Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+5
Bruce
Colin
Pandora
Thaak
Milarepa
9 posters

Can Reiki be sent to the past or future?

Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Can Reiki be sent to the past or future? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Reiki be sent to the past or future?

Post by Rlei_ki Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:38 am

"Can Reiki be sent to the past or the future?"

Milarepa wrote:'Sending Reiki to the past'. The past doesn't exist...

While the discussion as to whether or not the 'past' and/or the 'future' co-exist with the 'present' is an interesting one, I feel perhaps the initial question should simply be:
    "Can Reiki be sent."
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Can Reiki be sent to the past or future? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Reiki be sent to the past or future?

Post by Milarepa Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:48 am

Can Reiki be sent to the past or future? - Page 2 396901 . Hehe, i did broach that in 'Quantum Mechanics & Reiki' a bit. Now that you mention it, personally, it brings up even more issues, for me anyhow.
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:50 am

If we look for a moment (!) at the Newtonian principle of cause and effect. There is a link between a causal action and its effect, and this link is through time.

Now we know every cell in our body replicates itself so that, for example, our skin today is not made up of the same cells as it was last week or last month. However, it is still our skin, and this skin covers our bodies as it has done since before we were born: it will also do so until the processes of death cause its disintegration. So there is a very real sense in which we are our past. You tell someone who has just broken his leg that it was broken five minutes ago, or last week: it's just that he hadn't experienced it yet! I'm pretty sure you wouldn't appreciate his reaction! In the future, the scar on his leg (and in his leg) will exist in the "now" for that man, as a result of something that happened one "now" some time before. OK so it may not be possible to go back and remove the break: but it may be possible to heal the emotional baggage that the break carries along with it.

I keep going back to the advert for an optician's, which consist of a man walking through a wood, while a series of polaroids drop from his face onto the ground. It's about seeing things through your eyes I think. Well this is relevant because the "now" we experience can be thought of as a series of polaroids. So what is the connection between each "now"? For there is one - unless the theories of cause and effect are wrong!

Bodyworkers, such as massage therapists, are familiar with the phenomenon of muscle memory, where memories and feelings, once repressed, are carried in parts of the body. This explains why sometimes massage brings out repressed memories and feelings. If these repressed memories and feelings can be acknowledged, dealt with, and healed - then in a real sense we are healing the past.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:13 am

Pandora wrote: If these repressed memories and feelings can be acknowledged, dealt with, and healed - then in a real sense we are healing the past.

Or are we simply healing the Present of the effects of a memory formed in the past?.

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:27 am

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for getting back, Smile .

Pandora wrote:If we look for a moment (!) at the Newtonian principle of cause and effect. There is a link between a causal action and its effect, and this link is through time.

As i've showed in my last response to you, the link you're talking about is more properly termed as 'change'. 'Change' is what 'time' actually is, Smile .

It's true, that change/time is a link between cause & effect. It's not true that the link is past & present. I'll explain. when something enters into 'cause' it can only enter into 'cause' truely 'now'. Our mind may see this as 'past', but that's our mind making sense of it, and it what 'psychological time' is. In reality, an event can only ever happen 'now'.

Likewise for the 'effect'. The effect may have already happened, in which case it was an earlier 'now', or, it might yet happen. In which case there still is no 'effect', but we might assume probability wise there may be.

Pandora wrote:
    Now we know every cell in our body replicates itself so that, for example, our skin today is not made up of the same cells as it was last week or last month. However, it is still our skin, and this skin covers our bodies as it has done since before we were born: it will also do so until the processes of death cause its disintegration. So there is a very real sense in which we are our past. You tell someone who has just broken his leg that it was broken five minutes ago, or last week: it's just that he hadn't experienced it yet! I'm pretty sure you wouldn't appreciate his reaction! In the future, the scar on his leg (and in his leg) will exist in the "now" for that man, as a result of something that happened one "now" some time before. OK so it may not be possible to go back and remove the break: but it may be possible to heal the emotional baggage that the break carries along with it.

What you're saying is true. When we call it our 'past', it's our 'psychological past' we're speaking of. It's not a true reality, it's only a construct of our mind, that we ourselves have created to make sense of things. Like i suggested before, i don't feel there's an enternal Chris typing that letter 'h' somewhere, always to be accessed. The amount of space needed to hold all things that have happened for enternity, is mind blowing for starters. And really needs adherence to the multi-universe theories. Which i'm not saying is wrong, hehe, but i'm suggesting that needs to be accepted also, to be able to hold such information.

