike tyson

Post by mike tyson Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:52 pm

chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

If one does not believe
    in God then what scratch

Excellent point sunny

Mike we all practice the
    with is the same. sunny

Where did that energy originate from?

Whrn a distant reiki is sent, how does it get to it's destination?
    If we have a higher self, why can't the Universe?
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:09 am

mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

If one does not believe
    in God then what scratch

Excellent point sunny

Mike we all practice the
    with is the same. sunny

Many folks have their own
    version of the origin of
    the Reiki Systems energy flower

IMO it is known as Universal life
    Force Energy (ULFE) The day your
    born you receive this gift when
    you are cut from your mother's
    umbilical cord and take your first
    breath of life. That breath continues
    with you until you die. We often are
    unaware of this ULFE within us. We
    can observe life around us through
    the four seasons and with every new
    born that comes into our lives. Some
    folks call this life's energy a Miracle sunny
    mike tyson

Post by mike tyson Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:32 am

chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:
    mike tyson wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

If one does not believe
    in God then what scratch

Excellent point sunny

Mike we all practice the
    with is the same. sunny

Many folks have their own
    version of the origin of
    the Reiki Systems energy flower

IMO it is known as Universal life
    Force Energy (ULFE) The day your
    born you receive this gift when
    you are cut from your mother's
    umbilical cord and take your first
    breath of life. That breath continues
    with you until you die. We often are
    unaware of this ULFE within us. We
    can observe life around us through
    the four seasons and with every new
    born that comes into our lives. Some
    folks call this life's energy a Miracle sunny

it is a miracle since most that are born in the animal world do not have freewill like we humans do.
    Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:00 am

It is great that we can learn even more about the history of Reiki and especially Takata's teachings nowadays.

I gain more and more respect for what Takata did and taught.
    She was indeed a spiritual teacher. From what I experienced in a meditation a few years ago she would like to be referred to as Takata-sensei as well Razz

It is great to see that there are people who are diving into the stories surrounding Takata's teachings.
    She was a wise woman.

I do believe her teachings differ from Hayashi's teachings and that Hayashi's teachings are not entirely the same as Usui-sensei's teachings.
    Yet, this doesn't mean that the former is less valuable than the latter. Just different, but beautiful in their own ways with their own application and their own objectives. Nothing more, nothing less.

Milarepa wrote:
    LightBody wrote:
    [*]Takata's Reiki was not the only surviving branch of Reiki
    [/list]

It wasn't? Oh, yah mean the newly created Japanese styles, with their constantly updated, ahem, 'factual' history.

Well, I feel you can't deny that there were still others in Japan practising Reiki, even when Takata advertised she was the only one left.

And, not all Japanese styles are new.

Some Japanese styles are reconstructions of what Hayashi taught. Some styles are reconstructions of what Usui-sensei taught and some are reconstructions of what the URR Gakkai taught/teaches.

Although the reconstruction itself can be new, I believe they want it to be as close to how it once was as possible.

Additionally, I do believe the Usui Reiki Ryōhō Gakkai exists and this organisation or their style can't be called "new" or "modern".

I think Hawayo Takata was a great woman and I have great respect for what she did.
    And the fact that not every detail of what she said/taught can be proven to be true doesn't change a single thing about her teachings being wonderful nor about her wonderful personality.

*Gasshō*
    Frank
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:41 am

Frank wrote:It is great that we can learn even more about the history of Reiki and especially Takata's teachings nowadays.

I gain more and more respect for what Takata did and taught.
    She was indeed a spiritual teacher. From what I experienced in a meditation a few years ago she would like to be referred to as Takata-sensei as well Razz

It is great to see that there are people who are diving into the stories surrounding Takata's teachings.
    She was a wise woman.

I do believe her teachings differ from Hayashi's teachings and that Hayashi's teachings are not entirely the same as Usui-sensei's teachings.
    Yet, this doesn't mean that the former is less valuable than the latter. Just different, but beautiful in their own ways with their own application and their own objectives. Nothing more, nothing less.

Milarepa wrote:
    LightBody wrote:
    [*]Takata's Reiki was not the only surviving branch of Reiki
    [/list]

It wasn't? Oh, yah mean the newly created Japanese styles, with their constantly updated, ahem, 'factual' history.

Well, I feel you can't deny that there were still others in Japan practising Reiki, even when Takata advertised she was the only one left.

Some Japanese styles are reconstructions of what Hayashi taught. Some styles are reconstructions of what Usui-sensei taught and some are reconstructions of what the URR Gakkai taught/teaches.

Although the reconstruction itself can be new, I believe they want it to be as close to how it once was as possible.

Additionally, I do believe the Usui Reiki Ryōhō Gakkai exists and this organisation or their style can't be called "new" or "modern".

I think Hawayo Takata was a great woman and I have great respect for what she did.
    And the fact that not every detail of what she said/taught can be proven to be true doesn't change a single thing about her teachings being wonderful nor about her wonderful personality.

*Gasshō*
    Frank

Good to hear Takata being praised sunny
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:43 am

Hi Frank! Good t see ya again!

Frank wrote:

I do believe her teachings differ from Hayashi's teachings..

