Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

The Placebo Effect

Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

The Placebo Effect Empty The Placebo Effect

Post by Pandora Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:27 pm

While researching the nature of healing for an academic essay, I came across articles published in the New Scientist last August on the nature of placebo, which people here might find interesting.

Unfortunately they are locked to subscribers, so what I suggest is that you try and get from your local library (or order a copy of the New Scientist online) the issue dated 20 August 2008 with the articles in!

It seems that medical science is discovering that much of its foundation is based on the power of the placebo (or the nocebo, the opposite effect). Also, that this effect has many different components, such as, is the patient being treated in harsh clinical surroundings, or a welcoming, comfortable room? Does the attitude of the clinician have an effect on the efficiacy of the treatment - in other words, is a patient receiving unconditional positive regard, or a degree of doubt or disbelief in themselves or the therapy, which they are subconsciously picking up on? Is the mere fact of receiving a treatment having a positive effect on the outcome? Is having your condition taken seriously enough to improve it?
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

The Placebo Effect Empty Re: The Placebo Effect

Post by Rlei_ki Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Pandora wrote:...articles published in the New Scientist last August on the nature of placebo.
    ...It seems that medical science is discovering that much of its foundation is based on the power of the placebo ....

I believe 'mainstream medicine' has always acknowledged this (at least privately)

Pandora wrote:...the attitude of the clinician.. a patient receiving unconditional positive regard...having your condition taken seriously enough to improve it?....

Seems like in recent years 'mainstream medicine' has had a touch of amnesia...

such considerations used to form part of what was referred to as the Doctor's "Bedside manner" - something which, even up to the 1960's was understood as being almost as important as the medicines prescribed

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:04 am

Dr's should be concerned with healing folks
    and looking at what really heals. Attitudes
    is a plus. Treating the whole person with
    dignity and directing them to better ways to
    stay healthy. Starting with the mouth and only
    feeding the body foods that alkalize the body.

I would guess that Researchers already know this. Basketball

sunny
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:17 am

The other discussion that comes to my mind (from sometime back) under the topic is one, why a placebo actually works -

- It's the power of intention!

The patient takes it with the intention that it is going to help him and it probably really works for him...

I can't remember where I read it but it made sense to me, so I remember it!
    Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 am