Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+7
AlienProgeny
chi_solas
Colin
Dragonfly
Pandora
EzriReiki
Milarepa
11 posters

Did Hawayo Takata feel the need to lie about Reiki history?

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Did Hawayo Takata feel the need to lie about Reiki history? Empty Did Hawayo Takata feel the need to lie about Reiki history?

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:34 am

These are posts from my facebook group, of research that only took me 48 hours to do. The stuff wrote here is all fact, and most of it is completely independant of anything to do with Reiki. I've collated it, and restructured it to be more cohesive for this post. There's literally 100's of things to show there was very, very little anti-Japanese sentiment, here's just a handful. Thanks for reading.

Did Hawayo Takata lie about things because of anti-Japanese sentiment?

We all know the assumption that Hawayo Takata lied about certain aspects of Reiki history in order to make it more 'appealing' to the anti-Japanese feelings in USA, post-WW2. How accurate could this reason be?

It's true that during World War 2, there was anti-Japanese feelings in USA. Even as far as interning the whole of the Japanese population, including buddhists. However, what's also true is that after their release, Buddhists began to have some semi-celebrities (writers) take an interest in Zen, in the 1940's & 1950's. Zen buddhists, even enjoyed growth in their numbers in the 1960's & 1970's in USA. In 1959, Robert Aitken, (an american POW in Japan in the war) founded the Diamond Sangha in Honolulu, Hawaii. Home state of Hawayo Takata.

Karate, as we know is from Japan, was brought to the USA in 1945 by american soldiers. With people like Tsutomu Ohshima going to UCLA in 1955, and founding the first Karate club in US in 1957 in Caltech. In the 1960's Karate began to spring up all over the US.

Origami began to be introduced to the US by Lillian Oppenheimer, from the late 1940's onwards.

Some more interesting points:

1. July 26th, 1952: Tommy Kono becomes first Japanese American gold medallist.

2. Dec 1952: First Japanese television show broadcast in Hawaii.

3. April 1955: "California's amazing Japanese" by Demaree Bess, Saturday Evening Post. "The Japanese residents of California have lifted themselves higher in a few post-war years than they did in the preceding century, and the agitation against them has almost been silenced".

4. March 26th, 1958: Miyoshi Numeki wins an academy award for best supporting actress, in 'Sayonara'.

5. In 1959, Hawaii (the only state where Japanese weren't mass interned), became the 50th state. Daniel Inouye was the first Japanese American elected to the House of Representatives.

6. November 6th, 1962: Idaho voters vote by 123,542 to 41,206 to approve a constituition ammendment extending basic american rights to naturalized asian americans. Idaho was the LAST state to hold restrictions.

7. In 1962, Daniel Inouye becomes first Japanese American elected to the Senate.

8. In 1974, Norman Mineta was elected first mainland Japanese American to the House of Representatives.

The talk in which Hawayo Takata said about the disputed aspects of Reiki history, was made in 1979. As we can see, there was even very little anti-Japanese sentiment in the 1950's, never mind over 20 years later.

Last edited by Milarepa on Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarifying 'mass-internment')
    EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

Did Hawayo Takata feel the need to lie about Reiki history? Empty Re: Did Hawayo Takata feel the need to lie about Reiki history?

Post by EzriReiki Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:44 am

Hello Wayne
    Milarepa wrote:

5. In 1959, Hawaii (the only state where Japanese weren't interned).

This is not quite right.
    Hawaii was not not yet a US state during the war, and some Japanese and Japanese-American residents were interned, not all, but probably more than a thousand. (The Japanese made up such a large proportion of Hawaii's workforce that sending them all to internment camps would have crippled the economy.) Some were interned at a facility on the island of Oahu originally at Sand Island and later, Honouliuli Internment Camp, some at Haiku Internment Camp on Maui, some at Kilauea Military Camp on Big Island, some at Kalaheo Stockade on Kauai. A few were even taken to camps on the US mainland.

EZRI

Last edited by EzriReiki on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Did Hawayo Takata feel the need to lie about Reiki history? Empty Re: Did Hawayo Takata feel the need to lie about Reiki history?

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:53 am

Yeah, with more than 158,000+ Japanese/Americans in Hawaii, only maybe 1500 were interned, what's that, 1%. With 62% of those again being American citizens, as in nissei (american born/american citizens), and not Japanese (as i wrote). taking it down to 48% (some official figures place it 40%) of maybe 1500 people. The internment very minor.

Appreciate you pointing out my grammatical error with combining past & present tense also.
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:49 am

There is a fundamental misunderstanding by the West of Eastern thinking, and particularly the concept of "truth".

To us in the West, "truth" is that which can be independently proven, discovered by research, confirmed by sources and referenced.

