Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+4
Flamel
Thaak
chi_solas
Milarepa
8 posters

A Master?

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

A Master? Empty A Master?

Post by Milarepa Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:48 am

Hiya,
    This topic is similar to another one in the forum atm. The subject is very, very topical, but also very, very important. So i thought it best i highlight it by placing it as a topic in it's own right. Besides, i won't put this in the topic that is to do with Dan's, as my views here are not innuendo, or in any way related to Dan's views, but are aimed at the mainstream mindset.

Thanks to Ezri, the forum has an indication that the Japanese Navy (at the time Hayashi sensei would've been involved) would have taught the officers English.

With Hayashi sensei also signing his name in English (in the notary certificate of Takata sensei), in western format, and with flowing joined handwriting, one could be forgave for now thinking Hayashi sensei was a dab hand (pun intended) at understanding english, and writing it.

So, with indications that Hayashi sensei would have understood english, he obviously has no problem referring to himself as a 'Master' of the Usui System of Drugless Healing. And furthermore, refers to Takata sensei as a 'Master', i wonder just where the heck the logic is coming from it's somehow inappropriate or we should at least dis-courage, to refer to ourselves as a Master. It would seem there's not much, we western practitioners do right. Or is that really the case?

Warmest wishes

Wayne Harrison

Reiki Master
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

A Master? Empty Re: A Master?

Post by chi_solas Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:29 pm

We do get hung up on that word
    it seems to have a negative tone
    in the Reiki world.

I still use RMT it on my brochures. A Master? 850837
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:49 am

It is really ironic isn't it?

On one hand, it has been said that the levels and titles were created as Westerners needed a sense of advancement or they'd get bored and give up on it. This sentiment has also been used for why we have any or so many colored belts in martial arts.

And then all of a sudden, with the use of these titles, we have the prevailing attitude that it is pretentious. Especially since one can become a "Master" without doing anything more than showing up for a weekend or even a single day seminar. Heck, some folks get an attunement and nothing else.

But in my mind, I try not to place any judgment on the use of the term. I look, as far as I can, into the body of work the person has created, and make a determination as to whether I would want that "master" working on, or teaching me.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:14 am

For sure Andy, seems we can do damn all right, hehe. Sometimes a while ago, i'd say 'Reiki teacher' when refering to myself, sometimes i say 'master'. It doesn't make me feel important. Actually scratch that, it does. When i done the master level i was knew i was dedicating my life to Reiki, so the term carries that importance with me.

It doesn't make me feel anymore important than say, a level 2 for instance. In fact, sharon (shakti) who's level 2 actually taught me something very valuable re: protection, in Reiki4all, which i've always publicly thanked, and i was actually level 3b then, hehe. yeah titles mean damn all really, a 25 year level 2 practitioner who used Reiki constantly, or a new weekend 3 level student, i know which one i'd go to for advice.

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Flamel

Post by Flamel Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:41 am

I'm agree with you.
    I don't know the situation of your counties, but here there are not so much reiki masters and for this reasons is very hard not say to yourself "hey i'm better than other 'cause i'm a masters" in fact is easyer. But i think that reiki is not a path for pride, and levels are not as medals for general. i consider to be a master as an intenction for life, as if i say: ok, i want to teach reiki, i want to follow this path with my "student", me and them, together.
    To be a master, for me, is not at all "to be superior" to other, but means that i promised to myself to help everyone asked me help, to teach to every one asked me for teaching. My master (my father) always said me "mastery is service" and "to be a master means to be a servant" and i think that that sentences are very good to explain what i want to do.

Going on i thing that be a master is the end of the reiki path, but better the beginning with a new consciousness. So i'm always happy learn something new, even if the teacher is a level 1 or a level 2 (or why not, someone who as no reiki but very spiritually evolved).

[how much is difficult posting in english??? I have to pratice it so please forgive me.. ]
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:47 am

you are making good sense in what you write Flannel, Smile
    MattiT
    MattiT

Post by MattiT Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:12 am

Milarepa wrote:yeah titles mean damn all really, a 25 year level 2 practitioner who used Reiki constantly, or a new weekend 3 level student, i know which one i'd go to for advice.

Exactly. In my opinion, that's the main problem with the Master title. I think we all agree there is no doubt that Hayashi was a Master, and also Takata had years of practice and training behind her at the point Hayashi granted her the Master's certificate, but now we have students who spend three weekends sitting in a classroom and hey presto! they are Masters.

I've had Master level training from two teachers and keep searching for more information, and although I sometimes refer to myself as Reiki Master (for the convenience of the listener) I still feel uncomfortable doing that.

