Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+3
Colin
Frank
Lambs-Wool
7 posters

Different ways of using symbols.

Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Different ways of using symbols. Empty Re: Different ways of using symbols.

Post by Lambs-Wool Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:04 am

hi Frank Smile

Thanks for the info... Drawing CKR with tounge on roof top of mouth is very powerful feeling... However i dont precisely recollect whether the technique was gyoshi ho or gyoshi kokki (or kokyo) ho...one is for empowering breath and other is sweetening of breath for initiations... Please pour some light if you have that info handy atm.

Hey how manage to add accent over 'o' in gassho Smile ? Some keyboard trick?

Take care

Salman
    Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:52 am

Lambs-Wool wrote:However i dont precisely recollect whether the technique was gyoshi ho or gyoshi kokki (or kokyo) ho...one is for empowering breath and other is sweetening of breath for initiations... Please pour some light if you have that info handy atm.

There is Koki Hō and there is Gyōshi Hō.

Koki Hō: "method of breathing ki"; sending energy through breath.
    Gyōshi Hō: method of sending/giving energy by concentrated looking at something. No breath there Razz

These methods are primarily meant for treatment purposes.
    As far as I know, Usui-sensei didn't use an initiation ritual. He did use reiju, but this was given to students at every meeting between teacher and student.. and something given that regularly can't really be called an initiation ritual Razz

So Gyōshi Hō is not used for an initiation ritual. And the reiju ritual I know makes no use of breathing.

I am familiar with drawing symbol 1 with the tongue. It can indeed be pretty powerful or intense. But this is not necessarily Gyōshi Hō, but it can be used in a "Gyōshi Hō"-way.

Lambs-Wool wrote:Hey how manage to add accent over 'o' in gassho Smile ? Some keyboard trick?

The thing over the "o" is called a "macron". Unfortunately I haven't found a keyboard trick that always works. There is a keyboard trick that works in Microsoft Word (and perhaps other Microsoft products): Alt 0333

Copy-paste from the "character map" in Windows is still the best way, as far as I know. I use this myself when I use Windows. I also use Linux sometimes and Linux has an other way (spacial characters toolbar).

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/e/j/ejp10/psu/gotunicode/macron.html

*Gasshō*
    Frank
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:21 am

Hi Salman and Frank

I think this is what Salman was referring to:

http://www.aetw.org/d_kokiyu.htm

Smile
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:46 am

yes indeed Colin cheers

I haven't practice enough of these two techniques... Really applause Colin... You are always there when i need help

Blessings
    Sensei ni rei

Salman
    rzukic
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by rzukic Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:48 pm

Kudos to you guys! You put some time and effort into the research and the result is evident! Now I need to add that I never studied any Japanese style and do not know single Japanese term but drawing symbols using tongue or sending reiki through the feet or eyes is also thought in Western Reiki. In addition moving energy is also thought. Particularly popular was so called “opening other nostril” and change the breathing pattern (both our own and our training partner as well)

I remember learning those techniques way back. However, it wasn't until I joined RLL that I learned some Japanese terms such as Gassho (we called it Reiki Prayer Position) and so on.

Regards,

Resko
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:24 pm

rzukic wrote:Kudos to you guys! You put some time and effort into the research and the result is evident! Now I need to add that I never studied any Japanese style and do not know single Japanese term but drawing symbols using tongue or sending reiki through the feet or eyes is also thought in Western Reiki. In addition moving energy is also thought. Particularly popular was so called “opening other nostril” and change the breathing pattern (both our own and our training partner as well)

I remember learning those techniques way back. However, it wasn't until I joined RLL that I learned some Japanese terms such as Gassho (we called it Reiki Prayer Position) and so on.

Regards,

Resko

Hi Resko

Yes, sometimes it seems we research the history or the Japanese aspects of Reiki and find that we arrive back at something we already know but with a Japanese name attached! Laughing

Obviously, it is not essential to use Japanese names for everything we practice in Reiki. Firstly we need to understand the technique fully and practice it - and this is usually best done with a name that describes what you are doing in your native language.