To Eastern minds, particularly Chinese/Japanese minds, "truth" exists independently of "facts". "Truth" can be illustrated by concepts, ideas, stories. Take, for instance, the parables of Jesus Christ, or Buddhist teaching stories (some of which bear an uncanny resemblance to some of the stories about Usui's life). In this paradigm, what we know as "facts" are subservient to the underlying "truth" which needs to be understood.

Of course, this all makes any search for "what Usui taught" or "the truth about Reiki" basically redundant because we have a fundamental misconception about the exact nature of what it is that we will find.

If that is the case, then, why do we use the word "lie" to describe what Mrs Takata told us? Why use such emotive language, unless you deliberately want to discredit her teaching? Why not use a word such as "parables" or "teaching stories"?

Mrs Takata taught what she did, how she did, using the words that she did, because she came from the culture that she did. People who try and straddle cultures, especially those who are trying to convey concepts which are alien in one of the cultures, often use language that doesn't really get the meaning across because of the gap between those cultures.

To appease Western requirements for a reference for this thinking, read "The Geography of Thought" by Richard Nesbit.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:02 am

Hey, nice to see you back!

Pandora wrote:
    If that is the case, then, why do we use the word "lie" to describe what Mrs Takata told us? Why use such emotive language, unless you deliberately want to discredit her teaching? Why not use a word such as "parables" or "teaching stories"?

Imo, it's been vital Takata sensei is discredited in order for the originality styles to have a purpose of existence.

You're completely right, why not use 'teaching stories' etc. Although, there's another avenue. Why not use 'she told the truth'. That's an avenue i'm embarking on, i'll post info here, and on the facebook group, it'd be great if you took an interest.

i'm also waiting on word back from folks in Hawaii, re: another aspect i'm working on, so stay tuned for that! Smile.

Pandora wrote:
    Mrs Takata taught what she did, how she did, using the words that she did, because she came from the culture that she did. People who try and straddle cultures, especially those who are trying to convey concepts which are alien in one of the cultures, often use language that doesn't really get the meaning across because of the gap between those cultures.

This is the thing. Takata sensei was born in a US state, by two Japanese parents, and brought up with a Japanese background. Although some of her training was in Japan, she of course was also very much in touch with US sociological aspects. In particular, right up to 1979, when she said the Reiki history. She knew both cultures intimately, Smile.

You've hit on something else i'm working on atm also, hehe.

Warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:07 am

Thanks for the information. I know this is an area of big interest to you, Wayne.

I do agree with a lot of what Chris says, and even though Takata Sensei was Japanese-American and quite familiar with American culture, etc., clearly there's something more here that we're missing.

Is it possible she was asked not to share or advised to change elements of information about Reiki's history by Dr. Hayashi?
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 am

Dragonfly wrote:

I do agree with a lot of what Chris says, and even though Takata Sensei was Japanese-American and quite familiar with American culture, etc., clearly there's something more here that we're missing.

What's making you say there's something we're missing?

Dragonfly wrote:
    Is it possible she was asked not to share or advised to change elements of information about Reiki's history by Dr. Hayashi?

It's possible, for sure. Though there has to be reasons why this would be required.

Synchronicity with you & I here, hehe. I've just been researching for an hour or so exactly what Takata sensei did sya in the Reiki history audio.

It's made clear that Hayashi sensei told her everything she repeated. she said she never met Usui sensei.

1. Usui sensei was a genius, philosopher, scholar.

2. Travelled to US for 7 years.

3. Studied Chinese characters of sutras

4. Tale of toothace girl at bottom on Kurama, Usui sensei shows amazement/seeks verification girl is tellin gtruth bout result (don't we all firt time with Reiki)

5. Said Hayashi sensei never once changed the system.

point 1 is also wrote on the Usui memeorial.

point 2 is a really interesting one. Proof has been hard to come by for the trip to US and the Chicago university. We can see though, that not only Hayashi sensei, but also the students involved in the memorial felt that Usui sensei had at least went to the US.

point 3, at the very least shows a chinese connection, which is strengthened on the memorial, by an actual visit.

point 4 is a great one. Prob every single Reiki person has been amazed at the effect of Reiki for the first time, on a recipient of theirs. It's very, very, common, and very human, for us to ask the recipient 'is it really gone'? As Takata sensei said Usui sensei did for the first time.

point 5 speaks for itself.

Thanks for taking an interest!

Warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Dragonfly wrote:

What's making you say there's something you're missing?

Sorry, maybe I should try to clarify. Chris talks about how the idea of "truth" is culturally different in the East and the West. Takata sensei straddled both cultures and thus was familiar with both, yet chose deliberately to teach in a style that may have occluded certain elements of "factual truth," which is different from "spiritual truth."

