Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Colin
Milarepa
6 posters

Passing of a Master..

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Passing of a Master.. Empty Passing of a Master..

Post by Milarepa Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:58 am

A few weeks ago, on January 12th, 2011, the longest practicing Reiki Master, John Harvey Gray, passed peacefully at his home.

John had an individual way of teaching, introducing some new aspects to Reiki training. Having developed the 'John Harvey Gray Center for Reiki Healing', John taught many thousands of Reiki students. Leaving a legacy that will surely endure.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Passing of a Master.. Empty Re: Passing of a Master..

Post by Colin Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:44 am

That is sad news, Wayne.

One less Reiki Master and one less repository of original Takata information.

It is a testament to Reiki and his practice of Reiki that he was able to carry on teaching and practicing Reiki right up until his death. A sad loss indeed.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:44 pm

Celebrating the Life and Legacy of John Harvey Gray
    April 10, 1917 to January 12, 2011
    John Harvey Gray, Reiki Master

The longest practicing Reiki Master Teacher in the West, John Harvey Gray passed away peacefully in his home in New Hampshire on January 12, 2011, three months prior to his 94th birthday. At his bedside, were his beloved wife, Dr. Lourdes Gray, his daughter-in-law Monika Gray, and his faithful Yellow Lab, Mickie.

John Harvey Gray is survived by his wife, Lineage Bearer and Reiki Master Teacher Dr. Lourdes Gray, who serves as the Director of the John Harvey Gray Center for Reiki Healing. He is also survived by a daughter, writer and producer Kathelin Gray, a son, woodworker John Gray, and a daughter-in-law, Heather Gray. Other survivors include a daughter-in-law, Reiki Master Teacher Monika Gray, two grandchildren, Jason Gray and Christina Gray Minutoli, and her husband, Joseph Minutoli. His first wife, the Rev. Beth Gray, preceded him in death. A private service has been planned.
    A Celebration of Life and Legacy

It is said that one's life is formed by the life situation, the opportunities that come, the choices made, and those people met along the way. In 1973, while living in Woodside, California and employed as a systems programmer at the Standford Research Institute, John Harvey Gray made a life-changing decision. Like a pilgrim knowing that he must journey, but not quite knowing the full significance of doing so ... John Harvey Gray chose the road less traveled. He intuitively began to journey on his soul path. His first step on this road was to enroll in Trancendental Meditation classes.

In June of 1974, at the Trinity Metaphysical Center in Redwood City, California, John Harvey Gray met the person who would alter his path forever ... Japanese-American Reiki Master from Hawaii Mrs. Hawayo Takata. For more than two years, he studied Reiki with Mrs. Takata in his home in Woodside. In October 1976, he became a Reiki Master. John Harvey Gray was the third person to be initiated as a Reiki Master by Mrs. Hawayo Takata.

After receiving his mastership in 1974, John Harvey Gray had three more experiences which he believed enriched his road to healing. In 1981 he began practicing Siddha Yoga at an ashram near Oakland, California. Later, in 1983, he spent time at the ashram of Swami Rama in Honesdale Pennsylvania, and later flew to Bangalore, India to take "darshan" or "sit in the presence" of Hindu holy man Sai Baba at his ashram in Puttaparthi. He believed that these three experiences "seem to tie together." He wrote, "In each place I came to a more peaceful way of healing."

In 1979, John Harvey Gray took his own mastery of Reiki on the road. By the time he had tired of traveling from state to state, he had held Reiki workshops in all but two states of the United States. John Harvey Gray also was the first person to introduce Reiki to the East Coast of the United States, including all of New England.

John Harvey Gray and his wife Dr. Lourdes Gray chose New Hampshire as their home. In 1996, they settled in the Monadnock Region near Lake Monomonac and Mount Monadnock.
    Over the Years Much Was Accomplished ...

In the 1980s John Harvey Gray founded and became the pastor of The Church of the Loving Servant which is dedicated to the healing of the body, the mind, and the spirit through Reiki. In 1994, Interface, the popular holistic health learning center then located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, voted John Harvey Gray Teacher of the Year.

In 1996, with his wife Dr. Lourdes Gray, he founded the John Harvey Gray Center for Reiki Healing for the purpose of maintaining the highest standards in excellence of Reiki training and commitment. Together, John Harvey Gray and Dr. Lourdes Gray have trained many thousands of students.