Pandora wrote:
    I keep going back to the advert for an optician's, which consist of a man walking through a wood, while a series of polaroids drop from his face onto the ground. It's about seeing things through your eyes I think. Well this is relevant because the "now" we experience can be thought of as a series of polaroids. So what is the connection between each "now"? For there is one - unless the theories of cause and effect are wrong!

I see 'cause & effect' in a different way just, Smile .

Pandora wrote:
    Bodyworkers, such as massage therapists, are familiar with the phenomenon of muscle memory, where memories and feelings, once repressed, are carried in parts of the body. This explains why sometimes massage brings out repressed memories and feelings. If these repressed memories and feelings can be acknowledged, dealt with, and healed - then in a real sense we are healing the past.

Yes, i can appreciate what you're saying here, Smile . Really though, if a massage therapist is performing massage on me now, for an injury i recieved years ago, they're working with the remnants of that injury now, and are treating me now. Literally, this is what's happening.

For me, i find it easy (for my own benefit) to explain things such as emotionally healing oneself now, for a past event. I firmly feel, Reiki doesn't change a past event. Andy's input gave me pause for thought last night, and i've thought about it a lot. It gives me more questions though, in that, would the trained ambulance men really diagnose wrong, and then the emergency staff at hospital. I see all the time on US telly whole shows that centre around such miracles. I watch Zonereality on sattelite a lot, hehe. I find it kinda sensational in itself, that this kinda thing would be ignored, when i see virtually daily, US doctors/police, etc, on sattelite telly showing us that miracles happen. I wouldn't be so arrogant as to say Andy's friend must be mistaken, as i'm in no position to judge that. I feel though it's a possiblity.

I also feel, that if the 'past' was able to be changed in such a way as can be suggested, as in completely reversing injuries, that this kinda quite brialliant miraculous stuff would be more commonly known within Reiki. After all, most of us have HSZSN from level 2, and some from earlier, hehe.

Last, but not least, hehe. I do doubt, that even if one wanted to, that HSZSN could be used for such a thing. It's gave to us by Usui sensei as a phrase reminding us of a call to mindfullness. I feel that Usui sensei, with his abilities, certainly may have empowered at least some of our 4 symbols, HSZSN being one perhaps. I don't feel we ourselves have made them what they are. Although our influence might not be ultimately ignored i know.

We may ignore, or not realise what certain symbols really do, and the way they do it, this doesn't stop them from being able to do, or not do, what they were intended to, neccessarily. For that reason also, it's as if we're using HSZSN for the exact opposite reason. Smile .

Thanks for sharing your views Chris, you've gave me plenty to think about, and i appreciate that! Smile .

Take care
    Wayne
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:13 am

I don't think change is the same as time. If a rock was not acted on by anything, it would not change over time.

By the way, I too enjoy thinking aloud like this!
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:14 am

Pandora wrote:I don't think change is the same as time. If a rock was not acted on by anything, it would not change over time.

We can't measure 'time', as in physical time. when we measure a metre, we know it starts here, and ends here. We come into problems when we try to say, ok, physcially, an hour starts here, and it ends here. Just what exaclty is a watch masureing? Physicists have been looking at something as simple as this. I say simple, but, hehe, when one thinks about it, just where is a second, or an hour? The reason why physical time is so important, is because 'time' is the 4th dimension. 'space' has 3 dimensions, and 'time' one. together they've helped explain many theroetical phycisists problems.

This is easily broached when we look at what physical time actually is. It's change in something. You 20 years ago, and you now, is change. This is really what's being measured, Smile .

A rock can change over time, just not as openely noticeable in our own lifetime perhaps. This is why we can try to theorise about vast things like how old the planet is, or the galaxy, or the universe. We measure change, and use algorithims to assume how long it takes for those changes to occur. giving us an estimate of change, i.e time.

This is my understanding of it, i could be mistaken of course, Smile .

Pandora wrote:
    By the way, I too enjoy thinking aloud like this!