The stories of Usui sensei traveling to the U.S. sort of baffled me. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but just somehow odd to me that there is no way to verify the possibility that he did. 7 years is a long time to be in this country and have no trail anywhere. Granted, it was at least 100 years ago and it's unlikely you can find passenger manifests from ships that sailed from Japan to the U.S., but if he was a spiritual teacher surely he must have stayed with someone or had direct contact with people who talked about or remembered this man from Japan! That's my personal take on it, though.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:00 am

Dragonfly wrote:

Sorry, maybe I should try to clarify. Chris talks about how the idea of "truth" is culturally different in the East and the West. Takata sensei straddled both cultures and thus was familiar with both, yet chose deliberately to teach in a style that may have occluded certain elements of "factual truth," which is different from "spiritual truth."

Yeah Chris's point was really good. there's things like the story of how Takata sensei raised someone from the dead, and various other stories like the one told on audio about a guy working in a chicken factory, getting his finger cut of, then Reiki being used and it was totally healed.

Dragonfly wrote:
    The stories of Usui sensei traveling to the U.S. sort of baffled me. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but just somehow odd to me that there is no way to verify the possibility that he did. 7 years is a long time to be in this country and have no trail anywhere. Granted, it was at least 100 years ago and it's unlikely you can find passenger manifests from ships that sailed from Japan to the U.S., but if he was a spiritual teacher surely he must have stayed with someone or had direct contact with people who talked about or remembered this man from Japan! That's my personal take on it, though.

Really good pionts. Though i was thinking bout this as i was walking to the toilet, hehe earlier - folks havn't been able to find verification, as of yet. that doesn't mean neither you, myself, nor anyone else would'nt find the verification, if we looked.

James wrote an interesting article once, about a guy who changed his name to go to US, and went & studied there, taking a western name. May seem odd to us now, but we weren't there then. It'd be interesting, to find out if this occurence was common practice, and just why was it. I'm gonna put that on my list, tbh. Cause it's important, as the doshisha/chigago things are used to invalidate almost everything she said.

When Usui sensei went to US, it was to study, not to teach, so he'd be just another student.

In the years immediately following the reopening of Japanese ports to foreign trade, it was still very difficult for Japanese citizens to get permission to leave the county, yet in 1864, a 21 year old samurai named Niijima Jou (1843-1890) secretly found passage on a ship to the U.S. (via China) with the intent of studying Christianity and science

Settling in Massachusetts, he attended Amherst College and Andover Theological Seminary; eventually, in 1874, becoming ordained as a Protestant minister.

However, at the time, had you contacted either Amherst College or the Andover Seminary enquiring as to whether or not an individual named Niijima Jou had attended their establishment, you may well have received an answer something along the lines of the one William Rand received from the University of Chicago, concerning Mikao Usui (see above)

i.e., that their records did not indicate that Niijima Jou ever attended the establishment.

And the reason for this?

In the US, Niijima Jou, had adopted the name Joseph Hardy Neesima. (Jou became Joe became Joseph, Niijima became Neesima, and as to the middle name, Hardy, this was the surname of the people who sponsored his stay in the US)

And in taking a westernised name, Niijima Jou / Joseph Hardy Neesima could perhaps be seen to have set a precedent.
    For, over the years it became a not too uncommon practice amongst Japanese students travelling to western countries to adopt western names (or at very least, westernised versions of their original Japanese names) [9]

[Which begs the question: Could it be that when Usui-sensei went to the US [10] he had also adopted this practice?[11] ]

For some, like Neesima, the westernised name was a baptismal one[12] - an outward sign of the individual's Christian faith[13], for others, taking a western name was simply part of their immersion in western culture, part of their desire to 'fit in'.

On returning home, some kept their western names (a statement of their westernisation/modernisation), some did not.

Niijima Jou, on returning to Japan in 1874, retained the westernised name Joseph Hardy Neesima.

In 1875, he opened his own Eigakko (Academy) in Kyoto.

Initially having only eight students, Neesima's academy steadily grew into an important centre for education, and by 1920, had evolved into a full-blown, private Daigaku (University) - yet it still bore its original name: Doshisha.

Source: http://www.aetw.org/reiki_japanese_christianity.htm

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:21 am

I agree; I think it would be possible, although difficult, to find some proof that he had spent time in the U.S. And I also agree that he probably changed/Westernized his name. After all, many immigrants who came over (including my great-grandparents) had their names changed to make spelling and pronounciation easier (as well as to reduce the "ethnic" sound of the name) so it's entirely possible if Usui sensei was here as a student, he may have adopted the same convention.

It also seems to me that given Usui sensei's accomplishments, there would be no need to lie about whether or not he had spent time studying in the U.S. The system of Reiki he developed stands on its own merit, even if he had never left Japan.

Stories about spiritual teachers are so important in Eastern culture. Every time I go to India, I am always asked if I'm familiar with Gautama Buddha. I say that I am, that I studied Buddhism and practice meditation. Then, without fail, the person who asked me the question proceeds to tell me about the Buddha's life and how he reached enlightenment. It doesn't matter that I already know the story; it's the telling of it that is important. And further to that point, no one can verify if the incidents that Gautama Buddha witnessed that led him to leave his family in search of spiritual truth are "true" either. But they are so deeply embedded in the story that it would be pointless to question them either! They have their purpose and I'm sure the next time I go to India, I'll hear it again!
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:52 am

Dragonfly wrote: After all, many immigrants who came over (including my great-grandparents) had their names changed to make spelling and pronounciation easier (as well as to reduce the "ethnic" sound of the name) so it's entirely possible if Usui sensei was here as a student, he may have adopted the same convention.

where did your great-grandparents come from?