To me, being a Master means wisdom and knowledge gained through many years of work. I wish to accomplish that level some day, but that day has not yet come.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:49 am

MattiT wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:yeah titles mean damn all really, a 25 year level 2 practitioner who used Reiki constantly, or a new weekend 3 level student, i know which one i'd go to for advice.

Exactly. In my opinion, that's the main problem with the Master title. I think we all agree there is no doubt that Hayashi was a Master, and also Takata had years of practice and training behind her at the point Hayashi granted her the Master's certificate, but now we have students who spend three weekends sitting in a classroom and hey presto! they are Masters.

I've had Master level training from two teachers and keep searching for more information, and although I sometimes refer to myself as Reiki Master (for the convenience of the listener) I still feel uncomfortable doing that.

To me, being a Master means wisdom and knowledge gained through many years of work. I wish to accomplish that level some day, but that day has not yet come.

I am still searching for knowledge.
    Even masters are life long learners.
    Just when you think you know it, old
    unfound information keeps showing up.
    study
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:51 am

Milarepa wrote:
    So, with indications that Hayashi sensei would have understood english, he obviously has no problem referring to himself as a 'Master' of the Usui System of Drugless Healing. And furthermore, refers to Takata sensei as a 'Master', i wonder just where the heck the logic is coming from it's somehow inappropriate or we should at least dis-courage, to refer to ourselves as a Master. It would seem there's not much, we western practitioners do right. Or is that really the case?

probably, that logic is coming as a reaction to the prevailing weekend mastership sessions affraid

when we dont realize how precious gift we are conferring to others when we initiate them to Masters' level, such reactions are normal to assume and to expect!

i wonder on masters who place ads on websites saying that they attune to mastership within one session or within a consecutive sessions spanning two or three days(or weekends).. when people start giving masterships like railway tickets, what else w would expect but the start of an equal reaction on the use of the term "Master"!

i think, that instead of doing away with the use of term Master, we should build high repute around that term with our personal conduct... the term Master is not just a pride-tag, it has a substance! an ability! a big endowment!

if we are so easily convinced to drop the title 'master' from our names simply since there are nth million of masters now, or simply there are some 'masters' who dont bother how to carry out that title, then we should think are we just dropping the title or we are also dropping the importance of too ?????

unless we give importance to the tag "master", what driving force would be left for us to take care of whom to award mastership and to whom not ??

Smile

salman

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:51 am

Lambs-Wool wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:

probably, that logic is coming as a reaction to the prevailing weekend mastership sessions affraid

when we dont realize how precious gift we are conferring to others when we initiate them to Masters' level, such reactions are normal to assume and to expect!

i wonder on masters who place ads on websites saying that they attune to mastership within one session or within a consecutive sessions spanning two or three days(or weekends).. when people start giving masterships like railway tickets, what else w would expect but the start of an equal reaction on the use of the term "Master"!

i think, that instead of doing away with the use of term Master, we should build high repute around that term with our personal conduct... the term Master is not just a pride-tag, it has a substance! an ability! a big endowment!

if we are so easily convinced to drop the title 'master' from our names simply since there are nth million of masters now, or simply there are some 'masters' who dont bother how to carry out that title, then we should think are we just dropping the title or we are also dropping the importance of too ?????

unless we give importance to the tag "master", what driving force would be left for us to take care of whom to award mastership and to whom not ??

Smile

salman

I remember Reikijim mentioned that
    his teacher required much confirmed
    Reiki treatments before moving to
    another level. I know it was more
    ridget than what I had to do. I'm
    aware of the value of doing this.
    it makes sense to me.

. sunny
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:10 am

chi_solas wrote:

it makes sense to me.

. sunny

Yes, I have had to provide evidence of giving a minimum of 120 hours of Jikiden Reiki treatments on at least 40 different people, 4 case studies and an essay on why I would like to become a Shihan Kaku (Assistant Teacher) before I could be considered as a possible student on the course which I am taking next week direcly with Tadao Yamaguchi! Very Happy
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:54 am

Colin wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

it makes sense to me.

. sunny

Yes, I have had to provide evidence of giving a minimum of 120 hours of Jikiden Reiki treatments on at least 40 different people, 4 case studies and an essay on why I would like to become a Shihan Kaku (Assistant Teacher) before I could be considered as a possible student on the course which I am taking next week direcly with Tadao Yamaguchi! Very Happy

I'm impressed Cool
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:36 pm

Bravo ! Colin all the best Smile!
    vijaybali
    vijaybali

Post by vijaybali Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:26 pm

hai friends,

true Master means who has control body and mind and soul.

vj

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:35 am