In 2002, they collaborated on the writing and publication of a book entitled Hand To Hand, a guide book offering both the beginner as well as the experienced Reiki Practitioner a solid foundation for the practice of Reiki. The book Hand To Hand is both practical and comprehensive in its scope for the study of Reiki. To learn more about the life of John Harvey Gray, click here to go to the chapter entitled "John's Road to Healing" in their book Hand To Hand.

In 2004, John Harvey Gray was awarded, by his students, a Lifetime Achievement Award "In grateful appreciation for 30 years of outstanding teaching, commitment to Reiki, and to your students." Several hundred students were in attendance at the ceremony.

In 2008, John Harvey Gray appointed Dr. Lourdes Gray his Lineage Bearer to carry on his legacy of excellence and commitment to the practice of, and the training of, Reiki. So it continues ...
    So It Continues ... a Message by Dr. Lourdes Gray

How do you say goodbye to your best friend, teacher, husband and soulmate? I do not say goodbye. In my heart he has not left me, nor has he left the hearts of his students. With his amazing kindness and compassion, his deep wisdom and his vast storehouse of knowledge of Reiki healing, John has touched the lives of many thousands of Reiki students who in turn pass on his wisdom and his teachings to countless numbers of others. John Harvey Gray's legacy will forever continue to pass from hand to hand, every time that we use our healing touch. His devotion to teaching Reiki was always evident; even in his last days ... healing others and Reiki were foremost on his mind and heart.

John and I have always shared a deep passion for bringing Reiki into the lives of our students. John has instilled in me the same values and concerns for his excellence in Reiki training and for the students he had trained. I promise you, this will not change. This will continue. Over the course of the past 12 years, John had gradually been transferring the teaching and administrative responsibilities to me. In 1996, John appointed me as the Director for the John Harvey Gray Center for Reiki Healing. In 2008, John officially appointed me as his sole successor and Reiki Lineage Bearer. Students will continue to receive the same high quality of excellence in Reiki training and support they have always received from both of us.
    A Year of Celebration ...

In honor of John Harvey Gray, the John Harvey Gray Center for Reiki Healing will host a year-long celebration of his life and his legacy. Through Reiki wellness clinics, talks, demonstrations, and other special events we will honor him. The first Reiki wellness clinic will take place next month, February 20th from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. at the John Harvey Gray Center for Reiki Healing, 9 Blake Street, Jaffrey, New Hampshire, 03452. Come join us to share and celebrate the life and the legacy of John Harvey Gray!

He chose the road less traveled ... and oh, the difference for us all!
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:33 pm

very sad indeed... John was sure a repository of teachings that could be traced to Takata Sesnsei without doubts.... whenever i watch his video in which he performs auric scanning and reiji ho of a client, and the energetic signature of his hands can be felt even in the video for an observer..

big loss...

May his soul rest in peace, and may his family bear the loss with courage

take care

salman
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Tue May 10, 2011 11:42 pm

why are people so sad when someone passes on ? death is a natural part of the cycle of life.....we will all be greeted by death's embrace at some point. Unless someone has a terrible passing or goes way to young, I dont feel sadness at the thought of their passing. I assume the expression of sadness here is about the loss of one man's skills at providing a service.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed May 11, 2011 12:35 am

I'm the same Sharon. The kids have been taught that death is cool. It our attachment to folks that creates this sorrow. Though, it's pretty hard to get this across, from when we are born, we are bombarded by how sad death is, via T.V. etc.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed May 11, 2011 12:54 am

Pachamama wrote:why are people so sad when someone passes on ? death is a natural part of the cycle of life.....we will all be greeted by death's embrace at some point. Unless someone has a terrible passing or goes way to young, I dont feel sadness at the thought of their passing. I assume the expression of sadness here is about the loss of one man's skills at providing a service.

The usual term is a person has "died" the
    term most used now is, passed on passed
    over, Etc; Some folks are "waked" in a
    somber manner & my own family experience
    was sadness/understanding the cycle of life.
    Accepting the cycle of life depends on what
    part of life's journey you are at. cheers

Today many folks are focusing on celebrating
    the life of the person who has passed on and
    also becoming more environmentally aware not
    to use embalming fluids that contaminate the
    soil. sunny
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Wed May 11, 2011 9:15 pm

when I pop me cloggs, the folk that know me better have one big party!! I don't want people being miserable ( forgotten how to spell that) and morbid, I want them to remember me in happiness and joy. I don't want folk wearing dark depressing colours either, bright colours, uplifting music, plenty o singing and dancing and booze!! ahaha they better send me off on my next adventure in style!!