Dragonfly wrote:
    It also seems to me that given Usui sensei's accomplishments, there would be no need to lie about whether or not he had spent time studying in the U.S. The system of Reiki he developed stands on its own merit, even if he had never left Japan.

Yeah, i feel this also. The issue isn't just the Chicago thing, but the doshisha also. the Chicago thing could be suggested cause of a name change, but the doshisha, hmm. I havn't looked at that in-depth, but it's interesting the founder of doshisha actually travelled under an assumed name himself. Until i try to check, i can't see why Usui sensei, or the doshisha founder might want Usui sensei's name changed. Though, if for whatever reason, Usui sensei did want his name changed, it might be easily acceptible for Niijima Jou to permit that, given his own background.

Dragonfly wrote:
    It doesn't matter that I already know the story; it's the telling of it that is important.

Yeah, Alliance folks would totally agree with this also!

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 am

Here is a link to Phyllis Furumoto's Reiki Radio show, where she is interviewing Paul Mitchell (another of Takata's Master students) about the Reiki Story as told by Mrs Takata. One of the interesting things comes up is that, although some of the points in her story cannot be currently verified as facts, it is the telling of the story itself which is an important part of teaching the system of Reiki as it conveys an energy of its own, which is not present when a list of historically researched facts are presented instead of the Reiki story.

http://www.reikitalkshow.com/shows/view/69/archive_page:1

The Reiki story is said to have this energy rather like the creation stories present in most cultures are told time after time and have an energy with them, regardless of whether they are factual or not. It is the act of storytelling itself which is important and has been for thousands of years. Mrs Takata was an excellent storyteller! Very Happy

Having said all that, I still think it is important (as Reiki Teachers, not necessarily as practitioners) to know where the system of Reiki came from and as much as possible about the people involved and what was going on around that time. This way we can have a better understanding of who and/or what may have influenced Mikao Usui, Chujiro Hayashi and Hawayo Takata.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 pm

excerpts from Donna Przecha
    Author of They Changed Our
    Name at Ellis Island began
    genealogy in 1970 when living
    in Ogden, Utah.

They Changed Our Name at Ellis Island
    by Donna Przecha

How Spellings Really Changed In this article, expert Donna Przecha dispels some common myths about name-changing at various points of immigration.

We have all heard someone say that their family name was "changed by the inspectors at Ellis Island." Nowadays our names are recorded when we are born and are virtually never changed. You can still use any name you want as long as you do not intend to defraud but, in fact, with drivers' licenses, social security numbers, credit cards, etc., it is just too complicated to try to alter your name except through a court proceeding.

People seem to feel that it was the same way at the turn of the century. They think that immigrants had one correct way to spell their name in the old country, when they encountered the clerk at Ellis Island it was changed to something else and then it was spelled that way ever after in America. The explanation usually is that the immigrant spoke little or no English, so either the immigrant inadvertently gave an incorrect reply to the question of "What is your name?" or the clerk misunderstood the name or decided it was too complicated.

In reality, it is highly unlikely that this happened. The Immigration and Naturalization Service has a good article on immigrant name changes that explains why this wonderful story is a myth: the clerks at Ellis Island didn't write down names. They worked from lists that were created by the shipping companies. What usually happened was the emigrant bought a ticket from an office near his home. So, the seller probably spoke the same language and transcribed the name correctly. In cases where the name was recorded incorrectly, it likely occurred in the old country, not at Ellis Island.

There are several questions to consider when talking about the accuracy of name spellings on records:

When the record was created, was there a standard ("correct") way to spell the name?

Did the individual know how to spell the name himself? (Was he literate?)

If he did not write the name himself, did the recording clerk ask him his preferred spelling?

So much of the time, the answer to at least one of these questions was "no." However, let us assume that your emigrant knew how to spell his name and it was written correctly on the list created by the shipping company and used by the inspectors at Ellis Island. When he arrived at Ellis Island, he was checked against the list. With all the immigrants coming through the facility, many translators were employed so language problems were rare.

Bear in mind that name changes were often made by the immigrants themselves. Let's see what some of those possible reasons are.