Totally agree! i've found, especially when i'm having a pretty deep conversation with someone who knows their own view well, that it's always helped me immensely in my own view. I remember having a discussion with a lot of folks on Reiki4All, and we were alos talking about 'time' and it's use within Reiki. At that time (hehe) my own view was more fresh, and i had my opinion largely from Eckhart Tolle. During the kinda mammoth discussion we all had, the more i read what folks where saying, and the more i kept going over Eckharts' stuff, i suddenly had a really liberating expereince about the concept of time. It's other folks taking the time to talk with me that was a catalyst for that.

And although i havn't had another expereince like that here, i'm still indebted to you for your time, so thanks for that, Smile .

Take care
    Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:01 am

You can measure time Wayne.

Lets forget for a moment about existentialism and quantum physics. Lets forget for a moment about 3D or 4D.

If you have point A and point B with a measurable distance between them. Then you can measure time by how long it takes you to get between the two places. The earliest ways to measure time was based on how long the light of a celestial body took to cross between two points. Whether that was with a sun dial, hands-breadths of space above horizon, or differences of distance from a relatively fixed celestial position.

the d = v/t is the most simple equation to determine this.

So lets for instance assume we don't have the terminology of minutes or hours. We can still measure how long it takes for the sun to move its shadow on a sun dial. If I were to walk from point A to point B and the shadow of the sun dial spike moves 30 degrees, then I've walked approximately 1/12th of the day. So even not having terms like Minute and Hour, I can still say that, time wise, it took me 30 degrees to move X distance.

Now I'll agree, measurement of time is a construct to help us understand why we can't move from point A to point B instantaneously. Why there are cycles of change that happen all around us from the day/night change to the seasonal changes we all experience. But it is a construct that is helpful for organizational purposes.

Since consensual reality works with time, then time exists. Why? Because the collective human consciousness says it does. Belief is a very powerful thing. We, as a collective sentience, says something exists and lives by that rule, therefor it exists.

In my shamanic training, we are learning to "step outside of time." Eventually to live there. But even if you live outside of time, you still have to live within the rules of the collective. "Living in the world, but not of the world."

So lets try not to be too cutesy on our philosophy here. Regardless of what philosophers, psychologists, and physicists say to explain what time really is, the bottom line is, consensual reality determines what time is, because that is the rule we currently live by.

Furthermore, whether we "send" Reiki, or just sit with our own divinity, or whatever you want to say to describe what a Reiki session really is. Or whether you define time as a linear progression of events, as the surface of a sphere with all points easily accessible if you know how, as a construct to help our ego stay sane, as the 4th dimension, as simply our recognition of change, as a memory of a past now... whatever.

Does it really matter?

Reiki can help assuage things that are not in our current now.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:16 am

Thaak wrote:You can measure time Wayne.

Lets forget for a moment about existentialism and quantum physics. Lets forget for a moment about 3D or 4D.

If you have point A and point B with a measurable distance between them. Then you can measure time by how long it takes you to get between the two places. The earliest ways to measure time was based on how long the light of a celestial body took to cross between two points. Whether that was with a sun dial, hands-breadths of space above horizon, or differences of distance from a relatively fixed celestial position.

the d = v/t is the most simple equation to determine this.

Ok. You say to forget about 3d (space) and 4d (space/time or time), yet you give an equation that is about distance within space (3d), and use time (4d) in an equation. scratch

As you've already spoke 'broke' that yourself, i'll carry on speaking in multiple points, Very Happy .

your example is about distance, and the change that happens between two points in space. Moving from point 'a' to point 'b' is a change within space, this is what time is accurately. It's the 'change' that can be measured. See 'd=' this is distance. equals 'v/t' , velocity/time. It's not an equation for time, but for motion Andy. It is in fact the precise equation to support my thinking. Don't take my word for it, scroll down to the scientific paper in which that very equation is used.

Thaak wrote:
    So lets for instance assume we don't have the terminology of minutes or hours. We can still measure how long it takes for the sun to move its shadow on a sun dial. If I were to walk from point A to point B and the shadow of the sun dial spike moves 30 degrees, then I've walked approximately 1/12th of the day. So even not having terms like Minute and Hour, I can still say that, time wise, it took me 30 degrees to move X distance.

This isn't correct. What is being measured is movement. Movement is change, in the sky. This is what time truely is. I don't think you'll believe me, so i'll share another scientific paper here, i hope if you don't believe me, you'll at least beleive a scientist, since it's his field your giving equations in...