There are more people and funeral services becoming aware of environmental issues now, there is a place in Yorkshire that does eco friendly funerals..a bloke my hubby knows had this service, he was sent off in a cardboard box! aahah well not quite a cardboard box but it was something of that ilk.

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu May 12, 2011 2:33 pm

Pachamama wrote:when I pop me cloggs, the folk that know me better have one big party!! I don't want people being miserable ( forgotten how to spell that) and morbid, I want them to remember me in happiness and joy. I don't want folk wearing dark depressing colours either, bright colours, uplifting music, plenty o singing and dancing and booze!! ahaha they better send me off on my next adventure in style!!

There are more people and funeral services becoming aware of environmental issues now, there is a place in Yorkshire that does eco friendly funerals..a bloke my hubby knows had this service, he was sent off in a cardboard box! aahah well not quite a cardboard box but it was something of that ilk.

That's exactly what I tell my family,
    party and enjoy that I was here to be
    part of your life. Passing of a Master.. 158903
    Passing of a Master.. 73993 Passing of a Master.. 134201 Passing of a Master.. 837313
    sunny Passing of a Master.. 850837
    queen of clean
    queen of clean

Post by queen of clean Thu May 12, 2011 8:11 pm

flower
    hello me again with a "personal experience"
    death of a loved one and the sadness that goes along with it is a complicated and very personal experience
    grief can take on alot of emotions
    guilt, fear, abandonment, relief!!, why me?, missing the companionship of the person that has died, his/her knowledge, his/her personality, accomplishments, unfinished business, unfinished works of art, literature etc. etc.
    death means far more to those left behind than those departed.
    i have a 78 year old client who still volunteers at a nursing home and believe me death is a daily occurence there!!!
    she often is asked to sit with a resident in the grey room (the dying room) as his/her time is about to come and she has told me it is one of the most peaceful times the person about to die has. they sometimes talk but mostly just hold her hand until they tighten their grip ever so slightly before they die
    and a lot of my elderly clients are not afraid of death, they hope of course that they go peacefully but most are looking forward to the rest!!!! (the elderly have a wicked sense of humour)
    i'm not afraid of death but i absolutely hate it when someone i love dies, i hate the lonliness and pain i inevitably feel an i would like not to have it happen but it does that's life!!!
    flower queen
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 pm

queen of clean wrote: flower
    hello me again with a "personal experience"
    death of a loved one and the sadness that goes along with it is a complicated and very personal experience
    grief can take on alot of emotions
    guilt, fear, abandonment, relief!!, why me?, missing the companionship of the person that has died, his/her knowledge, his/her personality, accomplishments, unfinished business, unfinished works of art, literature etc. etc.
    death means far more to those left behind than those departed.
    i have a 78 year old client who still volunteers at a nursing home and believe me death is a daily occurence there!!!
    she often is asked to sit with a resident in the grey room (the dying room) as his/her time is about to come and she has told me it is one of the most peaceful times the person about to die has. they sometimes talk but mostly just hold her hand until they tighten their grip ever so slightly before they die
    and a lot of my elderly clients are not afraid of death, they hope of course that they go peacefully but most are looking forward to the rest!!!! (the elderly have a wicked sense of humour)
    i'm not afraid of death but i absolutely hate it when someone i love dies, i hate the lonliness and pain i inevitably feel an i would like not to have it happen but it does that's life!!!
    flower queen

I was eleven when my mother died. I was present
    at her death. I remember after her burial saying
    nothing can ever hurt me again. Much water has
    gone under the bridge since then. While many family
    friends and pets have died since then,I have felt
    the loss. Greiving is important and celbrating the
    life of those who have passed is another level of
    the grieving process. Present day lore has changed
    the morbid tones when death comes. Passing of a Master.. 850837

If you go into an old cemetery and look at the
    carvings on the head stones and observe the changing
    carvings over the years,you'll notice how much softer
    and less scarey the "graveyards" have become sunny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 am