However, I remember when I was learning judo (many many years ago, as a child) we had to learn the Japanese names for all the techniques and phrases for starting and ending a bout or contest. So, I feel happy doing the same with Reiki, since it to is a Japanese system and it somehow seems respectful to the system. Smile

By the way, your "opening other nostril" technique sounds a little like the yoga technique of pranayama - I haven't come across it in Reiki before. Smile
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Colin wrote:
    rzukic wrote: Now I need to add that I never studied any Japanese style and do not know single Japanese term.........
    Regards,

Resko

Hi Resko

Yes, sometimes it seems we research the history or the Japanese aspects of Reiki and find that we arrive back at something we already know but with a Japanese name attached! Laughing

italicised are mine, this speaks much as far as we are concerned with origins of Japaneese style too study sunny

Colin wrote:
    .... to learn the Japanese names for all the techniques and phrases......... and it somehow seems respectful to the system. Smile

thats very true Smile! we can't 'taste' anything unless we put it in mouth lol!

By the way, your "opening other nostril" technique sounds a little like the yoga technique of pranayama - I haven't come across it in Reiki before. Smile

yeah, and arguably this is to regulate the parity between solar breath, and lunar breath, assigned to nostrils separately study

Smile

take care

salman

rzukic
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by rzukic Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:23 am

Hi Collin,

However, I remember when I was learning judo (many many years ago, as a child) we had to learn the Japanese names for all the techniques and phrases for starting and ending a bout or contest. So, I feel happy doing the same with Reiki, since it to is a Japanese system and it somehow seems respectful to the system. Smile

I hope my post didn't come across as disrespectful in any way. As I said I appreciate and respect all efforts you guys putting in the research. This is by no means an easy task. A lot of information that can be found out there are conflicting and it is in human nature to become little bit skeptical.

The point I was making is that similar techniques are thought in what is now considered Western Reiki just with different name attached to it. And if it is already referred to as Western Reiki than having western terms attached to techniques also makes sense.

Unfortunately, I do not know the origin of the technique but you might be on to something here since my teacher was “yogi” and it might be add on. Now, I have to say that I did a lot of experiments of my own with reiki and a lot of it would be considered “unorthodox” but I would argue very useful. Let's for the moment say we have a weekly reiki evening with our students and some of them are concerned if distance reiki works. They just not confident it works. Now, we can keep talking as much as we want it wouldn't change much of the attitude.

If instead we put the student on other side of the room and perform this technique and than have them practice it-would this change their attitude. You bet! We also did some experiments with the ice cubes of the same size and one we would treat with distance reiki to see which would melt first...Anybody did this? What results you got? What also strikes me is that I notice that many (even RM) still draw symbols in the air while we were asked to draw it mentally.

To summarize, there are many different approaches to reiki and IMO they are just different but not necessary one better than the other. It depends to on practitioner where he/she feels at home.

Regards,

Resko
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:00 am

hi Resko Smile

Takata sensei taught about writing of symbols ( if drawing them in air is technically equal to writing them ? I m not sure either way)... Within treatments mentally drawing symbols 'may' equal to drwing them with hands, but within initiations, drawing by hand 'has not to be' replaced with drawing mentally, unless master has the intention of introducing a different style.

I have tried reiki on 'non-living' things like glasses of water placed in other room... I will pick one of them in mind for distant reiki, and would ask somebody to pick one of them back to me, and with eyes closed i will tell if it has been 'reikified' or not.... Conducting this experiment several times without a single fail, i testify that water can be charged distantly with reiki....

However, as my perception with reiki increased i found out that reiki is not meant for such magical entertainments Smile

Take care

Salman
    rzukic
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by rzukic Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:37 am

Thanks for sharing buddy!

I find it important to be able to mentally draw and hold symbols especially if we are to meditate on symbols. And again it depends which approach/ style one follows but I found it very useful not only to draw symbols in front of us but inside of us and to become a symbol. My favorite of course was “dissolve” my body and become DKM. Great experience!

At some time it would be highly inappropriate to draw symbols in the air “by hands”. I know this is again going to be “unorthodox” Very Happy and I am guilty as charged but it is great example. Let's say we are are out for business dinner and than two coworker get into argument. Useless “headbutting-contest”. People around you are uncomfortable. So, what do we do? Very Happy

How about if I stand up and start drawing SHK in the air? bounce affraid
    Well, I like to draw mentally SHK in between and what follows is...yeah ...I guess you could call it “Magic” they calm down and you hear: “I am sorry, I overreacted” and “ Oh, no..no. It is entirely my mistake, I shouldn't have made such insensitive joke.”