Time is a Measure of Motion
    Amrit Srecko Sorli
    sorli.bistra@gmail.com
    Scientific Research Centre BISTRA, Ptuj
    Slovenia

Abstract
    On the base of elementary perception (sight) we see that stellar objects move in
    space and that time exists only as a measure of motion. With clocks one measures duration
    and numerical order of this motion. Time is what is measured with clocks: duration and
    numerical order of motion of elementary particles and massive bodies in space. In the
    Theory of Relativity, time as the “fourth coordinate” describes motion of massive objects
    and elementary particles in space. In this sense the fourth time coordinate is the “coordinate
    of motion”. Time is a measure of motion in space carried out by clocks. Time is not a part of
    space. Space-time is not a physical reality into which material changes run. Space-time is a
    math model only, used describing the motion of objects in space where time is a coordinate
    of motion.

Introduction
    Time is what we measure with clocks: with clocks we measure duration
    and numerical order of motion of massive objects and elementary particles in
    space. There is no evidence that motion happens in time; we can only observe
    motion in space. To describe the position of two objects A and B in space, we
    need three coordinates X, Y and Z. To describe the motion from object A to
    object B, we need a fourth coordinate which is time “t”. With clocks we
    describe motion. For example, let us take the simplest equation:
    distance = speed x time.
    Time in this case means duration of motion. If speed is given, we can
    calculate the distance that an object or particle has done in space.
    In the Special Theory of Relativity, time as a “fourth” coordinate of
    space-time is a “coordinate of motion”, and describes the motion of massive
    bodies and particles in space. Fourth coordinate X4 = c x i x t is called the “time
    coordinate”, whereas c is light speed, i is an imaginary number and t is the
    number representing duration of material change. With “time coordinate” one
    describes motion of massive objects and particles in space. With clocks one
    measures the interval between material change X and material change X + n,
    where n represents the number of units of time. The smallest unit of time is
    Planck time; in Planck time, photons pass a Planck distance. Time is a measure
    of motion in space.

Source: http://www.fqxi.org/data/forum-attachments/Time_is_a_Measure_of_Motion_Sorli__2009.pdf

Thaak wrote:
    Since consensual reality works with time, then time exists. Why? Because the collective human consciousness says it does. Belief is a very powerful thing. We, as a collective sentience, says something exists and lives by that rule, therefor it exists.

Andy, i ascribe to the collective conscious thing. I'm also a realist. Belief is a powerful thing? Would you suggest them that 500 years ago the world really was flat? Cause the world population said it so? Or at 999 Ad the world really ended, cause most of Christendom thought so?

We as a collective 'sentience' may say something exists, and live by that rule, it hardly means it actually exists. And besides, i don't think i've said yet that time doesn't exist. As far as i'm aware i've used time in physics, and used the concept of psychological time, and said that 'time' is more accurately termed as change, as this is what science measures.

Thaak wrote:
    So lets try not to be too cutesy on our philosophy here.

I like this bit, hehe. Whom are you suggesting not to be 'too cutesy'? And why are you saying that?

Thaak wrote:
    Regardless of what philosophers, psychologists, and physicists say to explain what time really is, the bottom line is, consensual reality determines what time is, because that is the rule we currently live by.

'Regardless' of what all these minds, far greater than our own says?!

And yeah, we created 'time' to make sense of the universe, i've said that in previous posts. 'Consensual reality' doesn't dictate fully this existence. A chair keeps it's formation of being a chair, not becauise i expect it to. Before humans came, the atoms of trees kept in the form of trees it's fair to assume, not cause we expecteed it to. There's a more comprehnesive force that keeps order within reality, above our own ability. So although we may be dictacting quite a bit of reality, i'ts too much of an assumption to say we're dictating all.

Thaak wrote:
    Furthermore, whether we "send" Reiki, or just sit with our own divinity, or whatever you want to say to describe what a Reiki session really is. Or whether you define time as a linear progression of events, as the surface of a sphere with all points easily accessible if you know how, as a construct to help our ego stay sane, as the 4th dimension, as simply our recognition of change, as a memory of a past now... whatever.

Does it really matter?

Yeah it matters, hehe. This is a forum where people are free to talk about anything related to Reiki. The topics can go on for as long as anyone is involved. And, whatevers said helps the people involved in the topic, and also may help anyone who ever reads it. It's the sole reason why thr forum was created. Conversing is what people do on forums. So yeah, it matters a heck of a lot.

