Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+11
Crystal
Bruce
chi_solas
Pandora
Colin
Reikijim
Rlei_ki
thehungrycaterpillar
Dragonfly
Milarepa
Thaak
15 posters

Reports of Reiki causing harm

Reikijim
    Reikijim

Reports of Reiki causing harm - Page 2 Empty Re: Reports of Reiki causing harm

Post by Reikijim Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:46 am

Bruce wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:I went to a weekend conference
    at a Buddhist center where Jon Kabat Zinn
    was the speaker. [. . . .]
    His point was it didn't matter
    how many years you've been practicing,he said some
    thing like this ... we were all at the same level
    cause when meditating the mind will always interupt
    us & we continue to chase thoughts.

It's a nice statement. But in fact, experience makes changes which affects level. This was relatively recently confirmed by study comparing brainwaves of Tibetan Buddhist monks with brainwaves of the general population. Regular practice of intensive meditation had very noticeable and enduring effects. (Now, if someone "sort of" meditated over a period of 30 years, that would be a different matter. Such a practitioner might get "sort of" some results.)

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I see the intent in the information you`ve offered. Generally speaking, i`m sure it`s true... Yet, people have varying traits and abilities in all things. Some hit the ground running, some run with the pack...
    Smile RJ
    o0wabi-sabi0o
    o0wabi-sabi0o

Post by o0wabi-sabi0o Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:02 am

Heh, this is such a loaded question.

I was taught that "Reiki does no harm" etc. etc. like many others. Through practice and personal research I believe this to be nothing but a myth and ironically a rather harmful one.

To begin with, "harm" is subjective and so this poses problems right off the bat. Reiki is UNIVERSAL Life Force Energy, the energy inherent in EVERYTHING in our Universe. It's arrogant to assume it works for OUR Highest Good, or should I say, what we BELIEVE to be for our Highest Good - no, it works for the Highest Good of the UNIVERSE. Now from my point of view, this is the Highest Good of absolutely everything, including ourselves, but the problem is that some people may not agree. That's their prerogative, and I why I feel it's important for us as practioners to understand this so that we can inform our clients.

For example, I so often see requests to send Reiki to a dying loved one... even going so far as to request that we heal them and save them from death. Death is a natural part of the cycle of life, it is necessary. We cannot remove the necessity of death through Reiki. At a point Reiki becomes a means of comfort in the time of death, a means of pain relief, a means of helping someone come to terms with their life and death and finding meaning to it and acceptance, and even an ACCELERATOR to this natural process should the person request it.

Many people treat the dying with Reiki without understanding this, and even try to miraculously heal them... this is not helpful to anyone, and is not fair to the uninformed client. Really, it's not fair to the uninformed practioner, either. From a Universal perspective, this is not harmful, but to the individual who didn't understand that there weren't going to be healed, and continued to deny their death rather than find closure prior to it, and who perhaps even had the process sped up through Reiki, they might see it otherwise.

Since ULFE sees no bias and all things are equal, what then happens when we have, say, a bacterial infection. Most people wouldn't even consider this... it's bacteria, non-living, a disease... but in reality they are living beings with their own place in the Universe and it is only our innate arrogance, our sense of superiority, that causes us to overlook this important reality. What if it's for the Highest Good that Reiki favour the bacteria?

So I suppose I agree that Reiki does not harm if we understand that this statement is made in the Universal sense. But since so many are uninformed it DOES cause harm. Arguing over whether it's Reiki or the practioner or whatever is just pointless, it will go on forever... if Reiki treatment results in a healing crisis and the client was not properly informed of this possibility beforehand, then from that person's perspective, it certainly did cause harm. From yours or mine, it was an irresponsible/uninformed practioner that caused it. Again, it's subjective and our perspective is no more "right" than that recipient's perspective.

I don't believe Reiki is an "intelligent energy" in that sense that it "goes where needed" no matter what. Our intent IS very important. I feel that methods such as Kundalini Reiki work because the intent is that it flow freely through the entire body to where it's needed. In Usui Reiki, though, there's a reason the hand positions have always been around, a reason he suggested treating specific areas for certain diseases, and a reason why he taught methods such as hand mudras for concentrating and directing the energy. We need to take responsibility for what we do. Since we CAN direct Reiki, I don't believe it's necessary, for example, that we speed of the natural process of death when it becomes inevitable - we do need to take responsibility as practioners, listen to our clients, understand Reiki and work with what we have. If a client simply wants pain relief during this time then that is what we can give them. If it is meant to be their time, we can't change that. But if the body is meant to heal, we can aid in that.