What SHK did is just to “take away an obstacle” that prevented them to see “other” point of view. As soon as they were able to see other point of view they understood that they were wrong.

Regards,

Resko
    Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:06 am

and to become a symbol.

You mean "to become the energy a particular symbol represents" ? Razz
    rzukic
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by rzukic Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:18 am

Frank wrote:
    and to become a symbol.

You mean "to become the energy a particular symbol represents" ? Razz

Right On Spot, Frank!

Thanks for clearing this up.. Very Happy

Regards,

Resko
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Different ways of using symbols. Empty Different ways of using symbols.

Post by Colin Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:09 am

rzukic wrote:Hi Collin,

I hope my post didn't come across as disrespectful in any way. As I said I appreciate and respect all efforts you guys putting in the research. This is by no means an easy task. A lot of information that can be found out there are conflicting and it is in human nature to become little bit skeptical.

Regards,

Resko

Not all all, Resko! Very Happy

An interesting thread!

Concerning your example of not standing up and drawing SHK in the air at a business dinner, this is the type of occasion when you could also draw SHK on the roof of your mouth and gentle breathe it out into the room on a cloud of Reiki! Smile

Or just use it mentally, as you suggested, of course! Smile
    renukakkar
    renukakkar

Post by renukakkar Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:35 pm

i used ckr and shk on my boss once. drawing with my tongue on the ridges of the top of my mouth and mentally also. he was in a bad mood and i found out. so i did not want to face his anger and stay back to finish someone elses work. it worked.

the symbols drawn on roof of the mouth and holding the breath and blowing on cuts and bruises heals them real fast. by evening you wont even see the anywhere.i did that to the cuts caused by a sharp knife on my fingers and the big scratch of my son's hand. had posted this in the reiki 4 all long time ago.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:49 pm

renukakkar wrote:i used ckr and shk on my boss once. drawing with my tongue on the ridges of the top of my mouth and mentally also. he was in a bad mood and i found out. so i did not want to face his anger and stay back to finish someone elses work. it worked.

the symbols drawn on roof of the mouth and holding the breath and blowing on cuts and bruises heals them real fast. by evening you wont even see the anywhere.i did that to the cuts caused by a sharp knife on my fingers and the big scratch of my son's hand. had posted this in the reiki 4 all long time ago.

Thanks for re-posting we have many
    folks who were not members of Reiki4
    so your old news is new news flower
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:49 am

hiya Frank,

Frank wrote:
    As far as I know, Usui-sensei didn't use an initiation ritual. He did use reiju, but this was given to students at every meeting between teacher and student.. and something given that regularly can't really be called an initiation ritual Razz

Just in the interest of accuracy, there's no concrete evidence he never, Smile. He may (or may not) have used Reiju at some point, though this doesn't mean he never tweaked what he was teaching himself.

So Gyōshi Hō is not used for an initiation ritual. And the reiju ritual I know makes no use of breathing.

What form of Reiju is that?

wamrest wishes
    Wayne
    Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:54 am

Milarepa wrote:Just in the interest of accuracy, there's no concrete evidence he never, Smile.

In that case there is also no real evidence he ever did use an initiation ritual (or reiju for that matter).

Looking at it that way, there is not even 'real' evidence Usui-sensei anything we regard as the Reiki-method.

Scepticism and criticism is good. Very good.
    But this goes too far for me.

Looking at everything that has been said about Reiki history, I do not believe Usui-sensei used a ritual to connect his students to anything (which would be an attunement).
    I believe Usui-sensei gave them a spiritual blessing in order to help them in their own pursuit of spiritual development (which would be Reiju).

Milarepa wrote:

Chris Marsh's
    The Reiju-giver does not breathe energy into the receiver, in this ritual.

*Gasshō*
    Frank
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:46 am

hi folks, i am naive in talks about reiju, but i have a question :

Is a spiritual blessing meant to be scheduled like 'usui would give reiju 'when' students would be meditating... I feel that during presence with Usui, his students would be receiving all the way, moment to moment... I mean, a blessing from a person like Usui does not have to be a scheduled event...