Thaak wrote:
    Reiki can help assuage things that are not in our current now.

'Assuage'. why just assuage? If Reiki can access the past how come it's not common knowledge within Reiki all the miracle things? Some kinda experiment that Bruce suggested would be excellant. I certainly doubt there'd be offers for that.

You help me out with something, Smile. I think you said a few weeks aog about how important mindfulness is. Let's say i was just starting my work with mindfulness, within Reiki. Can you explain to me how it would be useful to attempt to explain mindfullness to me, when it's being taught that HSZSN can change things in the past?

The very act of attempting to change things in the past is reinforcing that there's more than only now. If a person continues to place their mind in some kinda 'realities' other than now, ime, it greatly hampers living in the now. Which is what mindfullness is at it's basic.

thanks

Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:14 am

I'm still of a mind...

If I can sit with ULFE and/or my own divinity, using the Reiki Healing System, and help a situation that is not part of the current now...

Does it matter how we define it with psychology, physics, metaphysics?

Whether I am helping a residual emotional imprint that someone is hanging onto about an event that is not part of their current now (you could argue that it is part of their current now if they are hanging onto an imprint) or actually changing what happened yesterday...

Does it matter how we define it with psychology, physics, metaphysics?

Yes, it is very interesting to have this philosophical discussion. I truly enjoy it.

But when it all boils down to the nitty gritty... It doesn't matter how, why, or what.

All that matters is that the client has found some solace and that the process can be repeated.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:24 am

Without a doubt Andy, ultimately from a clients point of view, it may or may not matter either way.

Also, from a practitioners view, it may or may not matter either way.

although, hehe, if we use the adage 'does it matter either way', to things in Reiki, well heck, there's not much to talk about on a forum! Folks come to discuss, and although some may discuss things they maybe not care either way, some do like to explore, and know why any single process is happening. Some really like to learn as much as possible. It's really up to the client, the practitioner, and anyone reading or interacting in a conversation, indiviudally, they'll make their minds up. And that's cool, Smile.

Take care
    Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 am

Milarepa wrote:Without a doubt Andy, ultimately from a clients point of view, it may or may not matter either way.

Also, from a practitioners view, it may or may not matter either way.

although, hehe, if we use the adage 'does it matter either way', to things in Reiki, well heck, there's not much to talk about on a forum! Folks come to discuss, and although some may discuss things they maybe not care either way, some do like to explore, and know why any single process is happening. Some really like to learn as much as possible. It's really up to the client, the practitioner, and anyone reading or interacting in a conversation, indiviudally, they'll make their minds up. And that's cool, Smile.

Take care
    Wayne

Indeed, it is definitely fun to discuss these things. But I think that trying to define what his actually happening, rather than discussing the happening itself, takes energy away from the happening.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:29 am

Only speaking from personal experience, defining in mroe detail things in Reiki, has lead to my own relationship immeasurably deepening with the experience. Else why would a person find use out of it.

to define why something is happening of course leads to a greater understanding of what exactly is happening.

Edit: It'd be cool if you shared how you think talking about why it's happening takes something away from the experience. By 'energy', you mean the Reiki experience?
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:05 pm

Milarepa wrote:Only speaking from personal experience, defining in mroe detail things in Reiki, has lead to my own relationship immeasurably deepening with the experience. Else why would a person find use out of it.

to define why something is happening of course leads to a greater understanding of what exactly is happening.

Edit: It'd be cool if you shared how you think talking about why it's happening takes something away from the experience. By 'energy', you mean the Reiki experience?

See, this is what I was talking about. You guys go and take my philosophical points and challenge me to better explain them! I love it! Only makes me better understand my own belief paradigm.

In any case... in the Shamanic path I follow, one of the practices is to live without belief and without meaning. Not sure I quite get it yet... but that's part of the practice.

But in that, when you try to define the wherefore and whyfores, you end up working from your head, your logical brain.

Energy work, of all kinds, whether it be Reiki, QT, Qigong, Shamanic journeys, what have you, work best when you are working from the heart. When you work from the heart, there is no need to define it. You are existing in the moment, one with the experience, and to define it removes you from that moment.

Now yes, it can be extremely helpful to know how something works, or why it works... in the beginning. Because in seeking the definitions, you learn, and you start to believe. In the belief, you begin to sense the energy itself.