TL;DR. lol!

Last edited by o0wabi-sabi0o on Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:09 am

First post, and an excellant one! I like you already!

For sure, there's a contradiction in concepts, when one says Reiki is ULFE, and thinks it'll be some catalyst to kill the millions of living organisms of a common cold, for instance. In our fascination with ourselves, somehow we've assumed we are the most important aspect of the universe. How else could we harness ULFE to kill others, hehe.

It made mcuh more sense (for me), to explore, and realise, that Reiki is the outward manifestation of my divine spark. Since it's my divine spark, it clearly makes more sense why Reiki can be a catalyst to help me become healthy, at the expense of other life-forms.

BTW, gonna nominate you for this months prize!

Take care
    Wayne
    o0wabi-sabi0o
    o0wabi-sabi0o

Post by o0wabi-sabi0o Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:39 am

Hi there and thank you for bothering to read my post. lol!

And thank you for the nomination. Very Happy

To be honest this is the only Reiki forum I've found that is willing to challenge dogma and it's a breath of fresh air. I've personally learned many invaluable things through members' writings here. Glad to have found ye. bounce
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:58 pm

Thankyou for those words of appreciation for the forum. The forum was born out of the need to attempt to be a real place of learning. Whilst trying to be mindfull to make it a comfortable environment in which all views can be aired, irrespective of how unpolular it may be, hehe.

We've got a broad range of expressions, with some willing to engage in deep debate. Others, are at home watching it all be 'slugged out'. We keep it respectful, hold no grudges (we're all learning off one another), and next topic along, are as close as ever. I hope this makes us really unique here, Smile.

Take care
    Wayne
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:20 pm

Ok here's a question for you - Wayne please feel free to give it its own topic if you think it needs it.

Does the sentence "Reiki can do no harm" mean the same as "Reiki can only do good"?

For what it's worth, I prefer to use the second sentence.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Oh, i like this chris! Philosophical chat's on a Sunday morning is real cool! Walking up to this is great stuff, thankyou! Smile .
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:19 am

Hello All,

What about...."Reiki energies can only do good...Yet Reiki practitioners are imperfect".

Our interpretation of a situation can be skewed at times. Therefore we may not perceiving things correctly. This seems to be where I`m at personally in this subject....For what it`s worth...

Smile RJ
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:21 am

Reikijim wrote:

Our interpretation of a situation can be skewed at times. Therefore we may not perceiving things correctly. This seems to be where I`m at personally in this subject....For what it`s worth...

This is true, imo. It's why it's a bit crazy to assume it's ok to do absent healing on another with no permision. Simply cause it suits our own personal interpretation of life! lol!
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:06 am

Pandora wrote:Does the sentence "Reiki can do no harm" mean the same as "Reiki can only do good"?

IMO, not necessarily Smile

There is an old adage, often heard in relation to European 'herbal lore' traditions, and later found in many disciplines from homoeopathic medicine, to the practices of Animal Magnetism/mesmeric healing, to Qi Gung, to Seiki Teate (and several more modern forms of complementary therapy):

It may be worded differently in each case, but the essential truth of the saying is always the same:

"That which can heal can also harm; that which cannot harm, neither can it heal"

[in some western traditions it is phrased more forcibly: “that which cannot kill, cannot cure”]

silent
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:16 am

Hi Wabi-sabi

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:...I don't believe Reiki is an "intelligent energy"...

I don't believe Reiki is an "intelligent energy" either

Intelligent, perhaps - but energy ... ?

Neutral
    o0wabi-sabi0o
    o0wabi-sabi0o

Post by o0wabi-sabi0o Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:29 am

Rlei_ki wrote:Hi Wabi-sabi

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:...I don't believe Reiki is an "intelligent energy"...

I don't believe Reiki is an "intelligent energy" either

Intelligent, perhaps - but energy ... ?

Neutral

Exactly. study lol!
    Reiki'Light
    Reiki'Light

Reports of Reiki causing harm - Page 2 Empty Getting rid of healing crisis

Post by Reiki'Light Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:27 am

Hi everybody,

I would like to ask an advice to you all.

Does somebody knows technique or a way to get rid of « Healing Crisis » quickly?
    (else than drinking water)

Thank you for all your good advices.

Love and light

Reiki'Light
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:57 am

Just a quick note. Lots of Reiki! It's quite alright to let yourself have many hours of Reiki per day, if you feel it warranted. I once at 3 hours of self-treatments per day, for 6 weeks, which was pretty cool!