Employment
    The vast majority of immigrants came to the United States to get jobs. There was a huge pool of workers, usually unskilled, who were desperate to work. Employers didn't have to abide by anti-discriminatory laws and were not given sensitivity training. They often found foreign names difficult and preferred workers who were somewhat Americanized. If an immigrant had family or friends who arrived earlier they may have advised the new arrival to take an easier, more Americanized name. Similarly, a boss may have found the foreign name too difficult to say and suggested a simpler name (he might say, for example, "That name is too difficult for me. How about I call you Sam?"). The new employee didn't object and he may have just decided to use the new name for everything. And, since wages were usually paid in cash, he didn't have to worry about a name on a check being the same as the bank account or a Social Security investigation.

Fitting In
    Assimilating into American culture is another reason why your ancestors might have changed their names. While some immigrants came with the idea of working for a while and returning home, most came to stay forever. Many wanted to become Americans as fast as possible so they changed their style of clothes and adopted a more American name.

who Changed Your Name? Your Ancestor
    If your family name underwent a change in America, you can be pretty certain that the only person responsible for the modification was your ancestor, not an inspector at Ellis Island! And, it is important to remember that the name may have evolved over time. Keep this in mind as you hunt for your immigrant ancestor in the records of his new homeland.

Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:12 pm

In the case of my great-grandparents (fyi: I was legally adopted by my stepfather, so these are technically his grandparents) they emigrated from Russia and their name was changed at Ellis Island to something easier to pronounce. In fact, we have copies of the papers showing the name change.

Wayne, it will be interesting to see what information you can find. I agree with Colin that as teachers, it is important for us to understand the history as much as we can but at the same time, respect the stories as important teaching tools where we can learn more subtle truths.
    AlienProgeny
    AlienProgeny
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by AlienProgeny Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Hello,

I'd like to contribute to this thread with a bit of history from my own family. My Grandmother married my Grandfather after the Korean war. They were unable to return to the US until around 1952 due to a law involving race restrictions in immigration, and something about her being a soldier's bride. Prior to that, a Great-Aunt of mine attended college in California, and was there when war with Japan started. While in high school, I asked my Grandmother about the internment camps and if she was ever in one. That is when she told me about her still being in Japan at the time and her sister going to school in California. She told me that her sister was rounded up and detained for a couple of days, but she was never taken to a camp. This was due to her being in college at the time. I wish I had more details but that is about all I know of what happened. My Grandmother did also say however, that my Aunt was treated "very poorly". Not by the Government, but by the people.

On a related note. I did a search and found an article that I think might add to this discussion.

http://reikidigest.blogspot.com/2010/01/piece-of-reiki-history-hawayo-takatas.html

In the photos included with the article we can see the original sign Takata Sensei had outside her clinic, as well as an advertisement for her services. A couple of things to look at:

1) On the sign, it is plain to see that the word "Reiki" was reduced and "Hawaii Health" was painted over it.

2) In the newspaper advertisment, she did use the word "Reiki" to describe her services.

In regards to the sign, why the change? Could this be evidence in support of the "Takata created a story..." theory that we are looking at? She does use the "reiki" word in the ad, but the date it was placed is in 1941, before the attack on Pearl Harbor. Maybe the ad is an artifact of before she made "the change", and the sign is an artifact of after. Maybe, she did change the story of Reiki's history and stuck with that version even after the tensions towards the Japanese eased. It is such a fascinating topic!!

Many layers on this onion of Reiki history..... Did Hawayo Takata feel the need to lie about Reiki history? Icon_lol.

Jotaro
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi Jotaro,
    The sign is something i've been researching. I just got word back from the University of Hawaii, to do with that, and something else tied in. It'll take me days to go through the material, but when i do i'll post it. I'm hopeing there might be another possible reason to show.

With the newspaper article prior to pearl harbour, it's possible the sign was after. It's also possible that the sign was altered cause of pearl harbour. There's a big jump in years, to 1979, when Takata said the audio history though. And as i beleive i'm showing, animosity toward Japanese did wane over the years. We're talking over 40 years here. with the sign dated no later than 1950 (?) And the California newspaper (i quoted) said in 1955 that animosity had almost ceased. The dates are very important.

Warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:37 pm

Double posting here, hehe.

I've been looking at something to do with the certificate for another reason, but i've came across things that tie in with the sign, and gives an alternate possibility. Most of it is fact, some of it is possibility, make your own mind up, Smile.

It can clearly be seen that the sign had previously said 'Reiki'. And was now 'Hawaii Health Studio'. Would Takata sensei have changed this in response to anti-Japanese sentiment? Possibly.

Although, she didn't try to hard to change the sign, cause 'Reiki' can still clearly be seen on it.

One thing she couldn't have changed was herself. A pure blood Japanese woman, who looked Japanese, and also spoke with an oriental accent in english. Then again, with 150,000+ Japanese freely going about their business in Hawaii post-Pearl Harbour, that was nothing out of the ordinary. Would an obviously Japanese woman who was delivering services to the pulbic, need to hide something Japanese, since 1/3 of the poplulation was Japanese itself? Maybe, but it's also quite unlikely. The ecomony needed Japanese in Hawaii to work. 'Reiki' is still easily saw on the sign after 60 years, so it makes no sense why someone would partially only erase it. Unless, 'Reiki' wasn't the reason the sign was changed!