Once you move beyond the need for belief, you just know, in your heart, that this is the way it is, in this moment, in this being. Defining it is useless, because the you aren't being... you are doing.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:28 pm

What i've found, it that when i've studied aspects of Reiki, it's lead to a change in perception of what's going on. It's this change of perception that also changed the expereince. That's why, in my experience, the two aren't seperated.

This study is done before or after the practical experience of Reiki. during the practical experience, a person should, imo, practice mindfullness of what's happening, and of course, Reiki is compassion, so the heart is in play. During a treatment, of course, one shouldn't be concerned about whys/wherefores.

We all start from different places in spirituality. There's not one linear route. For me, the sensory experience of the 'energy' was the first step. Certainly not beyond a 'beginners', but the actual beginning for me.

For sure, it can be said when a person studies or looks deep into aspects of Reiki, that it can be 'doing'. That's to be encouraged if the practitioner finds value out if it.

For instance, i've been involved with shamanism just before Reiki, and have been a shaman's apprentice. I find no benefit personally, in cross-referencing it with Reiki. Or, say, Yoga, or even some of the Japanese things i've got into, like Kuji-in. You find it useful obviously to look to Shamanism for answers with Reiki,and that's great you have that. What this means is folks find different ways, and paths useful. In perosnal experiences in Reiki, what's useful for one, isn't for another, Smile. I'm really glad you shared your insight!

Take care
    Wayne
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Here's info, it's highly relevant to this topic as it speaks of the non-existence of time. As well as adressing that nothings moves, which is highly related to the idea of Reiki being 'sent' or 'flowing in/out'.

Physicists Who Know That Nothing Can Move in Spacetime

The amazing thing about the impossibility of motion in spacetime is not that it is true. The amazing thing is that it is a well known fact by many in the physics community. After a quick search on Google.com, I was able to compile the following list of quotes from practicing relativists and other physicists who know that nothing can move in spacetime. The list also contains a few names of real physicists I've had the pleasure of corresponding with over the years. I'll add to this page from time to time as more names come to my attention. Click on the links to go to the page from which I obtained the quotes. My comments are bracketed in blue.

Mark Stuckey

Elizabethtown College, Pennsylvania
    [I first found out that nothing moves in spacetime from a message posted by Professor Stuckey on the astronomy discussion board on AOL back in the early 90s. His post took the resident relativist there at the time completely by surprise, a sight to behold. If I remember correctly, the resident relativity expert (I can't remember his name) immediately began to argue against it and did not shut up until he demanded that Professor Stuckey provides his credentials which he did. It was fun to watch.]

Joe Rosen
    [Professor Joe Rosen is the retired former chair of the physics department at the University of Central Arkansas. Dr. Stuckey was the first to introduce me to Dr. Rosen's work. Dr. Rosen not only rejects the existence of a time dimension in which we are moving in one direction or the other, he also rejects the existence of space. He calls it nonspatiality and nontemporality. I completely agree with Dr. Rosen's views on these issues although we arrived at similar conclusions on space and time via different routes. Anyone interested in the nature of time should read his papers and essays. I especially recommend his "Time, c, and nonlocality: A glimpse beneath the surface?" Physics Essays, vol. 7. ]

Mark William Hopkins

"Nothing moves in spacetime."
    [I must caution the reader about Mr. Hopkins. Although he, like Dr. John Baez, professes to believe that nothing can move in spacetime, they nevertheless continue to believe in the existence of a time dimension along which exist infinitely many "nows" (Baez). Hopkins believes he exists in his entire world-line, i.e., an extremely long (time-wise) Mr. Hopkins. Some time dimension crackpots would rather deny the existence of a now than the existence of a time dimension even though there is not a single empirical evidence for the existence of such a dimension. All the while they fail to provide any explanation for how it is that we are moving along our world-lines, given that nothing can move in spacetime. It's like talking through both sides of one's mouth.]

FriedWardt Winterberg
    [Professor. Winterberg, a former student of Heisenberg, is a professor of physics at the State University of Nevada. He is widely known for his work in plasma physics and nuclear fusion. In 1979 he was the recipient of the Herrmann Oberth Gold Medal and in 1981 he received a citation from the Nevada legislature. Professor Winterberg recently wrote to me in support of my efforts.]