You mentioning drinking water, alongside 'healing crisis'. Are you recently initiated into a new level in Reiki? Some teachers feel if a student is told to possibly expect a 'healing crisis' they will. I know at least one teacher whom has tested this, and his students don't report anything. Just something to ponder over. Things may not be as uncomfortable as thought, Smile.

Good to see you posting!
    awaken
    awaken

Post by awaken Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:04 am

i concur. more reiki, to quicken the healing process.
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Reiki'Light wrote:Hi everybody,

I would like to ask an advice to you all.

Does somebody knows technique or a way to get rid of « Healing Crisis » quickly?
    (else than drinking water)

Thank you for all your good advices.

Love and light

Reiki'Light

Hi,

If the healing crisis is connected to a Reiki attunement then, I would suggest a meditation like Hatsurie ho for example...along with self treatment.

Smile RJ
    Reiki'Light
    Reiki'Light

Post by Reiki'Light Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:55 pm

Thank you for your advices.

it's not concerning an attunement, but after healing sessions.

Do you have other advices about it? is it different in this case?

Thanks in advance.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:17 pm

Takata sensei told sometimes an ailment may actually get worse. This is to be looked on favourably, and is a sign of healing taking place. First thing i'd advise, is you make the client aware of this. If the client begins to see the changes they're expereincing, as a sign of healing, it may have a favourable effect on the whole situation. Perception is everything, in life, and particularly in Reiki, Smile.

Other than that, more Reiki still. If it seems that a few treatments may be needed on an on-going basis, perhaps it'd be advised for the client to learn level 1 if the practitioner can initiate.. This way it works out more economical. This is also the approach Takata sensei took.

If the initial fee is too much for the client, then they teacher has the discretion on what is acceptable.

Also, when a practitioner assist another in experiencing Reiki, we've an obligation to the cleint that doesn't end with the treatment, imo. So if the cleint encounters something they feel uncomfortable, perhaps it should be looked at the option of more treatments to help. It's be a bit much to ask for full payment perhaps, so agian the practitioner can decide themselves what the calling is, for them. Possibly reduced rate, or free treatment, for any percieved crisis?

Take care
    Wayne
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:04 am

The "healing crisis" is not just a Reiki phenomenon, you know. It is expected in every therapy I've trained in, including counselling and psychotherapy! The phrase "healing reaction" is probably better. Some of the advice from other therapies is that it's a sign that you need to look after yourself, so eat properly (more fruit and veg), try and get 8 hours sleep, maybe take some exercise and get some fresh air, take some vitamins. Or it could be nothing to do with the therapy, it could just be a cold or something.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:21 am

I started a thread on this a few months ago. Take a look at it and see if it helps out at all.

http://www.reikilearninglounge.com/reiki-general-f1/reports-of-reiki-causing-harm-t6.htm
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:11 pm

Moderator has merged topics.
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:41 pm

On a related topic, I get chiropractic and massage regularly and I sometimes feel "off" or "different" for a day after having the work done. Sometimes my nose starts running for a day or so, as if sloughing off stuff. Bodywork of any form seems to stir things up and can make me feel uncomfortable or moody as I'm processing and healing. But usually soon after that I feel a lot better.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Dragonfly wrote:On a related topic, I get chiropractic and massage regularly and I sometimes feel "off" or "different" for a day after having the work done. Sometimes my nose starts running for a day or so, as if sloughing off stuff. Bodywork of any form seems to stir things up and can make me feel uncomfortable or moody as I'm processing and healing. But usually soon after that I feel a lot better.

Sounds like the body adjusting to balance itself. bounce
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:02 am

chi_solas wrote:
    Sounds like the body adjusting to balance itself. bounce

Yes, absolutely and I have learned to recognize and appreciate the process. For example, I was very emotional on Saturday after getting a much-needed adjustment and mini-massage and as usual, it made my nose runny the day after. But today I feel more balanced energetically and realized that I also slept quite deeply last night.

Someone who is not aware of the potential for these processes to occur may wonder why they sometimes feel worse before they get better - or just not make the connection at all and think, "That healing work did nothing for me."
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 am

Dragonfly wrote:
    Someone who is not aware of the potential for these processes to occur may wonder why they sometimes feel worse before they get better - or just not make the connection at all and think, "That healing work did nothing for me."

Very good point Dana. The more a practitioner knows about this, they can relay tihns possibility gently to the client.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:04 pm