Jst my initial understanding though ! study

Salman
    rzukic
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by rzukic Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:59 am

Very good point Salman!

I am also very curious about reiju and have few questions about it myself. Hopefully somebody could put more light on this.

1.As Salman mentioned and considering that Dr. Usui was enlightened there is not doubt that who ever was in his presence would enjoy great benefits considering the quality of his aura. Now when it comes to Reiju was/is it one-on-one session or is it one-to-many type session or possible combination of both.
    2.If it is one-to-many model it would be greatly appreciated if somebody could put more light on this. How it differs from distance reiki treatment?

Regards,

Resko
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:18 am

Frank wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:Just in the interest of accuracy, there's no concrete evidence he never, Smile.

In that case there is also no real evidence he ever did use an initiation ritual (or reiju for that matter).

We know a memorial states someone called usui had a mystical exprience, and was able to somehow pass an experience on. else how could he have students.

What we have got is an initiatorial lineage, that stretches back to someone called chujiro Hayashi (and beyond, but we can stick with him for a sec). We know he existed. and we know he taught 'attunments'. cause we know that Fran Brown was told by Chiyoko Yamaguchi that the way she performed attunements was close to what hayashi taught also. Hayashi sensei credited this system he taught Takata, with the name Usui.

Frank wrote:
    Looking at it that way, there is not even 'real' evidence Usui-sensei anything we regard as the Reiki-method.

Scepticism and criticism is good. Very good.
    But this goes too far for me.

there's no criticism in anything i wrote Frank. i'm intelligent enough to not believe what a single unconfirmed course says however.

Frank wrote:
    Looking at everything that has been said about Reiki history, I do not believe Usui-sensei used a ritual to connect his students to anything (which would be an attunement).

Said by who? It's a small number of folks, less than a handful saying things, and everyone follows. Bit like lemmings. maybe they are right, my motivation for writing alomost anything on here, is that folks wait a sec, and go research themselves, properly. and not just believe blindly. Smile.

Milarepa wrote:
    Frank wrote:

Chris Marsh's
    The Reiju-giver does not breathe energy into the receiver, in this ritual.

*Gasshō*
    Frank

hiroshi had the first Reiju made public, which turned out to be his own creation largely. Since then, there's been many. none are more 'original' than another, imo.

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:02 am

rzukic wrote:
    1.As Salman mentioned and considering that Dr. Usui was enlightened there is not doubt that who ever was in his presence would enjoy great benefits considering the quality of his aura.

Definitely true.

rzukic wrote:Now when it comes to Reiju was/is it one-on-one session or is it one-to-many type session or possible combination of both.

Basically Reiju is meant one-on-one.
    However, once someone is able to correctly give Reiju he/she is also able to give it to a group at the same time. It is possible, yes.

rzukic wrote:2.If it is one-to-many model it would be greatly appreciated if somebody could put more light on this. How it differs from distance reiki treatment?

Reiju is different from a distance treatment or a hands-on treatment.
    This difference does not change when one gives it to more than one person.

Milarepa wrote:i'm intelligent enough to not believe what a single unconfirmed course says however.

[..]

maybe they are right, my motivation for writing alomost anything on here, is that folks wait a sec, and go research themselves, properly. and not just believe blindly.

I don't just believe it because some people said something. I don't just believe it blindly.

I am pretty critical when it comes to Reiki history myself.

The only reason I believe certain things is because it corresponds directly with my own experiences.

Buddha advised the following:

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.

And this is the way I treat what people say about Reiki and its origins.

Why do I believe in (most of) what is being taught as 'Japanese Reiki' and Usui Reiki Ryōhō ? Why do I believe my teacher? Why do I believe a friend of my teacher who is a student of Chris Marsh?

Because what they teach works.
    Because I experience the spiritual path and because I more and more see the logic behind all techniques and the other elements of what is taught.

Milarepa wrote:hiroshi had the first Reiju made public, which turned out to be his own creation largely.

I am aware of that.
    However, as I said, I am not talking about Doi's Reiju.

*Gasshō*
    Frank

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 7:48 am