What if the change of sign had to do with something else completely? Perhaps changing winds in the law?

Kahuna Healing is an energy healing system based upon ancient Hawaiian shamanic wisdom and methods. Foregoing the elaborate rituals and format of ancient days, healing is done in a direct, powerful and simple manner. Kahuna practitioners receive initiations into ancient Hawaiian Kahuna Healing Councils whose powerful healing energies are channeled to the client. Kahuna initiations include an opening of the third eye or intuitive center, which allows the practitioner greater awareness and sensitivity to the client's physical body and aura.

The true Hawaiian healing energy is very loving and direct, and it can be received in many settings or formats. Most sessions, however, are given in a quiet, private healing room. The client usually sits on a chair or lies on a massage table with his clothes on. The Kahuna practitioner then centers and balances the client before each session, before slowly passing his hands through the client's aura, about 3 to 6 inches from the physical body. There is no strict protocol. Rather, the healer's hands are drawn to those areas that need healing. The healing energy is usually received as spiraling heat or tingling throughout the entire body.

Source: http://www.hawaiiankahuna.com/Hawaiian%20Kahuna%20Healing.htm

It's hard to fail to notice the similarities with Reiki. Would Hawaiians notice it also? If i can, i bet they could!

In 1886 legislature, the 'Kingdom of Hawaii' banned 'curing through superstitious methods'.

In 1905 Kahunas/native healers were outlawed under the revised laws Hawaii, chapter 89, section 1077.

In 1919, Hawaii medicine board licensed Kahuna healers.

Could there have been some 'disagreement' between Kahuna healers & Reiki? would Kahuna healers highly guard their identity, particularly after being legally abolished for many years? Politics in sprituality, and indeed complementary therapies have been going on for god knows how long. I dunno, it's only another thing to ponder atm.

Massage, and indeed Lomilomi (native Hawaiian massage, etc, but more than simple massage) didn't require any license until legislation in 1945. With the massage law enacted in 1947. The interesting thing about the massage law, was that a huge proportion of the native healers either didn't want to take the exams or weren't able to. They consisted of anatomy, physiology and massage theory. With a lot of renowned healers being illiterate to begin with. This forced Lomilomi underground for many, many years.

Now, if I was a therapist then, and i saw suddenly a huge gap in the market created within such a short space of time, and i was educated, and already had [i]all[i/] the neccessary skills, then heck, i'd make my business to follow that need, and advertise accordingly!

Bearing in mind Takata sensei actually never did stop advertising Reiki, as it's been clearly saw on the sign some 60 years later still!

Warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi Wayne

That is all quite interesting and good to know. Thanks for sharing your research on that subject.
    Milaprepa wrote:
    Massage, and indeed Lomilomi (native Hawaiian massage, etc, but more than simple massage) didn't require any license until legislation in 1945. With the massage law enacted in 1947. The interesting thing about the massage law, was that a huge proportion of the native healers either didn't want to take the exams or weren't able to. They consisted of anatomy, physiology and massage theory. With a lot of renowned healers being illiterate to begin with. This forced Lomilomi underground for many, many years.

Now, if I was a therapist then, and i saw suddenly a huge gap in the market created within such a short space of time, and i was educated, and already had [i]all[i/] the neccessary skills, then heck, i'd make my business to follow that need, and advertise accordingly!

Bearing in mind Takata sensei actually never did stop advertising Reiki, as it's been clearly saw on the sign some 60 years later still!

This still doesn't answer the question as to why the original sign with the word REIKI on it was over-painted to use the phrase: 'Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments'.

Looking at the advert from 26 Feb 1941 from the Massage section of the classified ads, it says that Mrs H.Takata offers "Reiki treatments, massage, cabinet baths."

On the sign, which presumably dates from after then, it says H, Takata offers "Steam Baths, Swedish Massage and Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments"

Since Takata often referred to treating the various glands (rather than chakras) when teaching Reiki and often used the example of a radio set when talking about how Reiki worked and finished her Reiki session with what she called the Nerve Stroke, it would appear that her "Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments" are really Reiki under a non-Japanese name.

The Massage Laws presumably dealt with practitioners of massage (and Reiki is not massage). Mrs Takata was a massage therapist and the fact that she continued to advertise the fact in the classified ad and on the sign shows that she was probably a legally licenced massage practitioner as she didn't change the name or hide that she practiced massage.

The question is, did the massage act of 1947 mention about Reiki and is that why she felt she had to change the name? As many Reiki practitioners in New Jersey and Florida know, the massage boards are not happy about Reiki practitioners becoming popular and practicing without a massage licence! My assumption is that Reiki was still not well known enough to be mentioned by the massage boards in 1947 but if it was then that would be a reason for Takata to change the name of what she did, especially as she appeared to use her Nerve Stroke Reiki finish on a naked back using sesame oil.