Matej Pavsic

"Of course, according to the special and general relativity as formulated in textbooks, nothing moves in spacetime."
    [Dr. Pavsic of the famous Jozef Stefan Institute in Slovenia once mailed me copies of his published papers (around 1997 I believe) after reading my arguments on the sci.physics usenet newsgroups (for which I was thoroughly flamed) regarding the impossibility of motion in spacetime and the necessity for four spatial dimensions rather three. I doubt that Dr. Pavsic reads usenet anymore. He also sent me a list of references (I'm looking for it) to the published papers of advanced relativistic quantum physicists who know that time is a mere parameter for expressing change. It is a pity this simple truth is not taught in most physics schools and colleges.]

Robert Geroch

"There is no dynamics within space-time itself: nothing ever moves therein; nothing happens; nothing changes."
    Dr. Robert Geroch is a professor of physics at the University of Chicago. He also taught at the Enrico Fermi Institute. The above excerpt was taken from General Relativity from A to B, (page 20)

Andrew G Williams

"You should know that, by definition, nothing moves in spacetime."

Chris Hillman

"Are you aware that nothing physical "moves" in spacetime?"

"Another is that if you transport a vector in a loop in spacetime (this is not a physical motion, since nothing physical ever moves in spacetime"

"In Newtonian physics, we can speak of small objects moving in "space" over "time". In spacetime, however, nothing physical "moves" at all! Rather, we represent the entire history of motion of each small object by a curve in spacetime, called the "world line".

[Chris Hillman is a mathematician. He (she?), too, knows that nothing can move in spacetime as seen in the quotes above. However, being a friend of John Baez (see below) and a staunch defender of spacetime physics he'll argue that there is nothing wrong with time travel. He agrees with Hawking and Thorne that a closed time-like curve means that relativity does not forbid time travel. Go figure! Try to explain to Hillman that, if nothing can move in spacetime, there cannot be such as thing as time travel and you'll quickly discover how prone to self-delusion a religious person can be.]

John Baez
    [Dr. Baez knows that nothing moves in spacetime (how could he not know?) but, if cornered, he'll beat around the bush and mumble something about the definition of motion. Rather than discard the time axis, Dr. Baez believes that there are an infinite number of nows. Of course, he fails to explain how one moves from one "now" to the next one so as to perceive motion. He'd be hard pressed to do so since nothing can move in spacetime. But Baez is full of contradictions. While he claims that spacetime is a changeless collection of nows, he nevertheless continues to talk about motion in spacetime, witness this excerpt from his own site:]

"So when you combine electrodynamics with general relativity, the geometry of spacetime doesn't just affect the motion of light through spacetime - it's also affected by the motion of light through spacetime! More generally, the curvature of spacetime affects the motion of matter, while matter curves spacetime."
    [This begs a couple of questions. How can something that is changeless affect anything and 2) How can something that is changeless be affected by anything? I've always found it hard to understand how someone can live with such blatant contradictions and still fool others into believing he has a clue. Note that Dr. Baez dreams of unifying General Relativity with Quantum Mechanics. We should all wish him a lot of luck because he's going to need it.]

Julian Barbour

"My ideas about time all developed from the realization that if nothing were to change we could not say that times passes. Change is primary, time, if it exists at all, is something we deduce from it."
    [Dr. Barbour not only knows that time is but an evolution parameter derived from change, he denies the existence of a time dimension in which we are moving in one direction or another. I recommend Dr. Barbour's book "The End of Time" to anyone interested in these issues. In my opinion, Dr. Barbour does not go far enough. I hope the title of his next book is "The End of Space and Time."
    Also check out his his other book "Absolute or Relative Motion" and A Talk With Julian Barbour.]

Source: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/louis.savain/Crackpots/physicists.htm
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:45 pm

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Pandora wrote:

What a bitter and twisted man.

About what? His views are his views. Though that's not what's important. It's the scientists whom are quoted that are of interest, Smile.

Nothing like a good dose of Hito ni shinsetsu ni for lunch, eh Chris? Laughing
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:43 am

I haven't read all your input yet Wayne, but I will soon. Just lots of stuff keeping me busy these days. Anyways, I'm currently reading a book called Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card. Its Sci-Fi, so take the following there for whatever that's worth:

In his book, he postulates that Time is linear, always has been, and always will. That it is a series of independent moments, one following directly after the other. That no moment touches the next.