Chiyoko Yamaguchi is reported as saying to Fran Brown that Fran is the only one teaching Hayashi Reiki in the west. After they compared their teachings. I wasn't there, so don't know.

Frank wrote:

There were? Who?

If she did say that, why is it assumed it is anything derogatory on her part? she always mantained she taught as Hayashi taught her. Of course, for this to be acknowledged means Hayashi may have lied not Takata. And is tricky for existing Japanese styles that rely so heavily on Hayashi, while putting down Takata. No matter how unofficially or private they do.

Frank wrote:

Why, because they say so now?

Frank wrote:

Why not? If it is a new creation, it is new. Something claimed without any supporting evidence that can be critically looked at, is highly suspect. Particularly when it is the basis of people having the marketable value of sharing something unique, in an international way. It's how international business works. These are businesses. Individuals follow their hearts in our Reiki world, but it blinds. It is crystal clear that some Japanese styles have created lies about other styles (Japanese). While also revising their history. This kind of mindset is the way a business will work to protect it's existing and potential consumer base. While nullifying the competition. It's not very Reiki like though is it? If the shot-callers in these organizations are happy to do those kind of things, it's wise to take a step back and think.

How does the Gakkai exist? It's a rainbow. No matter how far ya travel, it will always be out of reach. Just a trick of the light..

I harken back to the Hikkei. I've never seen anything remotely original, or real. Only PDF, and images. I'm sure neither Usui or Hayashi created PDF's. And images are easily Photoshopped. Yet the Reiki world accepts the Hikkei as authentic. It may be. How could i know for sure? And that is the point. It was instrumental in the reputation, and the business, of two key folks in the Reiki world though.

Frank wrote:
    And the fact that not every detail of what she said/taught can be proven to be true ....

*Gasshō*
    Frank

Same is true for at least 5 other well known global Reiki teachers still alive now.

It's hardly a 'fact' though. Probably if one includes themselves automatically assuming things, without checking it out, and placing it in context. Maybe those people have a certain perception. Smile. The tide is changing though..

Warmest wishes

Wayne
    Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:56 am

Milarepa wrote:Chiyoko Yamaguchi is reported as saying to Fran Brown that Fran is the only one teaching Hayashi Reiki in the west. After they compared their teachings. I wasn't there, so don't know.

Just because Fran or Chiyoko said it? Razz

I'm kidding. Although there is some truth in it.
    There are a lot of uncertainties with regard to Reiki history, I'm the first to admit that. And sometimes we can only decide whether we trust a source or not.

However, there is also another way of finding some truth. And that is by practising. Just by doing and finding out whether something works the way the teacher says it works. Using your common sense is also very useful.

I have known a time when I was very confused about Reiki history. Different people were making different claims and sometimes very contradictory. It was a very defining moment for me and my own Reiki practise.
    Therefore I started my own little research into Reiki history. Reading about the research and the meetings other teachers conducted, talking to some of them, using logics -and- by practising the meditations I learned later on gave a lot of insight.

There are people who say that Usui-sensei's teachings were about spiritual development (with mainly meditation) rather than using energy in treatments.

By following the path (of what is said to be Usui's) you can discover it's purpose.
    The path itself provides the best indication. Just look at a meditation, practise it and after you've mastered it.. analyse it.. and you'll see the direction the meditations are taking you in / the direction the path is headed.

Milarepa wrote:
    Frank wrote:

There were? Who?

At least Chie Hayashi, to keep this part of the conversation simple Razz
    (And I can imagine all the other people Hayashi trained..)

Milarepa wrote:Why not? If it is a new creation, it is new. Something claimed without any supporting evidence that can be critically looked at, is highly suspect. Particularly when it is the basis of people having the marketable value of sharing something unique, in an international way. It's how international business works. These are businesses.

Yet, the Gakkai doesn't really promote itself. If they exist (which I assume they do), they are not trying to sell anything to a wide audience and it doesn't seem to be a business to them.
    And I can very well imagine reasons for such a society to be quite closed.

I find Usui's memorial stone and the document from or about Fumio Ogawa quite convincing (all referring to the Gakkai).

It is difficult to find hard evidence.
    Also because I know there are some people with inside information who are not very open about it. This also complicates my explanation of why I believe some things to be true.

Still, I found it very helpful to look at what a teacher is actually teaching, what the teachings did to that person, whether it sounds logical etc.
    If I look at what my teacher has taught me over the years.. everything makes sense. There is a very logical structure and every next step follows naturally from the previous step.
    The same is true for a Reiki-friend who is a student of Chris Marsh (and has been teaching for several years now).

These are both very wise men, their consciousness and their energy are very humbling.
    So for me.. there must be truth in what they're teaching. (Especially if I look at what their teachings do for me.. My consciousness and energy are gradually more becoming like theirs.)

It's a part of my personal path with Reiki and it's hard to explain why I know some things are true and why I assume some things are true.
    I did my best to explain how I came to certain assumptions. In the end, not all about Reiki history is certain. And sometimes we have to choose whether we trust a source or not. And this decision (at least for me) is based on logic, historical background, the level of understanding the person telling or teaching has him/herself, educational guesses and personal experience with those teachings.

Based on your experiences you might make an other decision of which sources you trust.

*Gasshō*
    Frank

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:55 am