This is a really interesting discussion!

Very Happy
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:50 pm

Colin wrote:

This still doesn't answer the question as to why the original sign with the word REIKI on it was over-painted to use the phrase: 'Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments'.

nerve-gland..' etc is the smallest writing, at the bottom, and is'nt the main focal point of the new sign. it never covered up 'Reiki', casue nothing did, 'Reiki' was never properly took off. which would have been required if the reason was a hostile environment such as most assume. i know you weren't getting at that though! Smile

Colin wrote:
    The Massage Laws presumably dealt with practitioners of massage (and Reiki is not massage). Mrs Takata was a massage therapist and the fact that she continued to advertise the fact in the classified ad and on the sign shows that she was probably a legally licenced massage practitioner as she didn't change the name or hide that she practiced massage.

There was no legal requirement for massge until 1945, and it wasn't implemented till 1947. the classified ad was 1941 and the sign was no longer valid after 1950. As the sign was changed, it just as feasible it was changed in 1947 out of a business idea, to change to focus of the business. For the next 3 years. 1947-1950.

Colin wrote:
    The question is, did the massage act of 1947 mention about Reiki and is that why she felt she had to change the name? As many Reiki practitioners in New Jersey and Florida know, the massage boards are not happy about Reiki practitioners becoming popular and practicing without a massage licence! My assumption is that Reiki was still not well known enough to be mentioned by the massage boards in 1947 but if it was then that would be a reason for Takata to change the name of what she did, especially as she appeared to use her Nerve Stroke Reiki finish on a naked back using sesame oil.

The massage act doesn't neccessarily need to be tied in with Reiki, it does make the whole sign make more sense though. There was a very fast business opportunity in Hawaii to advertise massage. it's a smart business move to change the sign for that reason alone. although certainly a culmination of the factors we're suggesting could be true.

your last point is a good one, an new dynamic. a couple hours ago i sent an email to the Hawaiian state authorities seeking clarification of the legal requirements for massage, healing, and in particular, Reiki practitioners, in the latter 1930's. It was for another reason, but of course would tie in with this very well. I'll post here and & when i find out.

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:19 am

Milarepa wrote:
    nerve-gland..' etc is the smallest writing, at the bottom, and is'nt the main focal point of the new sign. it never covered up 'Reiki', casue nothing did, 'Reiki' was never properly took off. which would have been required if the reason was a hostile environment such as most assume. i know you weren't getting at that though! Smile

No, what I was "getting at" was the fact that the only thing that has really changed between the ad and the sign was the fact that one of the services Takata was offering was different. Massage and Cabinet Baths were still there but the Reiki in the advert became Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments. Why change the name unless there was some hostility or legal change required?

The fact that you can still just about make out the word REIKI in the background is more likely just a poor paint job than being purposely left partially visible, surely? For the reasons I gave in my previous post, it seems that what was being offered in both the advert and the sign is the same but with the Reiki now being called Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments, for whatever reason.

Why do you say the sign became "invalid" after 1950, by the way? Question
    Is that when Takata moved from that office?

Milarepa wrote:
    your last point is a good one, an new dynamic. a couple hours ago i sent an email to the Hawaiian state authorities seeking clarification of the legal requirements for massage, healing, and in particular, Reiki practitioners, in the latter 1930's. It was for another reason, but of course would tie in with this very well. I'll post here and & when i find out.

warmest wishes
    Wayne

Yes, that would be interesting, Wayne! Smile

I wish I wasn't so busy today because there are a couple of really interesting threads going on! Smile
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:39 am

Colin wrote:

No, what I was "getting at" was the fact that the only thing that has really changed between the ad and the sign was the fact that one of the services Takata was offering was different. Massage and Cabinet Baths were still there but the Reiki in the advert became Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments. Why change the name unless there was some hostility or legal change required?

what i'm fairly sure makes little sense, is that a woman who was Japanese, looked Japanese, sounded Japanese, who lived freely among a Japanese population that totalled 1/3 of entire population, needed to only partially get rid of the name 'Reiki', yet stil provide the exact same service under another name, because it was Japanese! Was nobody gonna notice..

It's a marketing issue maybe. 2/3 of the population maybe wouldn't have wanted to take Reiki, tough this is a far cry from outright animosity and a need to lie about other things. It makes perfect sense to change the name to attract more clients. And since there wasn't outright animosity, she wouldn't have needed to completely get rid of the word 'Reiki'. Think about it, if that word was such a big deal, living in Hawaii, she wouldn't have any advertising with it clearly being seen. If we can see it in such detail now, what ya think it was like 60 years ago?

i definitely think also it could be a legal issue, i initially suggested this earlier. It could be a number of factors, but form our shared chat, and what you're providing also, i don't think we're seeing here it's the animosity reason we were always lead to beleive.