Causality is not real, and is completely separate from time. This theory would allow someone to go back in time, make a change, which would completely cause the future to be non-existant, as the series of moments are now taken up by a different series of moments.

But this would not cause the person who went back in time to cease to exist, because Causality and Time are not the same thing.

Just found this an interesting idea that kinda pertained to this thread. Besides, Orson Scott Card wrote my favorite and 2nd favorite books of all time, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead, so I really enjoy his philosophy and the moral conundrums he puts his characters through.
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:57 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Pandora wrote:

What a bitter and twisted man.

About what? His views are his views. Though that's not what's important. It's the scientists whom are quoted that are of interest, Smile.

Nothing like a good dose of Hito ni shinsetsu ni for lunch, eh Chris? Laughing

I read the rest of his website, and he seems to take great delight in taking the "greats" of modern physics and doing a hatchet job on them just because they don't believe in what he does.

By the way, I have chips with mine...
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:25 am

Although i'm personally not interested in him, i know peers review stuff all the time in the science world, and support or refute it. There's many fringe scientists that refute many things, i guess it appears the way he does to you, since you're reading a collection of his opinions. One who goes against the common belief of which the majority hold, invariably is judged, labeled. For instance, last week i had to contact an doctor for a court case, whom is on the expert witness court panel. He's very well known in his field, but he holds some very individual views (which was why i need him). Cause he's so well known with his individual views, notwithstanding he's a world expert, courts & science will sometimes tend to automatically disagree with his findings. Kinda cause he's a voice in the wilderness, hehe, irrespective of what he says may be true. You get my point.

I know einstein went against newton for instance, when he came up with the idea time isn't an absolute. Going against 100's of years of entrenched thinking. So this kinda disagreement, if it generates discussion, might be good?

Take care
    Wayne
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:09 pm

As we find on this forum, there are ways of generating debate and discussion that don't involve name-calling or other pejorative lanuguage. I'm afraid I found his site using both of these.

If you'd like an example of a "maverick" scientist who doesn't indulge in this behaviour, may I sugest Rupert Sheldrake, who has had to put up with dog's abuse from the scientific establishment but responds in the calm, measured and objective manner you would expect from true scientists. www.sheldrake.org
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:25 am

Pandora wrote:As we find on this forum, there are ways of generating debate and discussion that don't involve name-calling or other pejorative lanuguage. I'm afraid I found his site using both of these.

If you'd like an example of a "maverick" scientist who doesn't indulge in this behaviour, may I sugest Rupert Sheldrake, who has had to put up with dog's abuse from the scientific establishment but responds in the calm, measured and objective manner you would expect from true scientists. www.sheldrake.org

Thanks Pandora, I got distracted with
    the homing pigeons when I have more time
    I'll continue to check more of sheldrake.
    Very interesting Basketball
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:50 pm

Milarepa wrote: There's many fringe scientists that refute many things, i guess it appears the way he does to you, since you're reading a collection of his opinions. One who goes against the common belief of which the majority hold, invariably is judged, labeled.
    Take care
    Wayne

Very Happy Now where would we be in our evolution and understanding, if we refused to entertain the odd heretic? Very Happy

Laughing RJ
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:15 am

i havn't read his whole site, cause it's not really important to me, Smile. The sceintists he quoted were. I know his use of words isn't solely his own, in the sceintific field. For example, 'voodoo science' is used by a number of scientists. He's not a scientist, btw, just someone with opinions.

Possibly interestingly, his attempts to tie the bible in with sceince aren't also that far-fetched! Deepka Chopra, in the dvd 'how to know god' also does this. Deepak says, about the book of Genesis, and this is quite remarkable, btw..

'In the beginning there was the word, and the word was God'. Deepak says, what is a word? It's a vibration. What is God? The creative force. So... In the beginning there was a vibration (which is moving so dynamic), and the dynamic vibration was the creative force (God). Which is what science says!

Also, when genesis says about the heavens being made first, then the earth, i find that higbhly significant. wrote in a time when the earth was meant to be the centre of all things, genesis actually went agianst that, and has wrote the order in which science agrees, and some many 1000's of years earlier.

Deepak mentions this also, it's really quite mind-blowing i feel. Really, how would folks many 1000's of years ago explain creation? It could be suggested they explained in in part-truth/part-metaphor in a most excelant way!

Take care
    Wayne

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:44 am