Colin wrote:
    The fact that you can still just about make out the word REIKI in the background is more likely just a poor paint job than being purposely left partially visible, surely? For the reasons I gave in my previous post, it seems that what was being offered in both the advert and the sign is the same but with the Reiki now being called Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments, for whatever reason.

Sure it mightn't have been left on purpose, but it obviously wasn't that big a deal to go get a new sign, hehe. Yeah, for sure, it looks like you've a great point about the same thing being offered!

Colin wrote:
    Why do you say the sign became "invalid" after 1950, by the way? Question
    Is that when Takata moved from that office?

Wasn't it 1950 she moved from Hilo? She moved to Honollulu after that.
    Colin wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:

warmest wishes
    Wayne

Yes, that would be interesting, Wayne! Smile

I wish I wasn't so busy today because there are a couple of really interesting threads going on! Smile

Yeah i saw you logged of earlier. Things are bad when an admin, can't even risk his job to post on here! Hehe, only joking. It's great you're so involved. and in this topic also. It's good bouncing ideas of one another. Really useful bro!

Warmest wishes
    Wayne
    EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

Post by EzriReiki Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:33 am

Hello Colin

Colin wrote:

On the sign, which presumably dates from after then, it says H, Takata offers "Steam Baths, Swedish Massage and Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments"

Since Takata often referred to treating the various glands (rather than chakras) when teaching Reiki and often used the example of a radio set when talking about how Reiki worked and finished her Reiki session with what she called the Nerve Stroke, it would appear that her "Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments" are really Reiki under a non-Japanese name.

It is also possible that Takata's "Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments" were something other than Reiki. Erwin Schliephake was experimenting with Short wave treatments in 1929 and wrote a book Shortwave Therapy in 1932. Short wave therapy is also known as Short wave Diathermy, and there is a suggestion it gained some popularity in Japan in the 1930's

"In 1934 the Japanese Kenji ITO (the former president of ITO physio-therapy & rehabilitation) made the short wave therapy unit. However, researches and supply of devices soon stopped because of the long continued war. Later on, in Japan particular evolution of diathermy resulting to its popularization has been gained, and now the domestic therapy unit of SWD has been utilized widely. "
    source: http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mrshiida/Manual.htm

EZRI
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:36 am

Does anyone do the "nerve stroke" technique anymore? Is there a variant that we can do that would not be considered "manipulative" (as in massage)?

By the way, great discussion Wayne and Colin! Thank you both for all of your time and research!
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:27 am

EzriReiki wrote:Hello Colin

Colin wrote:

It is also possible that Takata's "Nerve-Gland-Shortwave Treatments" were something other than Reiki. Erwin Schliephake was experimenting with Short wave treatments in 1929 and wrote a book Shortwave Therapy in 1932. Short wave therapy is also known as Short wave Diathermy, and there is a suggestion it gained some popularity in Japan in the 1930's

"In 1934 the Japanese Kenji ITO (the former president of ITO physio-therapy & rehabilitation) made the short wave therapy unit. However, researches and supply of devices soon stopped because of the long continued war. Later on, in Japan particular evolution of diathermy resulting to its popularization has been gained, and now the domestic therapy unit of SWD has been utilized widely. "
    source: http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mrshiida/Manual.htm

EZRI

Thanks for that information, Ezri, I haven't come across that before! Smile

I suppose it is possible that Takata stopped openly advertising Reiki for a period and experimented with Diathermy. However, it sounds pretty scary and looks like it could be pretty dangerous in the wrong hands!

Interestingly, though, the first contraindication sounds very similar to that we read in some Western Reiki books:
    "Patients with internal and externally worn metallic objects and electromedical devices e.g. the cardiac pacemaker, bone nails, hairpins etc.. The electric lines of force are concentrated on the metallic devices. The frequency of pacemaker will be disturbed. Hairpins should be removed as the preliminaries, then it is able to apply the treatment."

I doubt she would stop practicing Reiki and giving Reiki treatments though, even if only by word of mouth and not openly advertised.

Smile
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:35 am

Dragonfly wrote:Does anyone do the "nerve stroke" technique anymore? Is there a variant that we can do that would not be considered "manipulative" (as in massage)?

By the way, great discussion Wayne and Colin! Thank you both for all of your time and research!

Hi Dana

Yes, many Reiki practitioners who use the so-called "Traditional Japanese Reiki Techniques" still do this technique or at least a fully clothed version. The Nerve Stroke is based on a technique taught by Chujiro Hayashi, called Ketsueki Kokan Ho (Blood Exchange (or Circulation) Technique), which, in its full version, can actually be used as a standalone technique as well as a way to finish off a Reiki session. Since it does involve stroking, patting and pushing it is best done only where there are no local laws against practicing Massage without a licence, as it is really a form of Reiki massage.

It is usually taught in styles such as Gendai, Komyo, Vortex and Jikiden Reiki.

I find it is a great way to come out of a Reiki session! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:41 am